The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Stuck in my blue collar business.

Anything related to matters of the mind

Dmac253

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Oct 3, 2020
Seattle
How's it going folks? Happy new year and happy to be here! After being a lurker for so long, I'm happy to login and say what's up! I've read both books and learned a lot and enjoyed both. I have been in the trades one way or the other for pretty much my whole life. I quit my commercial construction job a year ago....again( i failed this business before)...and currently I have a junk removal & landscaping business. Now I know this isn't Fastlane by any means, but it pays way more than a traditional job in terms of time & money.... Kind of.
Even though I'm self employed it feels like I never have money or time! (crazy, right?). Its not uncommon to profit 500-1000 in a day. Now within a year i have built up a whole arsenal or tools and 2 trucks. But everything is so expensive! Rent, storage, gas, materials, LABOR..taxes..insurance...licenses...it just never ends!!! If I'm not working I'm marketing or preparing for a jobsite.
The plan was never grow this into a huge company. I have met many contractors and their stress levels is always high and they never stop working. I hate having employees. I can't imagine having 20 of them. With the right systems, sure. But i don't want that. I have so many other ideas and things i want to learn but it never feels like enough time. I sometimes think about going back to a normal job, but then I remember how tough it was to make ends meet even at like $30 an hour. Plus at the normal job I definitely never had time or energy to work on my side business.
I am just wondering if any of you guys have any advice for a guy like me. I think I will have to tough it out and stop making excuses about not having time to learn another skill/ build a different more passive business. Maybe I answered my own question. If i tough it out, this year could be my best year yet. But boy am I tired. I kind of have neglected all other perspectives of my life. Weird thing is I'm not sad or depressed about it. I just know its not healthy. I don't really have too many hobbies besides walking my dog, working, and just eating great food. All of my friends are busy being married or just doing jack shit. Maybe i need to find a nice girl. I am just so obsessed with getting out of the financial struggle. It's not a good feeling but I'm so close to getting there( or maybe halfway, I think...) Maybe i need to cut out all the bull shit drinking, smoking, eating...Maybe i know what i have to do but i'm just being hard headed.

Like i said, this was supposed to be me asking for advice but i kind of ranted. If you have anything for me thank you! If this is not allowed please let me know or just erase it i guess. thank you.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mathuin

Provide Relative-Value or Die Trying
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Dec 20, 2020
Belfast, Northern Ireland
How is a landscaping company not Fastlane?

I suggest you read @Johnny boy's threads. Hes in your state too.

Dmac253

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Oct 3, 2020
Seattle
My lawn care company with 4 employees brings me like 13 grand profit a month and I work like a couple hours a week. I was managing it from Cabo, Mexico for a couple weeks this last October.
That's awesome man... I quit doing maintenance because i enjoy projects and hauling more. But i suppose that is the best and only way to automate the business and have consistent cash flow.

Dmac253

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Oct 3, 2020
Seattle
How is a landscaping company not Fastlane?

I suggest you read @Johnny boy's threads. Hes in your state too.

i will have to check it out. thanks.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
629%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
That's awesome man... I quit doing maintenance because i enjoy projects and hauling more. But i suppose that is the best and only way to automate the business and have consistent cash flow.
do both. have employees taking care of the lawns, it's on autopilot that way. Then do projects with other employees. If you have employee problems, pull from the project employees and have them cover for the maintenance work. That way you don't get screwed with not having guys working (happened to me plenty when I started, it sucked). And you don't have to employ too many people to have extras and be unprofitable. Win-win. People quit, get sick, no call no show, their dog's on it's period or some other excuse, etc. So it's good to have backup.

Scheduling is a nightmare BECAUSE of the ADHD-style "schedule a job here and there" business model. Put everyone on a recurring schedule and it becomes so much easier and repeatable.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

do both. have employees taking care of the lawns, it's on autopilot that way. Then do projects with other employees. If you have employee problems, pull from the project employees and have them cover for the maintenance work. That way you don't get screwed with not having guys working (happened to me plenty when I started, it sucked). And you don't have to employ too many people to have extras and be unprofitable. Win-win. People quit, get sick, no call no show, their dog's on it's period or some other excuse, etc. So it's good to have backup.

Scheduling is a nightmare BECAUSE of the ADHD-style "schedule a job here and there" business model. Put everyone on a recurring schedule and it becomes so much easier and repeatable.
and there it is, perfectly executed.

