The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Blue collar coach

Marketing, social media, advertising

Welder1986

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Oct 7, 2016
Hello all,

It has been a quick minute since I've been active here, but I have continued to lurk through the years..

Background - EXECUTION - Welding/Motorcycle Shop

Over time I was able to build and grow a steel fabrication business from my garage to eventually a commercial facility, employees and large paying customers etc. It took a lot of years of trial and error to say the least.

During that time, I had helped a few other guys that were starting/growing their shops as well by giving them strategies that worked for me (free of course) that ended up providing them with either the knowledge or results they needed to advance forward in their shop.

After being in the welding industry more than 20 years now I had pondered on offering some online courses/coaching to the guys that needed specific help.

On a side note, I am a trade guy, not a computer guy so after looking into the coaching world and researching here on the forum as well, I see there are a lot of negativities placed on coaching and I completely understand why. "Coaches" coaching that are not experienced enough to coach! Totally understandable. After seeing all of this I definitely didn't want to come off as "guru" by any means.

I wanted to look at this from a realistic standpoint to see if there was even a need. After looking for guidance to help myself over the years (which I could never find specifically for a fab shop) with no luck, I figured it may be worth a shot.

So, to the point. I had hired a freelancer to build a sales funnel. He had purposed giving a free training to collect an email address then to book a call to work together if they wanted. In the first 5-6 days there were about 500 opt-ins. To me this is wild and looks like a starving crowd. I don't know if this is really good, mediocre, or could be better. From the opt-ins there were about 25 booked calls. On the calls we would discuss their problems (98% of the exact problems I had) then, if we were a good fit, I would offer them the opportunity to work together. I was not pushing for a sale. In my mind, if they didn't want to work with me then that is absolutely ok and I answered all of their questions on the call regardless, so they benefited to a lesser extent either way. I understand sales tactics to a degree and it always felt a bit slimy to me in all honesty. There were a few in particular that I would love to help further as I feel like I'm talking to a younger me but when it came down to it, they had to think about it. Again, totally understandable. I understand the offer is high ticket and I purposed different pricing to see if there would be different results. No difference in outcome.

So, all in all my questions would be about the model or steps..

Are there strategies that I could be doing to seal the deal with the ideal prospects? Am I not building enough rapport beforehand? More testimonials/proof?
Should I offer a cheap in price, high in value course to get them to cross over to customer, then if they wanted after to work with me 1 on 1 go from there?

I know this isn't scalable, but I feel there is a real need here and I really enjoy helping others and if I can make some profits along with them making a ton more from what I can offer them, it's a win win in my opinion.

Or.... should I just shut up and go weld stuff!

As always, thanks in advance.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Bounce Back

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Dec 30, 2023
Florida
I think its fine to coach people on something you've actually conquered personally. Doubly so if the market has no material like that.

I think you could write a book too for some authority. For instance I ran a commercial cleaning company for a bit before I sold it and tried to read any book I could get my hands on building that sort of business even if it sounded somewhat gimmicky - one piece of helpful info was worth it to me.

In terms of closing people on the more expensive sale on the call. I actually am not sure I would do this sort of model in your shoes if I am understanding right. I wouldn't have the intro call be free. I'd do maybe something like $99 for an hour long Q&A/consultation in which you also remind about some paid course you have (that maybe comes with X amount of extra consultations or group call Q&A etc.). Then let the site/content be the sales tool not the calls.
Perhaps if really stuck on doing free calls they can agree to be recorded (maybe change their voice somehow) and you can use that youtube content to lead to your site / establish your voice.

Free call + trying to lock in high dollar next step to me personally would bring my defenses up whereas if I paid for it because I wanted your wisdom, got value on the call, and then was simply reminded about the course I might bite (or maybe at the end you say something like "Hey by the way I like to do a little gift for people who hopped on these sort of calls, here is a coupon code for 25% off the course" or something could work).

Last edited:

Welder1986

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Oct 7, 2016
I think its fine to coach people on something you've actually conquered personally. Doubly so if the market has no material like that.

I think you could write a book too for some authority. For instance I ran a commercial cleaning company for a bit before I sold it and tried to read any book I could get my hands on building that sort of business even if it sounded somewhat gimmicky - one piece of helpful info was worth it to me.

In terms of closing people on the more expensive sale on the call. I actually am not sure I would do this sort of model in your shoes if I am understanding right. I wouldn't have the intro call be free. I'd do maybe something like $99 for an hour long Q&A/consultation in which you also remind about some paid course you have (that maybe comes with X amount of extra consultations or group call Q&A etc.). Then let the site/content be the sales tool not the calls.
Perhaps if really stuck on doing free calls they can agree to be recorded (maybe change their voice somehow) and you can use that youtube content to lead to your site / establish your voice.

