The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

From difficult 15 minutes run to 4 hours run in 2 years.

MILIANARD134

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Mar 22, 2018
France
This thread is for those who can't see the end of the tunnel.
Maybe you are struggling with your health,fitness, you are feeling like a shit, and when someone talks about « hope », you say.

This lie isn’t for me.

I feel you. I was in the same case 4 years ago.
When I quit the school at the age of 16, I was completely despaired, no escape, no plan for the future. At this time, I was out almost all the day, staying in the street for… nothing, I mean literally nothing.
Maybe it’s not your case, maybe you were and still addicted to video games, guess what ?
Me too. I was so addicted to video games, like really addicted.
Then one day; I take the best choice of my life.. No joking, it’s really the best choice of my life, without that, I think i will be in jail or dead.

I registered again to my old school. Had my degree.

But the goal of this thread is to remember, start a sparkle in your stomach if you are feeling desperate.
I was a literally the kid that you choose last in football team, in basketball teams, and even in darts team (no joking).

Here is a picture of me 5 years ago. Yeah. Weird guy.. 26259

At this time I remember, I was in vacation with my family. And we went run on the beach. My cousin told me, « we will run 40 minutes ».After 15minutes, I couldn’t follow her, and guess what? I gived up.

3 years ago, I started running, jogging, call it as you wish.
In november 2018 I did my first marathon In nice, french riviera.
In april 2019, i did my third marathon. three marathon, 12 10km, and 4 semi.
All that shit, in 3 years.
I know some people of my age who were much fit than me, guess what, they didn’t did one marathon.
Here is a picture of me at my first marathon.
orig-NCMH5761.jpeg
Now here is a picture of me (img) in april 19 at Schneder paris marathon.
orig-PMEE7640.jpeg
I did all of this shit in 3 years, remember, I was feeling like a loser, and it took me only 3 years, to do this.
Here is what I did, and here is the secret formula to run a marathon when you can barely run 15 minutes straight 4 years ago….

1. Run
2. Train
3. Run
4. Train
5. Run
6. DO THE SHIT

Don’t underestimate what you can do in the long shot.
Maybe in 1 year, you can’t accomplish great things, but in 3, 5, 10 years.
Guess what you can build ?

I know this forum is about entrepreneurship, and some people not gonna read this because it’s not a rag to rich story. And honestly, I feel far from rag to riches story. Because I think it’s a lot more difficult than what I did. But I create this thread because I know on this forum, there are a lot of people; with no self belief, no hope. And sometimes even if you read a tons of book about how to feel good, how to feel confident. You have to jump in the pool, to earn it, you have to earn small victories. Maybe for you it’s not marathon , maybe for you it’s skydiving, boxing, have one sales. I don’t know. But be sure, what’s separate you from victory on yourself isn’t the next book, the next seminar, the next « I am good i am strong » in your fuking crappy mirror with a lot of fingerprints. It’s only the choice you take to do. To be a winner or a loser.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Attachments

• orig-PMEE7640.jpeg
    orig-PMEE7640.jpeg
    175.1 KB · Views: 22

Olimac21

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 3, 2015
Belo Horizonte, Brasil
I love these kind of stories because it shows that if you put the work you can improve in any area of your life. It is very easy to blame genetics, lack of talent or resources on why you cannot get things done, but resistance training shows you that with discipline, plan and consistency the sky is the limit.

I highly recommend listening to James Lawrence "The Iron Cowboy" for some inspiration regarding fitness. This guy completed 50 ironman in 50 consecutive days and during his first marathon he barely finished.

And btw I am running my first marathon in 2 weeks! Apart from the event, my biggest takeaway is the whole process (training,mental and nutrition) behind it and how a challenge like this can be the best life teacher.

MILIANARD134

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Mar 22, 2018
France
I love these kind of stories because it shows that if you put the work you can improve in any area of your life. It is very easy to blame genetics, lack of talent or resources on why you cannot get things done, but resistance training shows you that with discipline, plan and consistency the sky is the limit.

I highly recommend listening to James Lawrence "The Iron Cowboy" for some inspiration regarding fitness. This guy completed 50 ironman in 50 consecutive days and during his first marathon he barely finished.

And btw I am running my first marathon in 2 weeks! Apart from the event, my biggest takeaway is the whole process (training,mental and nutrition) behind it and how a challenge like this can be the best life teacher.

