The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

From $0 to $ 5k+ / month in 5 months

Tiago

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Mar 22, 2014
By the way, if you ever want to chat, my first business was running Twitter accounts and selling products through there. Grew from 0 to 700.000 followers in two years, sold the business afterward.

One of the people I was mentoring back then is consistently doing 8 figures annually now.

If you want to jam a few ideas just send me a DM.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Soder

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
511%
Jan 3, 2019
Hi friends.

How is everything? Speeding down the fast lane?

Long time without going in here, I am absolutely focused on growth.

For a few weeks I have been repeating the mantra to go to bed every day a little stronger, smarter and richer than I have ever woken up.

• Stronger: Rest, food and sport. I've never been so fit.
  • Smarter: Read, read, read and write, daily. I've been reading a lot for years. Without a doubt, reading and writing daily has been what has changed my life the most (along with eating well and lifting weights - daily).
  • Richer: That's what this forum is about, right? Let's go to what interests.

TWITTER / GUMROAD BUSINESS:

Keep growing.

Every week I receive messages from people interested in being my affiliates.

I already have about 60 affiliates to whom I give a higher than average commission, which makes it a win-win. Remember, being a digital product the cost of replication is ZERO.

I have improved and expanded the product, including more versions.

My advice and what I will continue to do: Build, build and build.

The cost is so low and the prize is so great that you have to play this game continuously. Test, test and test. Launch demos, prototypes, etc.

• How much does a social media account cost? ZERO
  • Which is the prize? FREEDOM

In parallel, two new opportunities have emerged:

INVESTMENT FUND:

As you may recall, I had to leave an investment fund because it was small and my salary was tiny. The detail is in the first posts of this thread.

I suffered like never before. But I left the job properly, politely. Despite many friends telling me to take them to trial, it never crossed my mind.

Life takes many turns and it is always better to make friends than enemies.

Well, the private banker who has the money has told me that he wants me to manage the fund alone. My investment theses have been the best in this time.

I will not make the mistake of 4 years ago. I will not leave my current business, I will not leave everything for the fund. I will bill them a commission every month. Having total freedom in time and place of my work.

We are currently processing the change of management company. I hope that in a few months we can start.

It is a very scalable business. We started with about 6M USD, my partner has quite a few contacts with money. We will charge an annual fee on the amount and a success fee on earnings. With 6M you make money, but the idea is to soon reach 20-40M where the gains are exponential.

FREELANCE:

As you know, I am a freelance consultant.

I like the work, and I have total freedom, I work where and when I want.
But it is true that I charge by hour. It is not scalable.

Together with the CIO of the company I have sought to update the basic software tool of the company, and create a product of it, to be able to sell it outside the company.

The CIO has approved it and so has the CFO. They have even commented to create a parallel company.
And I am the one who will lead this project.

Sometimes we look for opportunities far from us and from our area of knowledge. Opportunities are everywhere and if you are in a company, by size, capital, possibilities, ... it will be where there are more opportunities. Open your eyes.

This is again the leverage of the internet and computing:

You build once and you sell a million times.
There's scalability, big margins ... the internet and computing are the best fast lane to wealth.

--

A year ago my income was shit that I couldn't afford to live on and now I have 10 times more income. Total freedom and best of all, they are all scalable businesses, that if I do it well they can give 10 times or 100 times the benefits that they give me today.

I have never been so sure that I am going to be rich.

I'll finish with a quote that I love:

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all.

- Helen Keller

Raja

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Dec 31, 2019
@Soder can I dm you? I have some questions about Twitter.

Kolslaw

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Mar 13, 2021
thank you for sharing this. I was asking because I want to create some additional source of income similar to your. I have 4 years experience in excel and 1-year in Power BI. Unfortunately, I see tons of great courses available even for free. It could be hard to sell anything new in that niche.
Wojnar don't scrap your idea, just do it better. Provided there is a need.

