The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

"Free" trials for SaaS

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Vas87

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jul 4, 2012
Australia
Hi everyone, I've got a saas that I've developed over the last couple of months for healthcare workers. I'm a little stuck on how to price/ offer the trial.
I see the usual way is 30 days free, and the question is:
Do I ask for a credit card upfront and possibly reduce the number of trial sign-ups, or do I wait until the end of the trial and then if they choose to continue to then ask for the credit card.

(Neil Patel seems to think option 2 is the way to go: https://neilpatel.com/blog/free-trial-is-over/)

What does your experience say? I quite like the idea of no credit card upfront as it lets the service speak for itself, and if it's good enough people will want to continue using it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

MycoMan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Jan 17, 2022
you should have a trial that is not timed limited but resource limited like storage, users etc. look at Notion Pricing Plans. If people like it they will upgrade. time limited trials are annoying for the end user.

Ed Schimmel

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Nov 19, 2021
Brisbane, Australia
Hi everyone, I've got a saas that I've developed over the last couple of months for healthcare workers. I'm a little stuck on how to price/ offer the trial.
I see the usual way is 30 days free, and the question is:
Do I ask for a credit card upfront and possibly reduce the number of trial sign-ups, or do I wait until the end of the trial and then if they choose to continue to then ask for the credit card.

(Neil Patel seems to think option 2 is the way to go: https://neilpatel.com/blog/free-trial-is-over/)

What does your experience say? I quite like the idea of no credit card upfront as it lets the service speak for itself, and if it's good enough people will want to continue using it.

Hi Vas87,

I just released a SaaS product and decided to not ask for credit cards detail until after the trial period. That way I also don't have to care about the details being stored. Of course, I don't store them myself, but still they are stored at the payment providers'.

Personally, I don't like it when companies ask for my credit card details before I can use a trial. On the other hand, other people argue that storing them beforehand might keep your subscribers subscribed, because they don't bother unsubscribing.

Limited functionality is not always an option

Vas87

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jul 4, 2012
Australia
Thanks so I'll do a timed (30 day trial) as there is no data limit. And no CC details required until after the period is up, and I'll offer 10-20% off if they go on a paid plan before the trial period is up.

@Ed Schimmel hope you're keeping dry with all the crazy weather you've had in Brissy!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ed Schimmel

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Nov 19, 2021
Brisbane, Australia
Thanks so I'll do a timed (30 day trial) as there is no data limit. And no CC details required until after the period is up, and I'll offer 10-20% off if they go on a paid plan before the trial period is up.

@Ed Schimmel hope you're keeping dry with all the crazy weather you've had in Brissy!
At the moment, it is not too bad. Had to dig a few trenches underneath the house, to let the water flow from underneath it. Three days of heavy rainfall. But now it is ok.

Vas87

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jul 4, 2012
Australia
At the moment, it is not too bad. Had to dig a few trenches underneath the house, to let the water flow from underneath it. Three days of heavy rainfall. But now it is ok.
Great to hear the situation is improving.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.