The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Focus on one business? Yes, but for how long?

Anything related to matters of the mind

BlackLands

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Jun 5, 2019
Hello everyone, I am aware that focusing on one business is the best thing and most of the time the results don't come right away. What I'm wondering is how do you figure out if it's worth continuing to work on that business or if it's time to move on to something else? MJ DeMarco failed in various businesses before he became rich, but if he had insisted on one of those maybe now he would be even richer. I hope I have explained myself, good day everyone.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Knugs

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jan 10, 2016
I think you will know when the time has come to move on. EX Lack of progression, lack of sales, bad ROI, horrible CLTV. When you burn all the money you have or when you keep losing money and dont see any option to leave the hole.

Zealander

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Aug 20, 2020
European union
I would agree that the time would be when you do not see progression in a year. For example I am involved in the e learning space (udemy instructor) and the market is there (325 billion by 2025). And during a year I have moved up from 0 profit to making 2000 (throughout the whole year, i know, not much) dollars. So that is good progression during the year for me.

Of course I see a lot of competition and a lot of issues with this market (namely a lot of quite good free courses + people who do it out of passion and give out their content for free). And if I don't make considerable progress in the coming year I would move on to something else. I just feel that during this whole corona craziness it is a good Idea and I am already making money from it.

I would suggest a couple of questions:
1. Have you made any progress in the last few months? If not, why?
2. Are there any opportunities that would REALLY be better? (Not an excuse to drop what you are doing and go to a shiny new idea, but you have to be open to opportunities)

Last edited:

RealDreams

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jun 22, 2018
Honestly, from my experience, there's no precise answer. It's more a thing you understand through trial and error than a straight fact.

I quit my blog despite the fact I was making money and had 100 users a day visiting it, and I did all this in 4-5 months ranking many posts in the first page for determined kw's.

And yet, I decided to quit the blog cause I wasn't making 4-figures, but after 5 months (aka just a few weeks ago) I realized how dumb that choice to quit was. Who makes 4-figures in the first year by writing a blog? Probably nobody, unless you are boosting your blog with paid ads and influencers. And yet I had this high, unrealistic standard that made me quit. Who knows where I'd been if I kept going for at least 2 years.

I'm now working on a YT channel (and I know it's laughable to consider it a "business) and I decided not to quit at the first sign of defeat.
There's so much you can learn by working on a business and keep failing on it. Try different approaches, but on the same business. Of course, if you run out of money, it's hard. But you can always learn skills by yourself. You have the internet at your disposal.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
Hello everyone, I am aware that focusing on one business is the best thing and most of the time the results don't come right away. What I'm wondering is how do you figure out if it's worth continuing to work on that business or if it's time to move on to something else? MJ DeMarco failed in various businesses before he became rich, but if he had insisted on one of those maybe now he would be even richer. I hope I have explained myself, good day everyone.
This is a rather strange question with many many answers.
You might want to put a time cap on your business, or a money cap or you can hit a physics wall which makes your idea immpossible.
The list is endless.

Why do you ask this question?
Are you working on a business which isnt taking off the ground?

pumpking