Soder

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
511%
Jan 3, 2019
Hi friends.

Long time without updating my thread, what better time than at the beginning of the year.

Although 2020 was the first year that I made a dollar on the internet, in a scalable and quite passive obline business. 2021 has been the year the business took off, the one that allows me to live off it and the one that has made me think much bigger.

I have always forced myself to think big and every day I realize that I think very very small, society has done us a lot of harm with the Slowlane: Just a couple of years ago my goal was to have $ 400k in dividend stock companies that they will give me $ 1k a month to survive in my grandparents' town ... to this day I passively make several thousand. Not in my best dreams could I imagine this.

These are my gross sales, you have to discount about 30%-40% depends on the month, since I have many affiliate sales, to whom I give a very generous commission (50% +) since the cost for me is zero, since the product is digital.

SALES.PNG

The main lesson of 2021 is that I was thinking very small, and consequently I am working to think bigger. My advice? Take your goal and multiply it by 10, that will make you think differently, it will force you to have other habits and work harder in a more scalable way. Is your goal a million dollars? Forget it, set the goal of 10 million, you will see how your mind changes.

My long term goal is to be as rich, strong and smart / happy as I can be. With this in mind we will review 2021 and 2022.

2021 ACHIEVEMENTS:

Rich:

• $ 12k + / month between my freelance job and my online business
  • $ 6k + / month growing in my online business

Strong:
  • I have gone from 82kg to 87kg with 14% fat
  • Increased the weights of all basic exercises by 20% -30% of weight: chin-ups (+ 30kg of ballast), bench press (from 70kg to 90kg), deadlift (from 100kg to 140kg), squat (from 100kg to 135kg)
  • Nofap

Smart / happy:
  • Regular reading and writing
  • Always seeing the positive part of the facts, grateful

2021 LESSONS:
  1. You can get much more than you think. We think small by default.
  2. Growth is addictive not pleasant.
  3. The natural situation is to be happy, if we are not, it is because the mind is deceiving us. We have to work on the inside.
  4. I love to read, work and study

2022 GOALS:

Some are habits to be fulfilled every day (H) and others are goals, which must be fulfilled in time, I indicate those of the first quarter (Q1).

Rich:
  • $ 25k / month between all my businesses. Q1 = $ 15k / month
  • Launch my second product, already started. Q1
  • Launch my website with at least one post per month. Q1
  • Study new formats: videos, NFTs, etc. Q2
  • Make myself essential for my client in my freelance work. Q1
  • Invest. Q1
  • Search for new business opportunities / contacts. Q2

Strong:
  • 86Kg - 90Kg with less than 10% fat. Q1 = 86Kg
  • Increase the weights of the basics by 15%. Q1 = + 5%
  • Zero alcohol. H
  • 10k + steps per day. H
  • Continue with the nofap. H

Smart / Happy:
  • Digital detox: consume less than 1h / day on mobile. This is the most important habit. Achieving it would free up hours a day for other habits. I have read several books on digital detox and none have contributed anything to me, except Digital Minimalism by Cal Newport (the author of another recommended book called Deep Work). I highly recommend Digital Minimalism, what better habit than to free up several hours a day to dedicate to more productive tasks or to dedicate it to quality leisure? I just read it and I am already reducing my mobile consumption for several hours a day. H
  • 2h reading / day. H
  • Write every day. H
  • Meditate. H

If the main lesson of 2020 is that we are much closer than we think to building a business to live on, the main lesson of 2021 is that we think too small.

The millionaires and billionaires in the world are not rich by chance, they thought big. Nobody achieves a goal above their goals. Nobody reaches the moon if they aim for the clouds.

ROAD TO SUCCESS:
  1. Set yourself a goal
  2. Multiply it by 10
  3. Detail how is the person you should be to get it
  4. Set short-term and long-term goals
  5. Put habits in your day to day, schedule them
  6. Iterate, get feedback, adjust
  7. Live in the process

I have no doubt that I am going to be a millionaire, and neither should you.

