The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

First Failure... New Ideas

Idea threads

SeanKelly

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 8, 2012
Hey guys,

It's been a while since I last posted about my Home Maintenance company (https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/narrowed-it-down-to-two-ideas.48041/) but I would like to update everyone on the status of that. I'd also like input on three ideas I've had for a while.

So here's why I believe the business never took off:

On the contractor side of things...
1. The contractors wanted EVERYTHING on their terms which caused much hassle for me as the middle man between them and the clients.
2. Contractors love to not show up on time or at all which leads to scheduling issues and lost revenue.
3. For the most part, contractors own their own job rather than business and so it was hard for them to find time to complete the requests I was receiving on top of their own.
4. I was seeking out the "best of the best" without realizing (until after the fact) that the "best of the best" were already busy and highly sought after.

On the client side of things...
1. People did not see the value in using my service over others such as angies list, yelp, etc
2. People typically would use my vendors for the first service and then eliminate my company from the equation.

There were more, but those were the most prevalent.

I FULLY understand that with enhanced procedures I could have worked to eliminate some of these problems, but with the model I set up I was burning cash fast. I have since decided to refocus on something else that I think will prove to be more fast lane in the long run.

So on to the new fresh ideas that I am excited about starting. I will be choosing one this weekend and starting it this upcoming Monday.

Idea 1:
Refocus the Home Maintenance (everything from landscaping to roofing) to more of a minor repair business. Instead of focusing on large diversified projects, I'd send guys out for smaller, more manageable jobs similar to the typical handyman service.

Pros - Already have a few contractors signed on
Cons - Still have to deal with contracts, payment terms, etc instead of simply selling leads like HomeAdvisor.com

Idea 2:
Similar to idea 1, but solely concentrated in one particular industry. For example, due to my experience I was thinking about launching a similar service for lawn maintenance. We would find customers across the country, sign on reputable maintenance companies, and then take a $5.00 cut from each lawn service. 4 service a month * $5.00 * 5000 lawns = $100,000 a month. Even if we're only in a few cities 5000 lawn accounts would not be difficult to get with decent advertising. There are also other services (landscaping, leaf cleanup, etc) that we could potentially take a cut of.

Pros - I have experience in the industry. Scalability is good
Cons - Keeping track of all customers and independent contractors will be difficult. Seasonal

Idea 3:
Non-medical senior care. Was originally going to do in house with employees, but already foresee scalability issues with the cost of employees. If I decided to pursue it, I would use a model similar to Jack's INSIDERS's call in order to receive and then sell leads.

Pros - Baby boomer market is growing rapidly. Highly needed service in that particular demographic
Cons - Difficult to get leads. Lots of red tape and licensing requirements. Service is extremely personal and also long term which places more liability on my company

I'd really like your input on these ideas guys. One of these will be launching Monday. I've learned a lot from my failure, but I'd like to make my next venture a success.

My main goal here is to scale quickly by taking Jack's approach of serving as the marketing department for the existing service providers and taking a cut of each job.

Thanks guys! Please ask any questions you may have and also share your input!

Sean

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

GSF

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Aug 25, 2012
Hi Sean, from the 3 choices you've posted I'd go with option 2, it's an industry your familiar with, you can focus on one service (lawns) to start and scale that up instead of multiple and once you've cracked it then you can go into/add other services, I used to do lawns now I do tree services, lawns was scalable and repeat

SeanKelly

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 8, 2012
1. Jacks idea, not cool.
2. Best of the three.
3. I don't think this a business idea yet.

I've had this idea for quite some time now (I just decided to offer more services and my target market is different). The only thing that would be similar to Jack's idea would be using the power of relationships for referrals. I can post a link to my original thread if you'd like.