Actually, i listened this podcast one week ago i think, this guy is impressive. Honestly, mentally so strong. Good luck fo your first marathon, where is it located ?
If I have any tips to give you, always start slow, because all people are starting so fast with all the excitement, joy... If you can master your start, you can master your run. The 25 kilometers is the easy path, and then go mental pain. You gonna pass through a lot of mental questions "why i did this ?" "I could be better in my bed". The only thing you have to think about is: never stop. I mean, never stop for walking, except for eat or drink. Run like you have no choice. Life or death/litterally.
Always take small victories, 1 kilometers in 1 victory, then the other victory is an other kilometer. Count every kilometer when you are struggling. (And you will).

If you have family to encourage you, it's good, on my first marathon, no one was there for me, because all people believed i will not finish it. But if you have people who encourage you then it's a gift.

Tell me how did that happen for your marathon in two weeks. I will be so happy to hear your story.

Olimac21

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 3, 2015
Belo Horizonte, Brasil
Actually, i listened this podcast one week ago i think, this guy is impressive. Honestly, mentally so strong. Good luck fo your first marathon, where is it located ?
If I have any tips to give you, always start slow, because all people are starting so fast with all the excitement, joy... If you can master your start, you can master your run. The 25 kilometers is the easy path, and then go mental pain. You gonna pass through a lot of mental questions "why i did this ?" "I could be better in my bed". The only thing you have to think about is: never stop. I mean, never stop for walking, except for eat or drink. Run like you have no choice. Life or death/litterally.
Always take small victories, 1 kilometers in 1 victory, then the other victory is an other kilometer. Count every kilometer when you are struggling. (And you will).

If you have family to encourage you, it's good, on my first marathon, no one was there for me, because all people believed i will not finish it. But if you have people who encourage you then it's a gift.

Tell me how did that happen for your marathon in two weeks. I will be so happy to hear your story.

I am going to run it here in the city I currently live: Belo Horizonte,Brasil. I am in a good shape and always had the objective of running a marathon since in all the sports I have played in the past I have always been the fittest guy when it comes to speed and resistance, so the objective is finishing the race in less than 3:30h hr. I previously ran 2 half marathons and did a mountain bike/run nightmare race that got my sick for 3 days lol

However that being said it took me 6 years to make up my mind and prepare for it, thats one of my biggest learning points if you really want to do something do it asap without waiting for the perfect timing or conditions.

Thanks for the tips, is a good idea to think about every KM as a victory and as you nothing will make me stop, there is no F*cking way I am not finishing the race haha I will come back to this thread and write about my experience.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I'm a runner and have done around 10 marathons. Been running for many years but prefer a bit of speed over distance. Have done well over 150 races 5K to 1/2 marathon.

Congratulations! Keep it up.

Olimac21

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 3, 2015
Belo Horizonte, Brasil
God on Saturday I had a very tough training and I thought I couldnt get through it when I was 40% done, however I just continued pushing saying no to my excuses ( too warm, too tired from a bad night sleep, I can skip and run the marathon anyways,etc) and did it even better than I expected.

It is curious how when the first obstacle comes, our tendency is to look for excuses to justify our behavior and not do the work. Examples:

-I am going to take a sick leave at work, I deserve it for doing extra hours last week.
-Just one beer, I did not drink for the last 5 weeks.
-I do not need to train today, I already trained very hard yesterday and the previous days.

And that is how you start sabotaging your own standards and let mediocrity comes to your daily actions. In your case Milianard do you think your conversation with yourself started to change once you began running long distances? How do you deal with those moments of doubts and wanting to quit?

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja

MILIANARD134

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Mar 22, 2018
France
God on Saturday I had a very tough training and I thought I couldnt get through it when I was 40% done, however I just continued pushing saying no to my excuses ( too warm, too tired from a bad night sleep, I can skip and run the marathon anyways,etc) and did it even better than I expected.

It is curious how when the first obstacle comes, our tendency is to look for excuses to justify our behavior and not do the work. Examples:

-I am going to take a sick leave at work, I deserve it for doing extra hours last week.
-Just one beer, I did not drink for the last 5 weeks.
-I do not need to train today, I already trained very hard yesterday and the previous days.