All the best for 2022.

Last edited:

Kolslaw

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Mar 13, 2021
I appreciate step #3 "the person you should be" it emphasizes the Delta between where you are and where you need to be for the results. It's not the "Let go and let God..." or the Law of Attraction but the work it takes first to change yourself to change your results.

ateares

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Nov 10, 2016
thank you for sharing this. I was asking because I want to create some additional source of income similar to your. I have 4 years experience in excel and 1-year in Power BI. Unfortunately, I see tons of great courses available even for free. It could be hard to sell anything new in that niche.
I'd encourage you to try and figure it out anyways. There's always new folks in this space trying to learn and they can learn from you. You have unique perspective and work experience. We all start from nothing when we're building out a new venture.

I have a couple of buddies that are in this space and one built a brand new course from almost nothing over the past year. You can do it too.

All the best.

PS. LinkedIn is great for Excel / Power BI courses. Lots of professionals that need upgrade skills here.

stavedeve

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Aug 27, 2017
Minneapaolis
Hi, friends.

Long time without entering here, I have been advancing.

I summarize my story in case this can help someone.

1. The beginnings

I was working as a financial consultant. As a hobby, I had an investment blog, and a private banker called me to create our own investment fund.

The plan was very ambitious, so my desire and passion made me quit my job to start the project.

This was a basic mistake, you cannot, no matter how good it sounds and how much you like it, launch yourself into a business until you have a sufficient base, much less with a stranger.

2. The fall

The reality was much worse than the plan he had told me about. Much less capital to manage what meant an extremely low salary.

This made my situation dramatically worse. My income plummeted until I had financial problems since I had some debts. This led me to a situation wherein my life I thought that it would never come, not even that it could exist. How your life can change in months. My mood suffered for a few months last year.

3. The rebirth

As I read one day: "when you are in the bottom you have no other way than up."

I started looking for a better job. And I went through a process at a large consulting firm. But the COVID situation has delayed my incorporation.

Locked up at home in quarantine I had no choice but to create something. I had an old idea of creating a technical book of certain subjects that interested me and I had been studying for several years.

Finally, I had no choice but to do it, I needed this to work.

I did the best I could and then, looking for how to promote it, I saw on Twitter there were people who advertised their courses and posted them on Gumroad. Something absolutely unknown to me.

After growing nothing in two weeks, I bought one of those guides on how to grow a Twitter account, created by a guy who had 150k followers. I was very skeptical about it, but I had to try.

I created an account, I put my course on Gumroad and I started studying how to grow my account. I even signed up to a creators platform oriented to "productize" you and scale your online businesses.

Surprisingly, it started working almost immediately. Followers went from 150 to 500, then to 1,000, ... until today I have 7,000. In 3 months.

And most importantly, my course was starting to sell, in addition to the Twitter guide that I started selling as an affiliate.

March $ 100, April $ 500, May $ 2,000. This June I have $ 1,300 until today, day 15th

I'm very surprised, we are much closer than we think to create a successful business. The Internet has made it possible to do it fast if we work well. Fast, not easy.

I remember when I read @G_Alexander in the brutal thread GOLD! - 24 Years old: QUIT six-figure Job, Launched two Businesses he said he had achieved in months an income of $ 1k per month, which together with his savings and investments had allowed him to leave his job. It seemed exceptional to me to get $ 1k in months. A good base to grow. And I was able to do it.

Additionally, in the quarantine, I have been able to buy my apartment from my landlord. As my relationship with him is good, he has deducted the rents paid and left me it at an extremely low price. The apartment was valued by the appraiser 3 times the purchase price. It is a small apartment in the center of a big city. I have a small mortgage to pay each month of less than $ 300.

4. The future

My goal is freedom and being able to dedicate myself 100% to my business, in fact, I already have advanced in 2 more courses.

But I'm thinking about how to do it.

