The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I can understand the sentiment towards keeping this thread open. But this is hardly enough to live off of, let alone enough for "capital building" in the early stages of a Fastlane.

This may have been appealing when I was flat-out broke once upon a time, but knowing what I do now and as others have stated, there's just much better opportunities for an early stage entrepreneur to not only gain capital but gain the SKILLS necessary to succeed in the future. I can't say the same is true for the monotonous tasks common to MTurk.

While I agree, things are not one size fits all. When you're just starting, sometimes it's not about the numbers, but about the self-confidence. And striking a few little wins here and there. And we don't know WHO this thread will resonate with around the world, places where $3/hour is living large.

I'm trying to remember when I was 18 and was dying to make $5/hour ON MY OWN, versus $10/hour working for someone else.

Some people have different ways of sticking their toe in what's perceived as very cold water.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MTEE1985

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Jun 12, 2018
Arizona
It’s a potential side hustle and better than doing nothing. Good for OP if he’s happy what he’s doing.

The landfill calls I would say are about 1% about the presentation and 99% about the delivery being
like Ubermensch 2.0

I agree the information may be helpful to somebody, somewhere, but the forum doesn’t need the added bonus content of his daily personal activities and Starbucks drinking habits.

samuraijack

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Jul 27, 2014
New York, New York
There are businesses built off this Turk on the backend, like Split Testing, Optimization and Market Feedback Platform | PickFu

They charge users $1 per response, and pay the Turkers $0.06. Nice profit margin.

I would much rather be on the opposite end (Requester) than the Turker.

Can you use your INSIDERS knowledge and create a business to deliver value to paying customers using Turk in the backend?

yaponchik

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Jan 18, 2018
12 hours a day for 1k month is horrible.

If you have a large social circle and know a little photoshop you can easily make 800-$1200/month forging documents.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
@HUSTLIN HEATHEN Mechanical Turk is only for people in the US right?

There are businesses built off this Turk on the backend, like Split Testing, Optimization and Market Feedback Platform | PickFu

They charge users $1 per response, and pay the Turkers $0.06. Nice profit margin.

Pickfu is a bloodthirsty service. They used to be really affordable a couple years back but their prices has significantly increased over the past 2 years.

I'm surprised they don't have any direct competitor(s) or alternatives. I hope that will change soon so that these greedy pigs can be taken down several notches.

samuraijack

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Jul 27, 2014
New York, New York
@HUSTLIN HEATHEN Mechanical Turk is only for people in the US right?

Pickfu is a bloodthirsty service. They used to be really affordable a couple years back but their prices has significantly increased over the past 2 years.

I'm surprised they don't have any direct competitor(s) or alternatives. I hope that will change soon so that these greedy pigs can be taken down several notches.

I was almost about to use them once, did some research and realized why pay them when I can use Turk? (i havent used Turk yet). At the same time I don't really trust their responses on alot of surveys questions.

HUSTLIN HEATHEN

Contributor
Dec 5, 2018
Harlingen, TX
For now, I've moved this out of the Landfill to the Hustle/Freelancing forum per some community requests. That forum/category is more suited for these grinds where capital building is the starting point and not necessarily "Fastlane" or "CENTS".

BIG thanks to @MJ DeMarco for actually reading my post!

As I clearly stated, M-Turk is:

Neither Fast-Lane nor Slow-Lane.

A means to your end.

Like Uber, Fiverr, Upwork, etc.... A USEFUL SIDE HUSTLE TO ADD EXTRA INCOME.

$1000 a month? Don't make me laugh. I can make $1000 a day from any of my drop-shipping stores. As well as from other "wholesale/retail" ventures ;)

We've all gotta start somewhere. I started with zero connections. Donating plasma. Sleeping on an electric blanket for 5 months. Moving from one shitty 9-5 to the next.

Now I eat like a F*cking king. Pay all my own bills, drive my own car, and know half my town like family.

I stand by what I said. M-Turk is a great place to start for the aspiring entrepreneur.

