The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

First sale - 45 minutes after go live :)

Share your FTE moment...

PeopleFinder

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
355%
Nov 14, 2016
UK
Having worked for quite a number of years in IT and spent the last few years working as a self-employed IT Consultant on projects worth tens of millions of dollars, it all got too much in September and I decided enough was enough before it killed me.

I have always had more of an interest in SAAS and glueing the back end and data together than app design so have spent the last few months focusing on Twitter semantic analysis and building systems to identify fake Twitter accounts and bots and use Twitter to build pre-qualified marketing leads.

In summary, I finished coding on Friday, spent Saturday testing and put a pricing page on the website this Sunday afternoon. I took the dog for a walk, got home and had an order.

Now the hard work begins and for once I am looking forward to it because it is building on something which I have created and ultimately control. These two things, 'create something' and 'control' are my main take aways from MJ's brilliant book.

And the reason I am doing this? I have no interest in cars and believe less is more. My motivators are simply 'I have achieved something on my terms' and no longer having to wake up at 3:30 am on a Monday morning to travel 500 miles get back home 22:30 on Friday.

My first sale is $10.00 but it is the start.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

PeopleFinder

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
355%
Nov 14, 2016
UK
Congrats!

Your service is focused on Twitter, something you cannot control. How do you plan on getting around that?

I agree, that a dependency on Twitter appears to be contradictory. I originally built the software to work in realtime but realised that this was breaking due to Twitter's API limits. I then switched it to a batch process which tightly controls how it interacts with Twitter and does not break their API restrictions.

At the end of the day though, my value add is the ability to look at something someone is posting, match it to something someone else is posting and then follow this up with a review of the person posting to assess whether they are genuine or not.

I use Twitter because it makes this information available, I am also looking to alternative data sources so yes, I agree totally that I am dependant Twitter raw data but I believe that I have added value to it and if they did cut me off then the principle still holds with other social networks and communication channels which I could leverage. The value is in turning data into information, not necessarily in the data pipe itself.

As John Donne once said 'no man is an island'. We are all dependant on each other and owning control of your business is critical, if you don't have that control then you have nothing. But yes, at the end of the day, I am beholden to Twitter

PeopleFinder

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
355%
Nov 14, 2016
UK
I agree, that a dependency on Twitter appears to be contradictory. I originally built the software to work in realtime but realised that this was breaking due to Twitter's API limits. I then switched it to a batch process which tightly controls how it interacts with Twitter and does not break their API restrictions.

At the end of the day though, my value add is the ability to look at something someone is posting, match it to something someone else is posting and then follow this up with a review of the person posting to assess whether they are genuine or not.

I use Twitter because it makes this information available, I am also looking to alternative data sources so yes, I agree totally that I am dependant Twitter raw data but I believe that I have added value to it and if they did cut me off then the principle still holds with other social networks and communication channels which I could leverage. The value is in turning data into information, not necessarily in the data pipe itself.

As John Donne once said 'no man is an island'. We are all dependant on each other and owning control of your business is critical, if you don't have that control then you have nothing. But yes, at the end of the day, I am beholden to Twitter

I think it is going to be a long night, I have just had a second order come through!

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
Congrats! You've already passed a point many "entrepreneurs" haven't achieved, your first sale! I remember my first time it happened for me; the feeling is exhilarating for sure. Keep at it and looking forward to your updates.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
I think it is going to be a long night, I have just had a second order come through!
1exxzz.jpg

PeopleFinder

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
355%
Nov 14, 2016
UK
@PeopleFinder good job on taking action and your first sales!

Seeing that you're getting orders so soon after launch, did you do any sort of marketing for your product?

Hi, good question, the short answer is that I have a marketing phobia na have spent most of the past couple of months working on the software but I spent about £5.00 on Google Adwords yesterday (Sunday) with about 20 clicks to the website resulting in the 2 purchases.

what is interesting is that I had run the same ads on Saturday for double the amount, offering a free trial, this resulted in just 3 people signing up for a free trial. I finished these off on Sunday and then thought to myself, 'what would happen if I scrapped the trial and left everything the same as it is'. This ended with the sales straight off. My assumption prior to this was that if I didn't offer a demo or trial, no one would buy anything.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Great job getting that first sale! And great ROI on your AdWords. If you haven't already read @Andy Black's Adwords master post, go read it now.

Now that you know how you've gotten that first sale, keep doing it again and again until you've figured it out.

PeopleFinder

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
355%
Nov 14, 2016
UK
Great job getting that first sale! And great ROI on your AdWords. If you haven't already read @Andy Black's Adwords master post, go read it now.

Now that you know how you've gotten that first sale, keep doing it again and again until you've figured it out.
thanks for the Tip I will check it out now

best wishes

Simon

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio