The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

From 0 code experience to SaaS in 12 months

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Jonster

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jan 24, 2017
Bristol, United Kingdom
I’m not the most active poster on this forum. But I’ve been busy this last year so it’s about time for an update.

This time last year I had an idea to create a new online mindmap software, with more emphasis on simple design and better implementing the notes feature. My aim was to produce something i could use to organise my notes, and visualise the connections between them.

I made some attempts at gathering soft proof, which proved reasonably successful, despite the small sample sizes.

With renewed enthusiasm, I hit a wall. How on earth would I make this?

To avoid this turning into a code vs no code debate I won’t discuss my reasons why, but I concluded that I needed to learn.

Over the next 6 months I set about teaching myself HTML, CSS, and Javascript. This was quickly followed by the JS framework React with Redux, which then allowed me to build the front end of the application.

This led into learning Node js, followed by express to flesh out the back end.

Once I’d learnt the required code I cracked on and built the first prototype and live version of the web application, coupled with a bespoke landing page and microsite.

You can find the website at NoteMaps

If you have time, take a look, try the application and let me know what you think. At this stage of development feedback is my one and only goal, as this will drive further development (if any).

What’s next is to figure out how to get users, and start to build momentum. I’m a little clueless how to do this besides spending my bank account on google ads / posting on forums like this one. But I guess I have to start somewhere.
It's currently a free service, though I intend to charge for extra features as do most of my competitors.

I’ll endeavor to post more often, to keep you guys posted.
Post here or PM me if you have any questions regarding anything I mentioned!
- Jonster

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

conquer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
327%
Apr 30, 2016
I applaud your action.

You have a product, now you need feedback.

Approach your target market, let them use and gauge their feedback. Don’t just rely on ads, meet your audience and ask questions.

Refine your offerings with the feedback. Pay close attention because you might even uncover a different goldmine in the process.

Jonster

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jan 24, 2017
Bristol, United Kingdom
What were some of the best resources you used to teach yourself Javascript?
To get started and learn the fundamentals (syntax and core language features) i used codecademy.com.

Then I took this course on Udemy:
The Complete Web Developer Course 2.0 | Udemy
This is pretty comprehensive, covering a whole bunch of topics, not just javascript.
It's worth mentioning you could start with this course and skip codecademy, but codecademy has a more "learn by doing" approach which I prefer.

following that I took these courses to learn React with Redux and node js respectively:
Modern React with Redux | Udemy
Node with React: Fullstack Web Development | Udemy

hope this helps!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Parker P

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Aug 25, 2017
San Jose, Ca
What were some of the best resources you used to teach yourself Javascript?

Parker P

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Aug 25, 2017
San Jose, Ca
To get started and learn the fundamentals (syntax and core language features) i used codecademy.com.

Then I took this course on Udemy:
The Complete Web Developer Course 2.0 | Udemy
This is pretty comprehensive, covering a whole bunch of topics, not just javascript.
It's worth mentioning you could start with this course and skip codecademy, but codecademy has a more "learn by doing" approach which I prefer.

following that I took these courses to learn React with Redux and node js respectively:
Modern React with Redux | Udemy
Node with React: Fullstack Web Development | Udemy

hope this helps!
Thank you! Your website looks great too. You made incredible progress in a year.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.