Option 1:

On the one hand, I think that I should continue working in the fund since it increases my income.

And eventually, when I can join the consultancy firm that I went through the process, take it. There is even another job, in a bank, where a friend can put me.

This would allow me to save more money, pay my mortgage in 2-3 years, and be debt-free.

Option 2:

The other option is to dedicate me to my business 100%, leaving my job at the fund. The biggest risk is that the bank asks me to deposit $ 900 a month to maintain the mortgage conditions.

I would rent it since I want and I can live in my hometown, in the countryside, where my family has 2 houses and my grandmother is very old and she is alone, and I would take advantage to take care of her. I also love being there in nature and it is an ideal environment to work in my online businesses.

I could rent my apartment for $ 1k and I would also have the income from the courses that the idea is to increase. With what seems complicated that I do not reach the $ 900 a month that the bank asks for income.

But of course, having this mortgage paid would give more peace of mind.

A friend who is on YouTube and has a channel that already has 20k followers told me that I should take this option. That there always is scary, but that I have enough security.

Another option would be to sell the apartment and invest the money in dividend stocks, which would give me an income of about $ 1.2k a month, without debt. I really like stocks, for diversification and I understand them and I can analyze them since I dedicate myself to this. But perhaps it is to think very small, of having to sell a house that I like and that is bought very cheaply. And having to pay a lot of profit taxes. I think a good portfolio must be made up of stocks and real estate, and this apartment is in one of the best areas of the city.

How do you see it, what would you do?

Lessons

• We are much closer than we think to create a business that we can live on
  • The Internet has multiplied the possibilities and reduced the times of a successful business
  • "Productize": Make a product or service from your experiences. Do you know how to play the guitar? Make a course. Do you work in finance? Make a manual. Do you like tennis? Make a course, classes, etc.
  • Many times the best catalyst is to be in a bad situation when your only way out is to be successful. I had the idea of this course years ago and never did it until the need was real.

I want to thank @MJ DeMarco None of this would have been possible without him.
FLM changed my life, I became obsessed with it, I reread it a thousand times, I recommend it continuously and I keep it in mind every day.

And this is only the beginning.

Greetings.
Thanks for sharing your story!

Soder

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
511%
Jan 3, 2019
Quick update.

Sales:

They continue to grow, both mine and those of my affiliates, every day I have more affiliates.

Lesson: The greatest shortcoming of the human race is our inability to understand the exponential function. Albert Allen Bartlett.

1648157785082.png

New product:

I am finishing a new product, I hope to launch it in the next few months. I like it a lot but in the end the market is the one that decides.

Lesson: Trial and fail. Fast.

Freelance:

Quite good. My client is delighted with me and I have complete freedom. I know it's temporary and sooner or later I'll quit.

There is even a business possibility within my company. We are creating software that we want to sell in the future.

Lesson: Opportunities are right under your nose, open your eyes.

Income vs Expenses:

My total gross monthly income is around $10-$12k, growing.

My expenses are below $2k because, as I said, I bought a very cheap house in the best area of my city.

Lesson: If you want to be rich, increase your expenses less than your income. It's obvious, right?

Investment:

I come from the investment world. It has always been my hobby and I worked on it professionally for 3 years. I am specialized in commodities.

Since the end of 2020 when I started to have money again, my profitability is 166%

Lesson: As your wealth increases, the importance of learning to invest increases.

1648157777021.png

State of mind:

I have never been better.

I am prioritizing health, I have always been fit and I have taken care of my diet, but now I go to a nutritionist/personal trainer. I have gained 15lbs of muscle and have more strength, as an example I have gone from 220lbs deadlift to 353lbs.

The idea is to be rich, strong and smart/happy. What is one of them worth or even 2 if you are missing one of them? In fact, I think they are complementary and feed each other.

Lesson: You're going to die, be your f*****g best version.

1648157898704.png

Conclusion:

Two years ago I was in a shitty job with no money, no home and no future. Depressed.