Two buckets: active and repeat. Johnny has it all figured out.

Kind of like flipping houses to acquire rentals: Do more active to grow your repeat (or passive)

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Process, process, process.

You spent money on a bunch of equipment, but how much have you "process-ized" your business. If you have a repeatable process, you can teach others your repeatable process, and then remove yourself from the equation.

Which is another reason why the maintenance is a good idea. It is predictable monthly revenue, and an easy process to set up and teach.

The one off disposal jobs, you have to constantly be marketing and selling for those.

Whereas if you market and sell maintenance, you're creating monthly repeatable checks for yourself.

As an added benefit, if you have your repeatable processes, marketing systems and predictable revenue, you then have an equity asset you can sell at some multiple (if you even want to get rid of it).

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
Its not uncommon to profit 500-1000 in a day.

I hate having employees. I can't imagine having 20 of them. With the right systems, sure.
Could you get more business if you had employees? Don't click away from this post yet. Businesses like yours are ideal for franchising. First see my thread:

Rapid Scaling a business by franchising

Franchising gets you "employees" who are willing to pay you to work for them, and because they have skin in the game they will do their best to make it all work.

They are not really employees, they are self employed business owners. You show them how to do it, and they pay first of all for the privilege of learning your system, and then they pay you a small share of the sales they make. (Royalties!!!)

Walter

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
How's it going folks? Happy new year and happy to be here! After being a lurker for so long, I'm happy to login and say what's up! I've read both books and learned a lot and enjoyed both. I have been in the trades one way or the other for pretty much my whole life. I quit my commercial construction job a year ago....again( i failed this business before)...and currently I have a junk removal & landscaping business. Now I know this isn't Fastlane by any means, but it pays way more than a traditional job in terms of time & money.... Kind of.
Even though I'm self employed it feels like I never have money or time! (crazy, right?). Its not uncommon to profit 500-1000 in a day. Now within a year i have built up a whole arsenal or tools and 2 trucks. But everything is so expensive! Rent, storage, gas, materials, LABOR..taxes..insurance...licenses...it just never ends!!! If I'm not working I'm marketing or preparing for a jobsite.
The plan was never grow this into a huge company. I have met many contractors and their stress levels is always high and they never stop working. I hate having employees. I can't imagine having 20 of them. With the right systems, sure. But i don't want that. I have so many other ideas and things i want to learn but it never feels like enough time. I sometimes think about going back to a normal job, but then I remember how tough it was to make ends meet even at like $30 an hour. Plus at the normal job I definitely never had time or energy to work on my side business.
I am just wondering if any of you guys have any advice for a guy like me. I think I will have to tough it out and stop making excuses about not having time to learn another skill/ build a different more passive business. Maybe I answered my own question. If i tough it out, this year could be my best year yet. But boy am I tired. I kind of have neglected all other perspectives of my life. Weird thing is I'm not sad or depressed about it. I just know its not healthy. I don't really have too many hobbies besides walking my dog, working, and just eating great food. All of my friends are busy being married or just doing jack shit. Maybe i need to find a nice girl. I am just so obsessed with getting out of the financial struggle. It's not a good feeling but I'm so close to getting there( or maybe halfway, I think...) Maybe i need to cut out all the bull shit drinking, smoking, eating...Maybe i know what i have to do but i'm just being hard headed.

Like i said, this was supposed to be me asking for advice but i kind of ranted. If you have anything for me thank you! If this is not allowed please let me know or just erase it i guess. thank you.
This is normal for a start-up. It takes a great deal of poop coupled with buckets of money to get it off of the ground. This too shall pass -- IF you choose to tough it out. Most people quit right where you are because of the issues in your rant. The next phase is a lot easier. You'll have the assets and the experience to smooth your path.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
This is normal for a start-up. It takes a great deal of poop coupled with buckets of money to get it off of the ground. This too shall pass -- IF you choose to tough it out. Most people quit right where you are because of the issues in your rant. The next phase is a lot easier. You'll have the assets and the experience to smooth your path.
Here is one of my favorite quotes:

The first Australian to win an Oympic Gold Medal for the marathon, when asked how he managed to do it said: "You have to be willing to cross the pain threshold."

And a slightly less famous person (Walter Hay) said: "Never Give Up."

Walter

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.