F*cked around and paid some bills in the past 2 days:

Available Earnings 12:20.png

ANYBODY can do this. My sole intention is to add value and insight to this forum.

So if you have any general inquiries...or simply want to talk shit...LET'S CHAT motherfcker ;)

Bout to kill this wine bottle with the fam.

Enjoy your cheesy HBO specials.

HUSTLIN HEATHEN

**THANK YOU HATERS FOR BLOWING UP THIS THREAD <3**

samuraijack

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Jul 27, 2014
New York, New York
I stand by what I said. M-Turk is a great place to start for the aspiring entrepreneur.

It's a place. I wouldn't call it great. Great would be making the most of your situation & Turk is not it.

Fiverr, Upwork, etc.... A USEFUL SIDE HUSTLE TO ADD EXTRA INCOME.

$1000 a month? Don't make me laugh. I can make $1000 a day from any of my drop-shipping stores. As well as from other "wholesale/retail" ventures ;)

Building a scalable/transferable skill to make money on Fiverr & Upwork which is very different than doing repetitive manual tasks on Turk.

Are you being sarcastic? From all your post history, you are not making $1000 a day and see no reason why you would say that.

You recently posted that you were making $70 per day on average from Turk. No one who is making $1000 per day would waste time on that.

My sole intention is to add value and insight to this forum.

That may be true, but your posts have a lot of crap for people to filter out.

HUSTLIN HEATHEN

Contributor
Dec 5, 2018
Harlingen, TX
5k in 5 months? That's excellence to you?

I made 5k today, it took 3 years to get to that point but I learned the skills, put in the work, and created something of value.

Don't you think you're time would be better spent doing anything else?

Yes. On days I get high paying clients.

A 9-5 wage slave can "create something of value". But never on his/her own terms.

Excellence is forged at the red line.

The wolf at the top of the hill is never as hungry as the wolf climbing it.

Maybe you should spend your time re-reading Chapter 28.

Was your 5k made from purely self-employed profit?

HUSTLIN HEATHEN

Contributor
Dec 5, 2018
Harlingen, TX
It's a place. I wouldn't call it great. Great would be making the most of your situation & Turk is not it.

Building a scalable/transferable skill to make money on Fiverr & Upwork which is very different than doing repetitive manual tasks on Turk.

Are you being sarcastic? From all your post history, you are not making $1000 a day and see no reason why you would say that.

You recently posted that you were making $70 per day on average from Turk. No one who is making $1000 per day would waste time on that.

That may be true, but your posts have a lot of crap for people to filter out.

Subjective and irrelevant.

I never said Turking was my only income.

ALL substantial, self-employed gains come from chipping away at "repetitive manual tasks".

But if you were a real entrepreneur, I wouldn't have to remind you...

How exactly are you "making the most of your situation"?

HUSTLIN HEATHEN

Contributor
Dec 5, 2018
Harlingen, TX
Damn. Okay, I'll be honest. I'm studying and part time working, have small online business on the side and preparing for next one (bigger, atleast that's the plan). As I am in nice country I get money from school + salary + money from my online business (not much).
If I wouldn't be in school I would take part time job that covers living expenses and have even more time to work on projects.
I find my situation to be perfect, I can work very little and school is easy, therefore I can work on my projects pretty easily. Next year I'm planning to launch my projects and build my life on that.
So yeah, not rich, but in comfortable position to make considerably over 1000$ with little effort.

SLLLOOOWWWLANNNNEE ;))

Don't mean to be offending either....but there is no excellence in getting a handout from your school. Or government. Or Mommy and Daddy.

Maybe it's different in Europe.

But this post is for people who don't get handouts.

Even when I was grinding out $6/day sleeping on my floor eating beef jerky for breakfast lunch and dinner....I never once thought about getting food stamps. Or calling Mommy and Daddy.

TIME TO NUT UP AND BE A F*ckING MAN.

Still, the fact that you have an online business shows you've got some vision and persistence.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
SLLLOOOWWWLANNNNEE ;))

Don't mean to be offending either....but there is no excellence in getting a handout from your school. Or government. Or Mommy and Daddy.

Maybe it's different in Europe.

But this post is for people who don't get handouts.

Even when I was grinding out $6/day sleeping on my floor eating beef jerky for breakfast lunch and dinner....I never once thought about getting food stamps. Or calling Mommy and Daddy.

TIME TO NUT UP AND BE A f*ckING MAN.

Still, the fact that you have an online business shows you've got some vision and persistence.
Quit being a douche and people might want to listen to what you have to say

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I guess this is cool if you're 18 and need some supplemental income. Or if you live in Venezuela.

There are much better ways to make 'easy money' with no skills. Retail arbitrage is one, especially with phones, electronics, and toys. @UnrealCreative gave you another really good one: arbitrage Turking on Fiverr.

I implore everyone who is considering doing anything to understand how it fits into a long term plan. Doing something like this for $1k/mo is really not a great plan because it doesn't put you in front of people and it has a clear income cap. You're much better off waiting tables, because at least you're talking to people and the income cap is much higher.

On the other hand, for some people, an extra few hundred $ a month could be life changing.

I'm glad you're starting but please don't think this is 'success'. Far from it. You're on your way, surely, but this is nowhere near the finish line.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
Only possible problem I see with that is quality control. Not sure how high quality those mturk transcriptions are. I suppose give it a shot, and if quality is a problem just add a layer of supervision with a VA?
Hire another Mturk to be your QA...? :p

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
This thread's a waste of time for an entrepreneurial forum.

@HUSTLIN HEATHEN and the countless others - you need to switch your mindset from being a low-paid freelancer to a high-paid business owner.

Unless you're living in a country where $3,000 a year is the norm, then it's not worth the effort to acquire the knowledge to operate as a mechanical turk.

samuraijack

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Jul 27, 2014
New York, New York
I never said Turking was my only income.

Neither did I. But no one here who makes $1000 a day would spend hours on Turk making pennies. In fact, no one making $150 a day would or should then go and spend hours to make $70 on Turk. Its just not a good use of your time.

ALL substantial, self-employed gains come from chipping away at "repetitive manual tasks".

Repeatedly writing copy & selling are very different then filling out random surveys.

And I just want to say, I don't have a problem with Turk itself. But I would not recommend it as a "great place" to start for their fast lane journey, especially when there are much better options.

But if you were a real entrepreneur, I wouldn't have to remind you...

How exactly are you "making the most of your situation"?

Don't take it personally. If I was in your position, I would dig deep and ask myself, what is the best use of my time now? Turking is probably not the answer.

Xeon

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
For Turking, to my knowledge yes...but they allow Requester registration from 42 other countries.

What a shame! I hope they would open it up to more countries soon.
I wonder if there's some kind of workaround or hack for non-US citizens to turk.

I can see how useful this turking thing is, as a supplement to one's low-paying day job.
If one just needs to make ~$150 - $300 / month to pay the bills or earn some quick cash to run FB ads or buy inventory for the main fastlane business (ie: channel all $$$ earn from turking to your real actual FL hustle).

Also, one can turk during your day job office hours as long as the boss is not staring at your screen.
For some of us, we are actually quite free during office hours, so you could say, spend 3 hrs during your day job each day, turking hard (obviously, you can't wait tables or mow lawns during office hrs, so....).
You get paid extra on top of your day job salary, and again....channel all that into your FL biz.

But have to say.....OP's replies sound very arrogant and douchey, but in a funny way lol :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
qi8z1.jpg

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Yeah I'm hating hard

Super jealous of the guy that volunteers to listen to indie-alternative and answer a survey about it for $0.35

This is insanely slow lane unless you outsource it somehow, even then I don't see how you can make a legitimate business model off this

Maybe I'm missing something

At least you're messing around with other sh*t on the side

But you can put in 1/8 the effort you put into this Turk bullshit and land a client or two with a proper skill and some good marketing

p.s.