Today I am on my way to being rich. Happy. Strong. Free.

Lesson: We live in the best time in history, stop watching the news and build an empire.

aero

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Mar 4, 2022
It was so inspring to see your struggles,development and results day by day.Well done!Hope things are going to be much better in the future for you.
I was thinking about creating a business which also depends on creating e-books in a niche area that i am interested in.What confuses me is this,should i create it in my native language or in English?Both options have ups and downs.If i create it in English,my target population will be bigger.However,if i also see a lack of products which is producted in my native language and unfulfilled potential in that area.Of course first option is over-satisfied compared to the latter.What should be my strategy?Thanks and wish everyone the best. @Soder

Last edited:

Soder

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
511%
Jan 3, 2019
It was so inspring to see your struggles,development and results day by day.Well done!Hope things are going to be much better in the future for you.
I was thinking about creating a business which also depends on creating e-books in a niche area that i am interested in.What confuses me is this,should i create it in my native language or in English?Both options have ups and downs.If i create it in English,my target population will be bigger.However,if i also see a lack of products which is producted in my native language and unfulfilled potential in that area.Of course first option is over-satisfied compared to the latter.What should be my strategy?Thanks and wish everyone the best. @Soder
Hi Aero.

Thank you for your encouragement and your words. The hard moments are necessary and they forge you as a person, after passing them you will see them as the basis of your character.

The language is a typical question without a clear answer, since there are people with successful businesses in any language.

The situation is usually:

- English: more demand but more competition
- Another language: less competition but less demand

The key is in the need you cover.

My advice is that by default go to English since the market is global, but your brand, your product, your value must be very specific and personal so that you open a gap in the market.

If, on the other hand, you see too much competition in English and you think it will not be easy to differentiate yourself from them, then go to your mother tongue.

What you have to be clear about is that it is not only a question of language, but that it affects the entire strategy of your business, because each country has a different idiosyncrasy that you must adjust to in order to be successful. Example: It is not the same to sell in Japan than in Mexico.

Start, the market will guide you.

Good luck.

Soder

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
511%
Jan 3, 2019
Hi, guys.

Brief update.

Sales:

Sales continue to increase. Gross sales are close to $20k/month. Net affiliates are around $10k.

1656675390663.png

New Product:

A few months ago I finished my new product. I'll publich it in the next few weeks.

I don't know if it will be sold, if I have learned anything it is that the market is sovereign and it is impossible to know what will work. That's why you have to test and launch quickly, there is always time to adjust, and more with digital products, where you can send new versions to all old customers.

Freelance:

I still keep my freelance job, because I like it and it gives me total freedom. Plus about $5.5k/month, I've raised my rate.

I almost always work from home, with very flexible schedule. But I know it's temporary.

My current plan is to get to $1M in 3-5 years, supported by investment, and I'll leave it. Although if I stop liking this job or my sales continue to increase, I'll quit.

Investment:

As I mentioned, I have been analyzing and investing for years.

The commodity opportunity was clear and my entire portfolio was there. Last year and this year they have given tremendous revaluations, and although I think they have a long way to go, they are no longer as cheap as before.

With what I am now beginning to have more cash, which I want to invest so as not to lose purchasing power due to inflation. But it is a complicated moment because although the rest of the sectors have fallen, if a recession really arrives they can fall more. I have found some interesting investment theses, I will continue analyzing them.

New opportunities:

On the other hand, because of my investment past, one of the best fund managers I know contacted me and invited me to lunch a few weeks ago. It was something very gratifying and surprising for me.

At the end of the meal he asked me if I wanted to work with him.

He has asked me to eat together again next week with his partner.

This is something that not even in my wildest dreams would I have imagined. But the truth is that now I live very well with practically total freedom, and working in an office with bosses 8-10h a day is not in my plans.

I would only do it for $150-$200k/year.