Hi Sean, from the 3 choices you've posted I'd go with option 2, it's an industry your familiar with, you can focus on one service (lawns) to start and scale that up instead of multiple and once you've cracked it then you can go into/add other services, I used to do lawns now I do tree services, lawns was scalable and repeat

I'm definitely considering it. All 3 ideas have potential, but I want to make sure I choose the best fit for me. I appreciate your input!

SeanKelly

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 8, 2012
BUMP. Gotta get going with one tomorrow. Would absolutely love your input guys. Even just a sentence or two

TopChef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
May 22, 2013
Near San Diego
Hey Sean. Good to hear from you again! :)

Sorry to hear that you are struggling now, but I still think your original idea is killer. Before you kill that one off I would like to hear some more specifics. What exact services were you offering? What services were you actually getting calls on?

A couple points on why you may have found problems:

To me it looks like you have a classic 2 sided market problem. Until you get enough customers, you cannot exert any leverage on the contractors. And until you get enough high quality contractors, you cannot offer any compelling package to potential customers.

I'm not entirely sure on how you tried to approach this business, but I wonder if maybe you tried to offer too much too soon? Did you offer an all in one solution for home maintenance needs from the beginning? Trying to go this route before you have built up the infrastructure and built a brand name might be too hard or expensive to do.

Maybe you could consider focusing on one niche. Say lawn care. Once you have a captive audience who love your service, trust you, and are willing to offer you testimonials and referrals you can start adding services one by one. Lets say pool service. In this case you still aren't able to offer an all in one package to home owners yet, but you could offer your large pool of customers to pool maintenance guys. Because of the large customer base you already have from lawn care you could exert some leverage on these contractors, and because you already have an established relationship with your customer base they will want to go through you because you are vetting these guys.

Now start adding niches one by one. Home cleaning? Painting? Winterizing homes? As your customer base grows, your offer to contractors becomes stronger. As you get better contractors, your offer to customers becomes stronger. At a certain point, customers and contractors will begin to hear about your business and then your brand itself will be enough to offer value.

I think in the beginning you may need to live with low margins just to grow the network. In other words offer leads to contractors for free until your business grows enough. For the consumer, you can offer other services at no additional cost while still vetting contractors and offering centralized billing, etc.

Also, please link your previous threads on this topic. Others may not remember.

Stubbers

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Feb 27, 2014
Borington, Ontario
Sorry that it never worked out for you, not sure where you are but up here 40k west of Toronto you'd kill it with the smaller tasks not the big renos. I did a home show last year and was chatting with the owner of a property maintenance company with about 12 crews. They do everything for the homeowner lawn care, gutter cleaning, window cleaning, roofing repairs, pool stuff and general handyman stuff, the customers pay a monthly/annual fee. I see his trucks all the time and he said he never needs to go,further than the two local cities

SeanKelly

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 8, 2012
Sorry that it never worked out for you, not sure where you are but up here 40k west of Toronto you'd kill it with the smaller tasks not the big renos. I did a home show last year and was chatting with the owner of a property maintenance company with about 12 crews. They do everything for the homeowner lawn care, gutter cleaning, window cleaning, roofing repairs, pool stuff and general handyman stuff, the customers pay a monthly/annual fee. I see his trucks all the time and he said he never needs to go,further than the two local cities

Thank you for your reply! That's very interesting that that model has worked so well for him. Maybe I should look more into a "Coverage Plan" rather than a cost per job. It quite difficult to predict the amount and severity of repairs beforehand though, so a plan may be a challenge to price accurately. Definitely some food for thought!

Deevo

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jan 24, 2014
You need to make it a win-win for everyone. Produce leads that the contractor would have never received without your service. Build a network of contractors, developers, bankers, real estate agents, etc.

Why are the contractors showing up late? Could there be improvement on your end (more thorough interview process, improved communication, etc)? Dig deep. If they don't fit, they don't fit. Don't let it marinate, get rid of the junk quick.

With residential, home owners just don't know they need it, until they need it. Which is different than commercial/retail as they typically have someone on speed dial, especially well known national/international retail locations.

