The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

From Miracle Morning, to TMF, looking to get Unscripted

Null

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jan 16, 2019
Hello MJ and fellow tribe members,

I'm a software developer in my mid-thirties.
My focus has always been on learning, improving my craft, and providing value at work and to those around me.

My one peeve for the longest time was that I couldn't find a consistent routine to getting my learnings in, so they'd come in batches.

That all changed in November 2018, when I came across the Miracle Morning book. That gave me the time and space to clear my mind, work on personal development, and believe that I could achieve whatever success I wanted, if I commit myself to it, and work at it every single day.

It challenged me in several areas, including relationships, my craft, and my financial situation.

On the topic of finance, I've been a Slowlaner. Compound interest, 5-10% of my income into mutual funds, dollar-cost averaging, etc.

Then, I had a mini-FTE when it came to finance. My wife and I started a house search right around this period, and there was just nothing that was affordable to us that we would want to live in. Everything was "What?? I have to fork over a large majority of my income to live in this POS???".
Something wasn't right.

Also, all the financial books I read after starting Miracle Morning - 3 books in the Rich Dad series, The secrets of the millionaire mind - did a good job of reinforcing good mindsets about money, and selling the allure of financial freedom, but did not quite show me a path.

That all changed when I read TMF . It showed me an alternate path. The Fastlane. Compound interest is for maintaining your wealth, once you have it. Why wait 40 years for it when you can get there in 5-10 years? Solve problems. Deliver value, at scale. Be tuned to opportunities that are all around you.

My mindset changed completely. I realized that a great path to financial freedom (one that really resonates with me) is to create value. There are many ways to make money, and doing it by providing real value to a lot of people really resonated with me.

I am currently working through Unscripted , which shows what it takes to live the entrepreneur life. I am a process-driven person, so I see myself being able to commit to this journey.

Where I am now:
- I am practicing delivering value frequently, by going a bit of extra miles when I see ways to make my co-workers life easier.
- I am re-aligning any work I commit to towards something that helps me be a better builder. Build things that solve problems.
- I sold my wife on the vision of a life where we can actually afford the dream house. She's onboard with the vision, and is willing to defer a house purchase, so that we don't become reliant on my current income to be able to pay a massive mortgage, forcing me to be employed.
- After Unscripted , I will focus my efforts on finding an idea that I want to work away at. Practice evaluating CENTS, testing ideas, and working towards the first paying customer.

I am looking forward to contributing to this forum by sharing stories about my journey.

Thanks MJ for sharing your knowledge and experience in 2 life-altering books.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

wordwarrior

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Feb 16, 2019
Montreal, Canada
Welcome aboard! I'm also a software developer, though I've been around for about another decade.

Never heard about Miracle Morning until now. I've got a lot of books I want to read in my queue, having just bought Unscripted today after finishing the sample. What do you think readers could get out of Miracle Morning?

rwhyan

The higher, the fewer
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Aug 27, 2017
CA
Welcome @Null!

Seems like you'll fit in well here. You're spot on about delivering real value.

Also being a software developer will definitely open many Fastlane opportunities for you.

Welcome aboard! I'm also a software developer, though I've been around for about another decade.

Never heard about Miracle Morning until now. I've got a lot of books I want to read in my queue, having just bought Unscripted today after finishing the sample. What do you think readers could get out of Miracle Morning?
I know Miracle Morning is recommended by MJ in UNSCRIPTED (if I remember correctly) and by many forum members. I trust their recommendations so the book is on my reading list too.

I haven't read it but it's about creating a powerful morning routine.

Don't get stuck in a reading cycle though ;)

Null

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jan 16, 2019

Hey @wordwarrior, great to see another software developer on these boards. :)

What I got out of Miracle Morning:
- Being convinced to wake up early in the morning not because I "have to", and utilize that time for personal growth. It's a special time, because I don't get interrupted by anything during those hours. After reading Unscripted , I'm sure I'll be using some of that time on finding/validating/executing on ideas.
- I used to sleep at 2-3am, and wake up at 9am for work. Now I wake up at 6:30am to invest in developing myself.
- The powerful morning routine that @rwhyan referred to includes journaling, which allowed me to review my days and weeks, reflect, and learn from them.

That being said, it really was a book that came along at the right time for me. :) I was looking to introduce more discipline into my life.
What was nice though was that it was a quick read. I got through it in 3 hours I think.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Null

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jan 16, 2019
Welcome @Null!

Seems like you'll fit in well here. You're spot on about delivering real value.

Also being a software developer will definitely open many Fastlane opportunities for you.

I know Miracle Morning is recommended by MJ in UNSCRIPTED (if I remember correctly) and by many forum members. I trust their recommendations so the book is on my reading list too.

I haven't read it but it's about creating a powerful morning routine.

Don't get stuck in a reading cycle though ;)

Thanks for the welcome, @rwhyan!

I know you were talking to @wordwarrior, but personally, I've been in a reading cycle for the last 4 months! I plan to shift to problem solving now, rather than just focusing on learning. :) I love MJ's approach of learning through solving the problem at hand.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Welcome @Null Good to have you here.

The idea of the Miracle Morning is not just about getting up early but about creating a disciplined routine. Starting your day right will have knock on effects throughout that day. Leveraging that momentum.

It allows you to focus on the important stuff, the stuff that moves you and your business forward. It is about increasing efficiency in every area of your life.

Basically it is about building a routine of good, productive habits starting from the moment you wake up.

About getting up early, the easiest method is Mel Robbins 5 Second Rule. Don't read the book, just Google the technique. In short the technique is: once your alarm goes off count down from 5 to 1 in your head and by 1 you want both your feet on the ground and ideally be standing up. Her premise, you have 5 seconds to react before your brain convinces you it's not a good idea. It works, she has built a very successful business around using this 5 second rule throughout the day.

Point to note, if you hit the snooze button you go into a new sleep cycle, the snooze time is way short of a sleep cycle which is why you feel so lethargic and fuzzy headed if you rely on hitting that reset button every morning.

We are all pretty big on self improvement here but not at the determent of taking action. Sometimes it is better to learn as we go rather than to stifle our business by spending too much time with our nose in yet another business related book.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...