Where's this starbucks that lets you drink beer

In Canada (Vancouver) We got a starbucks in the downtownish area that sells booze, gonna check it out this summer.

Xavier X

Gold Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Jan 1, 2016
These United States
Mturk certainly isn't something to do solely on a long term basis. That would be about 10x worse than being stuck at a dead end low paying job.
HOWEVER, a lot of you are totally missing the point. I guess the Op's overall delivery has something to do with the resistance, but still.

Mturk by default is not a business. It is not a job. It's a way to make some money on the side, which can supplement something else, or be channeled directly into a business.
Some of the people proclaiming "eff that, I could very easily do X, Y & Z and make $ABCD in less time" etc aren't actually doing any X, Y or Zs. It's much easier to proclaim those things on paper, and take no action.

Think about it this way:
You start a business (or write a book - whatever) with potential, but need to get it in front of people. If you're someone with very limited or no income, something like this could make a real difference.
$20 daily in Facebook ads could propel many businesses. It's not hard to make $20 on Mturk in an hour or two, so if you channel that little money to put your product in front of thousands of people daily - think about it.

It's just another tool in the bootstrap arsenal (provided you don't get stuck treating it as an occupation).

Xeon

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Just signed up for MTurk. I really, really hope Amazon can approve my application though I'm not from the US. Bezos, I promise to turk hard!

HUSTLIN HEATHEN

Contributor
Dec 5, 2018
Harlingen, TX
This thread's a waste of time for an entrepreneurial forum.

@HUSTLIN HEATHEN and the countless others - you need to switch your mindset from being a low-paid freelancer to a high-paid business owner.

Unless you're living in a country where $3,000 a year is the norm, then it's not worth the effort to acquire the knowledge to operate as a mechanical turk.

Your pretentious comment is a waste of time for this thread.

Bring something to the table other than your trust fund baby bitching.

@AgainstAllOdds or maybe enlighten us with your vast knowledge..how did you make your miraculous leap from underpaid opportunist, to wealthy business tycoon?

I must be missing something.

SquatchMan

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
383%
Dec 27, 2016
Nowhere
The points have already been made. So nothing to add there.

View attachment 22971

If you can easily make $1000/day (profit or revenue?)dropshipping why are you noodling around on MTurk for $200/day.

Doesn't make much sense to me.

Envision

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
783%
May 5, 2014
Yes. On days I get high paying clients.

A 9-5 wage slave can "create something of value". But never on his/her own terms.

Excellence is forged at the red line.

The wolf at the top of the hill is never as hungry as the wolf climbing it.

Maybe you should spend your time re-reading Chapter 28.

Was your 5k made from purely self-employed profit?

Yeah... it was. If you think 5k/day is the top of the hill you need to relook at what you’re doing. I wasn’t saying that to brag I was saying it as an example of what anyone else can do when they create a plan and execute on the plan. I’m not special, I’ll just put in the work just like you and everyone can.

HUSTLIN HEATHEN

Contributor
Dec 5, 2018
Harlingen, TX
Mturk certainly isn't something to do solely on a long term basis. That would be about 10x worse than being stuck at a dead end low paying job.
HOWEVER, a lot of you are totally missing the point. I guess the Op's overall delivery has something to do with the resistance, but still.

Mturk by default is not a business. It is not a job. It's a way to make some money on the side, which can supplement something else, or be channeled directly into a business.
Some of the people proclaiming "eff that, I could very easily do X, Y & Z and make $ABCD in less time" etc aren't actually doing any X, Y or Zs. It's much easier to proclaim those things on paper, and take no action.

Think about it this way:
You start a business (or write a book - whatever) with potential, but need to get it in front of people. If you're someone with very limited or no income, something like this could make a real difference.
$20 daily in Facebook ads could propel many businesses. It's not hard to make $20 on Mturk in an hour or two, so if you channel that little money to put your product in front of thousands of people daily - think about it.

It's just another tool in the bootstrap arsenal (provided you don't get stuck treating it as an occupation).

Thank you.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.