Free call + trying to lock in high dollar next step to me personally would bring my defenses up whereas if I paid for it because I wanted your wisdom, got value on the call, and then was simply reminded about the course I might bite (or maybe at the end you say something like "Hey by the way I like to do a little gift for people who hopped on these sort of calls, here is a coupon code for 25% off the course" or something could work).
Thanks for the input!

I have definitely pondered on writing a book although I'm no author by any means, but the reason being is there are not very many books specifically concerning growing a Welding shop. There is one that I have read and it's a bit outdated.

I agree going on the defense about booking a call then having a high ticket pitch. Possibly a low fee paid call as you mentioned may be another route.

Once I re arrange the structure and give it another go, I will report back.

I can nurture the optin list with more actionable content in the mean time.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
That is an excellent amount of booked calls, My initial thought was these aren't the type of people that want DIY courses because they won't take the time to go through them.

As for conversion, there can be several factors. Before I speculate, I'd say the best route is to follow up with them and ask. Not everyone will give you a valid answer but you will get some usable feedback.

Now for the speculation.... High ticket and starting out in a blue collar field can be a mismatch. Either the prospects do not have the money you are looking for, or they can not connect the logic that shows them they can easily make the money back quickly. This is especially true for guys that are starting or have smaller shops because cashflow is everything.

The other thing I would wonder, is if they feel like they have the time, when their expertise lies in the work itself. You'll find that while it sounds ideal for someone, they feel in confident about their ability to deploy the right information and stay on top of things, sometimes even full blown fear of success sets in.

I would keep trying different offers and make sure you are getting as much feedback as you can get.

The only other major thing I would say, which i suggest to anyone starting something that involves personal knowledge....

Social proof is king. So find 2-3 really ideal clients, cut your rate in half for a limited period and require testimonials at the end of that period for the discount. If they are the right clients and both of you deliver, you'll be able to show future prospects that the process really can work for them.

Welder1986

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Oct 7, 2016
That is an excellent amount of booked calls, My initial thought was these aren't the type of people that want DIY courses because they won't take the time to go through them.

As for conversion, there can be several factors. Before I speculate, I'd say the best route is to follow up with them and ask. Not everyone will give you a valid answer but you will get some usable feedback.

Now for the speculation.... High ticket and starting out in a blue collar field can be a mismatch. Either the prospects do not have the money you are looking for, or they can not connect the logic that shows them they can easily make the money back quickly. This is especially true for guys that are starting or have smaller shops because cashflow is everything.

The other thing I would wonder, is if they feel like they have the time, when their expertise lies in the work itself. You'll find that while it sounds ideal for someone, they feel in confident about their ability to deploy the right information and stay on top of things, sometimes even full blown fear of success sets in.

I would keep trying different offers and make sure you are getting as much feedback as you can get.

The only other major thing I would say, which i suggest to anyone starting something that involves personal knowledge....

Social proof is king. So find 2-3 really ideal clients, cut your rate in half for a limited period and require testimonials at the end of that period for the discount. If they are the right clients and both of you deliver, you'll be able to show future prospects that the process really can work for them.
My funnel guy had the same thought as you as far as just going straight to 1 on 1 and not have a course.

I also agree with your thought on high ticket to blue collar start-ups. I had thoughts on targeting down even further on their current size say requiring a minimum of $100k in revenue in their business to work together. Then obviously they would have the funds (hopefully) and for me personally after that point in my own journey was where my shop really took off. Also meaning, they are already established to that point, and I can get them further faster moving forward.

I think I am over thinking the hell out of this and can't really pinpoint what my next steps should be. I understand one tweak can make all the difference. I believe it is coming down to the offer itself and getting clear what I can provide them with proof just like you mentioned.

Also have been thinking about an additional short video to disqualify further before booking a call in the funnel. A big factor is me not wanting to waste anyones time and only work with those I truly feel I can help. I guess it's just figuring out how to find them!

Thanks for your thoughts LightHouse.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
@Welder1986 let's talk this coming week. have customers and ideas for you.
dm me!

Two Dog

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Feb 15, 2022
Your change of perspective over time was great to read. Love this post.

I was not pushing for a sale.
I understand sales tactics to a degree and it always felt a bit slimy to me in all honesty.
I know this isn't scalable, but I feel there is a real need here and I really enjoy helping others
This conflict is the problem. Out of all the wonderful things you wrote, this really stands out to me. The best sales people see themselves as problems solvers for their customers. That's exactly what you've been doing for welding customers or wouldn't have stayed in business for long, but you clearly don't feel comfortable taking someone's money for coaching at this time.

Why is that?