Another option that I can propose is to bill them for the service, being freelance, I don't know if they would agree.

We will see.

--
My total monthly gross income is about $16k and growing. Today I make more money in a month than I did two years ago in a year. And with much more growth and freedom.

It continues to amaze me how much my life has changed in 2 years.

And if I have done it, so can you.

Last edited:

Soder

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
511%
Jan 3, 2019
Hi, guys.

I update 3 points that have come up this week:

- Other Oprtunities: Meeting with managers.

As I mentioned in the previous entry, yesterday I met with the two managers. It was an informal interview type meeting. When I told them my story, they told me that they really didn't understand how I wanted to work with them, that my current life was ideal.

I really just wanted to meet them. It is an honor to be able to talk to such successful people face to face. But I wouldn't take an offer from them.

My obsession has been freedom and I already have it. Although investing is my hobby, going to an office to work 10 hours a day doing what my boss tells me is a huge step backwards for me. Years ago it would have been a dream, now it would be a nightmare.

- Sales:

This week my sales have shot up again.

I have not detected the exact reason, although I do see that some of my affiliates have carried out a special campaign. I have affiliates with hundreds of thousands of followers in the social media and this makes the sales go viral.

Principle of conservatism: I take these sales as something punctual.

- Investment:

I start to have a significant sum of capital and I am going to change my investment strategy to something more conservative.

I am going to buy stable companies that pay increasing dividends. I may get less return than with my medium-term investments in raw materials, but the risk is infinitely less. When your portfolio is small you can risk more, after all that money cannot generate much income, but when it has a significant weight it is better to play it safe.

The ability to make money in the stock market is very different from the ability to keep it. I am now in a very good situation and I want to protect the downside.

In FLM DeMarco talks about that, about using the stock market as a place to maintain wealth, not to generate it. There is also a lot of talk in this forum about houses and rentals, it is another option that I will see in the future, today I feel very comfortable with dividend stocks.

This allows us to think about cash flow, which is what you live on and not so much about the size of your portfolio, which you have to sell to live on.

It will also take up much less time that I can spend creating more products, which is the true source of my wealth.

All the best.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
541%
Apr 17, 2022
F*cking legend.

Your story is such a huge inspiration. Thanks for sharing all the details and your insights, especially the psychology that was behind all your actions, which I believe is ultimately what has lead to your success.

Congratulations and thanks!

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
Hi friends.

Thank you all very much, we are going to turn this thread into Gold, it is a matter of time.

Attached is the evolution of my weekly Gumroad payments:

View attachment 36493
The magic of compound interest and scalability.

But they are still peanuts, the opportunity on the internet is brutal. There are people making hundreds of thousands a week selling PDFs, like Chris Johnson.

The summary would be this image:

View attachment 36490

Create a product or service and leverage yourself on social networks. My advice is that you start with one, the one that best suits you, until you are big enough to go to the others. It is better to have 10,000 followers on a social network than not 2,000 on each of your networks.

Twitter is just one more social network, in fact I think it is the worst, since it has fewer users than Instagram, YouTube or Facebook. But it is the one that fit with my product, for me you have to go to the social network that best suits your product and you:

- Instagram: design, lifestyle, travel, ...
- YouTube: videos, stories, opinion, ...
- Podcast: audio, interviews
- Twitter: ideas

The good thing about Twitter that (I think) the rest does not have is that you can reply to an account with many followers and if your reply has value, you will immediately grab attention.

If you are interested in growing, I recommend this guide, I am an affiliate, but I recommend it because it is the one I used to reach my 20,000 followers in 10 months and be the basis of my business.

Now I am creating my own website, since social networks violate the commandment of control, since they do not depend on you. If Twitter closes tomorrow my business disappears. I need my own website, with my clients' emails (although I already have them through Gumroad).

Also, as I said, I will improve the product and do an online course, I am looking at options, maybe Mighty Networks which is a platform that they speak well of.