And that is how you start sabotaging your own standards and let mediocrity comes to your daily actions. In your case Milianard do you think your conversation with yourself started to change once you began running long distances? How do you deal with those moments of doubts and wanting to quit?
Great question.
Yes absolutely, my conversation with myself changed a lot since my first marathon. To understand something that i didn't precised in the thread. When I was near the end (10km left), my feet was bleeding, in my head I was saying, dude, you can walk, even if you finish it in 6 hours you finish a marathon man. Then all the conversation with yourself why did you start this need to start at this moment. When you gonna quit, and feel good. Frankly, i didn't stop, i just continued running, acting like someone was watching me.
And in my daily actions, i mean, i'm not the same guy. I have a strong willpower, and my mental endurance is really high compared to what it was.

So yeah, I think this quitting phase is something you should face, marathon is a great way to provoke that, because men, for a beginner, count 4 hours to finish it.
Can you imagine running straight for 4 hours ?
Also I think a lot of people with low willpower, low discipline and always excuses, can't do this.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Sorry didn't understand your message. English isn't my native language so maybe my spelling wasn't right ?
You said it wasn't a rags-to-riches story. But what's the difference? It's all hard work paying off. No different from business.

MILIANARD134

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Mar 22, 2018
France
You said it wasn't a rags-to-riches story. But what's the difference? It's all hard work paying off. No different from business.
Thank you , but you know some people are there for the quick buck and want some interesting story of rags to rich ^^
actually it was the most valuable lecon of my journey : hard work, consistency and EVEN When you feel « i don’t want to do this Today. That’s How u grow

OlivierMo

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Feb 12, 2018
Idaho
This thread is for those who can't see the end of the tunnel.
Maybe you are struggling with your health,fitness, you are feeling like a shit, and when someone talks about « hope », you say.

This lie isn’t for me.

I feel you. I was in the same case 4 years ago.
When I quit the school at the age of 16, I was completely despaired, no escape, no plan for the future. At this time, I was out almost all the day, staying in the street for… nothing, I mean literally nothing.
Maybe it’s not your case, maybe you were and still addicted to video games, guess what ?
Me too. I was so addicted to video games, like really addicted.
Then one day; I take the best choice of my life.. No joking, it’s really the best choice of my life, without that, I think i will be in jail or dead.

I registered again to my old school. Had my degree.

But the goal of this thread is to remember, start a sparkle in your stomach if you are feeling desperate.
I was a literally the kid that you choose last in football team, in basketball teams, and even in darts team (no joking).

Here is a picture of me 5 years ago. Yeah. Weird guy.. View attachment 26259

At this time I remember, I was in vacation with my family. And we went run on the beach. My cousin told me, « we will run 40 minutes ».After 15minutes, I couldn’t follow her, and guess what? I gived up.

3 years ago, I started running, jogging, call it as you wish.
In november 2018 I did my first marathon In nice, french riviera.
In april 2019, i did my third marathon. three marathon, 12 10km, and 4 semi.
All that shit, in 3 years.
I know some people of my age who were much fit than me, guess what, they didn’t did one marathon.
Here is a picture of me at my first marathon.
View attachment 26262
Now here is a picture of me (img) in april 19 at Schneder paris marathon.
View attachment 26260
I did all of this shit in 3 years, remember, I was feeling like a loser, and it took me only 3 years, to do this.
Here is what I did, and here is the secret formula to run a marathon when you can barely run 15 minutes straight 4 years ago….

1. Run
2. Train
3. Run
4. Train
5. Run
6. DO THE SHIT

Don’t underestimate what you can do in the long shot.
Maybe in 1 year, you can’t accomplish great things, but in 3, 5, 10 years.
Guess what you can build ?

I know this forum is about entrepreneurship, and some people not gonna read this because it’s not a rag to rich story. And honestly, I feel far from rag to riches story. Because I think it’s a lot more difficult than what I did. But I create this thread because I know on this forum, there are a lot of people; with no self belief, no hope. And sometimes even if you read a tons of book about how to feel good, how to feel confident. You have to jump in the pool, to earn it, you have to earn small victories. Maybe for you it’s not marathon , maybe for you it’s skydiving, boxing, have one sales. I don’t know. But be sure, what’s separate you from victory on yourself isn’t the next book, the next seminar, the next « I am good i am strong » in your fuking crappy mirror with a lot of fingerprints. It’s only the choice you take to do. To be a winner or a loser.
Congratulations. Running regularly changes your mindset. Long runs especially. It makes you tougher, makes you work longer, and if you train often it really helps with discipline and impulse control. That's what he's done for me. Keep it up!