Maybe you're thinking there's not enough value, worried about whether client's can afford it, feeling like you're faking the expertise, lack of confidence from not having done it, thoughts along those lines. If you figure that out, coming up with a better offer, package, service, whatever isn't difficult. Just follow the advice from the other people who replied.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
My funnel guy had the same thought as you as far as just going straight to 1 on 1 and not have a course.

I also agree with your thought on high ticket to blue collar start-ups. I had thoughts on targeting down even further on their current size say requiring a minimum of $100k in revenue in their business to work together. Then obviously they would have the funds (hopefully) and for me personally after that point in my own journey was where my shop really took off. Also meaning, they are already established to that point, and I can get them further faster moving forward.

I think I am over thinking the hell out of this and can't really pinpoint what my next steps should be. I understand one tweak can make all the difference. I believe it is coming down to the offer itself and getting clear what I can provide them with proof just like you mentioned.

Also have been thinking about an additional short video to disqualify further before booking a call in the funnel. A big factor is me not wanting to waste anyones time and only work with those I truly feel I can help. I guess it's just figuring out how to find them!

Thanks for your thoughts LightHouse.

I agree your offer needs to be clear, and it also needs to hit on their pain point that matches where they are.

As you mentioned, if they are doing 100k/yr and are ready to move up with employees and a system, that can be painful enough to need an outside resource, and the cost would be a factor as will everything else they need to pay for.

I'd imagine some of the current leads could be converted still, can you go back and layout a clear path to the success or solution they are looking for? Or go back and ask why not? (could be price, could be offer)

IceCreamKid

With Great Power Comes Great Electricity Bill
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,185%
Jun 8, 2010
California
Rule #1 the easiest way to get rich is to sell to rich people lol.

Here's our current process:
  1. Run advertorial style ads on FB
  2. Collect opt-in information
  3. Before prospects can book a meeting on the calendar, they're asked a few qualifying questions. If they do not qualify, they're thrown into a nurturing campaign.
If you have time but no money to burn on ads, use Outscraper to get cheap lists of your ideal prospects. It's something like $1 for a list of 1k leads. Cold email or call. If you're not a techy person I wouldn't recommend cold email to start though because there's a list of things that need to be done to set it up correctly.

Other strategies to try:
  • FB DM's
  • FB group posts(do this one gracefully or you'll get banned)
  • SMS outreach
  • Hiring cold callers from onlinejobs.ph for $5/hour. They speak good English. E-mail has gotten outrageously competitive over the past 4 years so we're actually seeing a resurgence of cold calling.

There were a few in particular that I would love to help further as I feel like I'm talking to a younger me but when it came down to it, they had to think about it.
"I need to think about it" is a fake objection so you need to dig further to find out what their real objection is. Maybe it's the price, maybe it's the offer, maybe they just don't believe you're real because you need more testimonials.

I hate slimy pushy sales tactics so in this situation I'd respond with, “Seems like I haven’t covered something as well as I needed to". Usually this gets them to open up with their real objection. You can press further if they still don't reveal the truth, but only if you're comfortable with it.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA

Welder1986

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Oct 7, 2016
Rule #1 the easiest way to get rich is to sell to rich people lol.

Here's our current process:

1. Run advertorial style ads on FB
  2. Collect opt-in information
  3. Before prospects can book a meeting on the calendar, they're asked a few qualifying questions. If they do not qualify, they're thrown into a nurturing campaign.
If you have time but no money to burn on ads, use Outscraper to get cheap lists of your ideal prospects. It's something like $1 for a list of 1k leads. Cold email or call. If you're not a techy person I wouldn't recommend cold email to start though because there's a list of things that need to be done to set it up correctly.

Other strategies to try:
  • FB DM's
  • FB group posts(do this one gracefully or you'll get banned)
  • SMS outreach
  • Hiring cold callers from onlinejobs.ph for $5/hour. They speak good English. E-mail has gotten outrageously competitive over the past 4 years so we're actually seeing a resurgence of cold calling.

"I need to think about it" is a fake objection so you need to dig further to find out what their real objection is. Maybe it's the price, maybe it's the offer, maybe they just don't believe you're real because you need more testimonials.

I hate slimy pushy sales tactics so in this situation I'd respond with, “Seems like I haven’t covered something as well as I needed to". Usually this gets them to open up with their real objection. You can press further if they still don't reveal the truth, but only if you're comfortable with it.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
@IceCreamKid Yes, this does help.

I currently have the same process as you. I offer a free training and have consistent opt-ins.

Do you have your call offer presented as a discovery type call or as a call strictly to see if you would be a good fit to work together?

My initial call offer was a diagnostic call and then pitched them to work together. I did have some interest but bombed on the objections.

I have since added more qualification questions and pushed it more towards working together (not just a free info call). And the booked calls are currently nonexistent.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.