The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

From Blue Collar To Cubicell To Freelancer To...

CoreyinMN

Little Hinges Swing Big Doors
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Jun 25, 2018
Minnesota
What kind of shops did you do the CAD work for?

Only a small handful as a draftsman. The lighting company where I was in product development and standard product management. Worked with many different materials and processes. I did a few small small one off projects for a milking machine part in the dairy industry, a compact tractor implement manufacturer and a specialty machine shop. But that was when I knew it was time to move on to my true love... MARKETING! :)

I'm wondering if you might be able to have a niche of helping these kinds of businesses to get great new clients and promote their specialty products. It seems you have some experience there that would put you ahead of the generic SEO/PPC consultant when it comes to working with some of these businesses.

I've actually thought about this but never really fleshed it all out. I have a few AdWords clients at the moment where it basically got me the job in each case.

Corey, I think you could do really well with Andy's style of phone conversations as a very soft sell, to people who already know and like him from his forum participation. For you, the marketing funnel might be something else. But I think the respectful business calls are a great way to go.

I am always trying different things. UpWork has been the main source lately because I have a system but I am branching out (and need to).

I wasted most of last year with a client who imposed his own demands on what I do, while also being a broke cheapskate about it! I made the mistake of thinking some money was better than none. But I was wrong. I had to cut ties and do a dumb day job through the winter and spring. This year, I learned my lesson. Just landed a big project now where the project launch took a lot longer, because it was truly respectful back and forth meeting of the minds. I'm looking now at how I make the process more systematic, to start working with other worthwhile clients. I'm still learning about this, would be happy to share what I've found so far with you.

Feel free.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

CoreyinMN

Little Hinges Swing Big Doors
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Jun 25, 2018
Minnesota
Is this something you've already done? In general, how does it work? Do all new clients pay for "first date project" no matter what? I'm just trying to visualize what's involved.

Yes, I do Discovery contract when I can. In a nutshell you do an audit + provide some sort of result in 30 days for a smaller fee (14 days for some smaller projects and/or bill hourly for this period). This gives you a chance to get inside and really assess what needs to be done, long term, for you to get them results (I get answers to questions like is their tracking set up right? Will I need to hire someone to fix something? is a process in their sales department killing off good leads, etc, etc). Plus it provides a chance to work with each other without a long-term commitment (if we hate working together for some reason no worries, it will be over soon).

Then after 30 days, you give them a report with an outline of what needs to done along with a new, more accurate project fee.

It works great because in the past there were times when I would throw out a number only to find a ton of stuff wrong or that woul prevent me from being able to provide the quality work I promised without costing me a lot more time and money.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
Yes, I do Discovery contract when I can. In a nutshell you do an audit + provide some sort of result in 30 days for a smaller fee (14 days for some smaller projects and/or bill hourly for this period).

That looks like a great way to go. Thanks!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...