AlexDep89

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
209%
Feb 6, 2018
Belgium
Nice post and keep up the good working.

I'm going through something similar. Mid 2018 I was weighing 120kg, no exercise, 15-20 cigarettes a day. Started a program to build up from 0 to 5k in 10 weeks. I completed it, and between then and early 2019 I fell of the bandwagon a few times, but kept running regular.

Around April 2019 I started a program to build up from 5 to 10k in 10 weeks. But early may, thanks to being inspired by the book "you can't hurt me" by David Goggins, I decided one day to just push it a bit. Ran 8k, felled ok, decided 2 days later to see if I can do more, did 11k, was ok. I decided then to register for a 10 miles race two weeks later. Finished it with an average pace higher then any of my practice runs. Besides from bloody nipples (to lose shirt, combined with sweating like a pig caused serious burn ) I was fine.

i kept running, not to much distance but now I finally quit smoking (4 weeks now), and i'm traning for the half marathon in 7 weeks. Very doable in my opinion. But I'm already dreaming of joining you in the ranks of marathon runner :)

PS:
Will Smith said once in a award ceremony of Nickelodeon that his advice to kids is running and reading. Running because it helps you silence the voice in your head that says stop, give up, you can't do this. A strength you can also use in business.
David Goggins tells a similar tale. He talks about the governor in your head that gives up way before it is necessary. The governor in your head starts bugging you at only 40% of what you are capable of (arbitrary number of course), and by running you push it to 45,50,60,70,80,90+
So essentially by running, you learn to take control of the resistance in your head to doing hard stuff.

Olimac21

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 3, 2015
Belo Horizonte, Brasil
So I finally ran my first marathon and I am happy with my time, I did 3:33:22 ( almost 12 km per hour) some conclusions I had after my first 42 km race:

-My mind was surprisingly sharp during the entire career, I mean it was unbelievable. Normally I suffer with boredom during long and not too long runs when training but it seemed I was a zen monk running which of course helped me a lot.

-I have much more potential to run faster and at the final stage of the race I was thinking on all the things I did wrong the previous months (nutrition, not training leg muscles at the gym enough, pushing myself harder). I see this as a good thing because even though I was feeling good, I still acknowledged I could do much better in the future.

-Some people start to fast and then they stop middle way. My strategy was different, start slow then in the middle increase speed to after the wall you reduce a bit too. In life a lot of people start fast but they lack consistency or strategy to get from A to B, they join the new gym and kill themselves in the gym to never return again, here is kind of the same principle: know your body, push yourself to boundaries you know you can take and do a bit better everyday.

-Before the race, I got woken up by people who were partying at 2:15 am which reduced my sleep to 5:30 hr ( below 6 hours I do not feel well btw lol) and on the way to the race 3 Ubers cancelled, apart from the race organization telling it is dangerous to leave cell phones and wallets in your bags for the wardrobe system and they do not take responsability in case of robbery. The lesson here conditions will never be perfect or as you expected to be, there is no perfect time to start a business, a family or learn a new hobby but you have to make it happen even if all the odds are against you. In sports champions do not stop winning because they had relationship issues, a bit of soreness or some unexpected obstacles, they will frame those things and still win the game. The situation with the Uber and waking up at 2:15 am made me furious and I used that energy to perform better.

-Last but not least important my first question after the race was: What is the next challenge? Perhaps an Iron Man,Ultra Marathon or 75 hard days challenge. I want to keep raising the bar and see what I am capable of. For me I got much more pleasure with these kind of things than sitting in a sofa watching netflix or binge drinking. I think Jesse Itzler said you should at least have one big challenge every year, whether it is a mental challenge, physical or professional and I completely agree with his statement. If we do not do that we end up with a lot of wasted dreams and time.

Thanks for this thread @MILIANARD134 and I hope that what I am writing makes sense for you and others.

Cheers!

MILIANARD134

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Mar 22, 2018
France
Wow, awesome! @Olimac21. I need to beat your time on my next marathon ! (in 3 months).
I totally agree with you for the challenge, I mean, I went with my friends for 3 days , and all we did was : bar drinking, eating,sofa, I tried to pitch other activities but they were'nt interested. It's great to have people like you who are excited to jump on the next challenge and I know what you feel!

Maybe ultramarathon is a bit hard but who knows, you can try ! (was in my head too but geezzz....)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.