By the way, I am rereading TMF , every time I like our particular bible more and more.

Greetings and have a good Sunday.
Well done.

mojorisin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Oct 6, 2019
@sodor - question on hosting platform. You chose gumroad, was there a specific reason? Did you consider Udemy as an option? Udemy is geared more towards "video courses". I see more and more people posting video courses on Gumroad. An advantage of Udemy is a much larger audience.

Soder

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
511%
Jan 3, 2019
@sodor - question on hosting platform. You chose gumroad, was there a specific reason? Did you consider Udemy as an option? Udemy is geared more towards "video courses". I see more and more people posting video courses on Gumroad. An advantage of Udemy is a much larger audience.
Honestly I did not do a lot of platform research. The idea was to test the idea as soon as possible and Gumroad is super simple and cheap and it was used in the niche I saw on Twitter.

The other option was Shopify but it was more expensive, with Gumroad it works for me at the moment and I'm comfortable, although I don't close the doors to change to another.

I think Udemy is more geared towards more structured courses. A friend told me that I should make a bigger version of my product, with videos etc and sell it on Udemy or similar sites for $500.

The truth is that it is something to take into account, I will think about it.

Thanks for the comment.

Minuz

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Nov 19, 2019
Honestly I did not do a lot of platform research. The idea was to test the idea as soon as possible and Gumroad is super simple and cheap and it was used in the niche I saw on Twitter.

The other option was Shopify but it was more expensive, with Gumroad it works for me at the moment and I'm comfortable, although I don't close the doors to change to another.

I think Udemy is more geared towards more structured courses. A friend told me that I should make a bigger version of my product, with videos etc and sell it on Udemy or similar sites for $500.

The truth is that it is something to take into account, I will think about it.

Thanks for the comment.

Amazing and inspiring story.

Would love to see a new update.
Also im curious to know where are you from and what age as i havnt seen it trough out the post.

klix

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Nov 20, 2011
Is your twitter account identity you personally, or is it a brand?

It seems a lot easier to grow person based accounts vs brand ones. Is this correct?

jfirefly556

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Nov 16, 2022
Thanks for sharing really appreciate it man. its so awesome hearing a story like your compared to mine and knowing how similar and different we are with our lives.

ninjacopywriter

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Jan 14, 2023
Hi, friends.

1. The beginnings

I was working as a financial consultant. As a hobby, I had an investment blog, and a private banker called me to create our own investment fund.

The plan was very ambitious, so my desire and passion made me quit my job to start the project.

This was a basic mistake, you cannot, no matter how good it sounds and how much you like it, launch yourself into a business until you have a sufficient base, much less with a stranger.

2. The fall

The reality was much worse than the plan he had told me about. Much less capital to manage what meant an extremely low salary.

This made my situation dramatically worse. My income plummeted until I had financial problems since I had some debts. This led me to a situation wherein my life I thought that it would never come, not even that it could exist. How your life can change in months. My mood suffered for a few months last year.

3. The rebirth

I started looking for a better job. And I went through a process at a large consulting firm. But the COVID situation has delayed my incorporation.

Locked up at home in quarantine I had no choice but to create something. I had an old idea of creating a technical book of certain subjects that interested me and I had been studying for several years.

I did the best I could and then, looking for how to promote it, I saw on Twitter there were people who advertised their courses and posted them on Gumroad. Something absolutely unknown to me.

After growing nothing in two weeks, I bought one of those guides on how to grow a Twitter account, created by a guy who had 150k followers. I was very skeptical about it, but I had to try.

I created an account, I put my course on Gumroad and I started studying how to grow my account. I even signed up to a creators platform oriented to "productize" you and scale your online businesses.

Surprisingly, it started working almost immediately. Followers went from 150 to 500, then to 1,000, ... until today I have 7,000. In 3 months.

And most importantly, my course was starting to sell, in addition to the Twitter guide that I started selling as an affiliate.

March $ 100, April $ 500, May $ 2,000. This June I have $ 1,300 until today, day 15th

I'm very surprised, we are much closer than we think to create a successful business. The Internet has made it possible to do it fast if we work well. Fast, not easy.

I remember when I read @G_Alexander in the brutal thread GOLD! - 24 Years old: QUIT six-figure Job, Launched two Businesses he said he had achieved in months an income of $ 1k per month, which together with his savings and investments had allowed him to leave his job. It seemed exceptional to me to get $ 1k in months. A good base to grow. And I was able to do it.

Additionally, in the quarantine, I have been able to buy my apartment from my landlord. As my relationship with him is good, he has deducted the rents paid and left me it at an extremely low price. The apartment was valued by the appraiser 3 times the purchase price. It is a small apartment in the center of a big city. I have a small mortgage to pay each month of less than $ 300.

4. The future

My goal is freedom and being able to dedicate myself 100% to my business, in fact, I already have advanced in 2 more courses.

Option 1:

On the one hand, I think that I should continue working in the fund since it increases my income.

And eventually, when I can join the consultancy firm that I went through the process, take it. There is even another job, in a bank, where a friend can put me.

This would allow me to save more money, pay my mortgage in 2-3 years, and be debt-free.

Option 2:

The other option is to dedicate me to my business 100%, leaving my job at the fund. The biggest risk is that the bank asks me to deposit $ 900 a month to maintain the mortgage conditions.

I would rent it since I want and I can live in my hometown, in the countryside, where my family has 2 houses and my grandmother is very old and she is alone, and I would take advantage to take care of her. I also love being there in nature and it is an ideal environment to work in my online businesses.

I could rent my apartment for $ 1k and I would also have the income from the courses that the idea is to increase. With what seems complicated that I do not reach the $ 900 a month that the bank asks for income.

A friend who is on YouTube and has a channel that already has 20k followers told me that I should take this option. That there always is scary, but that I have enough security.

Another option would be to sell the apartment and invest the money in dividend stocks, which would give me an income of about $ 1.2k a month, without debt. I really like stocks, for diversification and I understand them and I can analyze them since I dedicate myself to this. But perhaps it is to think very small, of having to sell a house that I like and that is bought very cheaply. And having to pay a lot of profit taxes. I think a good portfolio must be made up of stocks and real estate, and this apartment is in one of the best areas of the city.

Lessons

• The Internet has multiplied the possibilities and reduced the times of a successful business
  • "Productize": Make a product or service from your experiences. Do you know how to play the guitar? Make a course. Do you work in finance? Make a manual. Do you like tennis? Make a course, classes, etc.
  • Many times the best catalyst is to be in a bad situation when your only way out is to be successful. I had the idea of this course years ago and never did it until the need was real.

FLM changed my life, I became obsessed with it, I reread it a thousand times, I recommend it continuously and I keep it in mind every day.

Greetings.
Thank you for sharing that..I've recently came across this whole new world of people who are building their one person business online...or ghostwriting for founders, etc...this guy makes 30K per month as a ghostwriter on Twitter, started his newsletter and he used to be a journalist in NY and made 90K a year..now he makes that in 3 months!!

Ive been interested in this model of business and seeing people use Gumroad to sell their products...theres another guy who says people can monetize even with a small following.

Thank you @Soder if is ok, I will DM you :)

Brass Pockets

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 26, 2023
UK
Hi, friends.

1. The beginnings

2. The fall

3. The rebirth

4. The future

Option 1:

Option 2:

Lessons

Greetings.
Well done you

Really heartfelt story you have survived to tell, we have all been here

Lost my job last week so know what it feels like to fall, however as Malcolm X said 'stumbling isn't falling'

Already restarted my life this week taking it more seriously and building a side income, I will need another day job for a while to keep me going but the difference is this time the side income is my focus away from the daily grind

I've simply had enough of this employment security crap

Good hunting!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.