Work on consistency with your network. Contacting them at the right time once is all you need. It will build from there.

SeanKelly

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 8, 2012
You need to make it a win-win for everyone. Produce leads that the contractor would have never received without your service. Build a network of contractors, developers, bankers, real estate agents, etc.

Why are the contractors showing up late? Could there be improvement on your end (more thorough interview process, improved communication, etc)? Dig deep. If they don't fit, they don't fit. Don't let it marinate, get rid of the junk quick.

With residential, home owners just don't know they need it, until they need it. Which is different than commercial/retail as they typically have someone on speed dial, especially well known national/international retail locations.

Work on consistency with your network. Contacting them at the right time once is all you need. It will build from there.

I appreciate your advice. I will definitely take all of that into consideration and work to improve on my overall business structure. Like you said, I need to focus on consistency.

Deevo

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jan 24, 2014
@SeanKelly

I have no idea what you're doing or not doing. You have two choices. Keep grinding or give up. Not everything is going to work out. That's OK. Keep at it.

BTW, I could have used you guys. Even with a construction background, starting from scratch in another state is a PITA. I'd imagine ones without any knowledge would have it rough. You call people and very few show up, they don't know what they're doing, or try to pull a robbery (shoot for high numbers and hope you're the 1/100 that accepts it). There's definitely a difference between the Midwest and the Southwest in this alone. We did most of the renovation ourselves but the things we didn't want to do we just built up a network quickly and went from there.

Then thereafter we had to hire a few to manage a few things around the property when away even though everything was automated as much as possible. Lets just say there wasn't much left that had to be hired out, even when no one was at the property for a couple months at a time.

So whether you help as more of a GC, the follow-up maintenance/upkeep or both, there's definitely a need for both. Areas in new construction, commercial, remodels and before/after sales. Competitors prove that but I had no idea if these companies were available in the area or not. Improved marketing/customer awareness/networking could help you KILL it.

Feel free to PM me. I'd be willing to share some of my experiences being in the industry.

Stubbers

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Feb 27, 2014
Borington, Ontario
Thank you for your reply! That's very interesting that that model has worked so well for him. Maybe I should look more into a "Coverage Plan" rather than a cost per job. It quite difficult to predict the amount and severity of repairs beforehand though, so a plan may be a challenge to price accurately. Definitely some food for thought!
Sean I just sent you a link http://www.grievehome.com have you ever called other companies doing the same thing? I am in the dryer vent cleaning & installation niche right now and have called competitors in other areas many a time just to chit chat... When they know you are not a threat they will open up and offer advice. I always say you can see my cell phone number and my website is www. To reassure that I am not in the same city

SeanKelly

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 8, 2012
I really appreciate all of the input guys. Would love to hear even more!

randomnumber314

speed of a drunk camel
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 7, 2014
Minnesoooota,USA
Idea 2:
Similar to idea 1, but solely concentrated in one particular industry. For example, due to my experience I was thinking about launching a similar service for lawn maintenance. We would find customers across the country, sign on reputable maintenance companies, and then take a $5.00 cut from each lawn service. 4 service a month * $5.00 * 5000 lawns = $100,000 a month. Even if we're only in a few cities 5000 lawn accounts would not be difficult to get with decent advertising. There are also other services (landscaping, leaf cleanup, etc) that we could potentially take a cut of.

I literally made a site for just this. I literally have that software sitting on my computer. PM me and I'll fill you in on the details and you can decide if you want it or not. Note-getting customers is the hard part. Think about that part really hard. I couldn't come up with a cost-effective solution so I dropped the project.

youngtrep

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Dec 30, 2013
Northeast USA
I literally made a site for just this. I literally have that software sitting on my computer. PM me and I'll fill you in on the details and you can decide if you want it or not. Note-getting customers is the hard part. Think about that part really hard. I couldn't come up with a cost-effective solution so I dropped the project.

I totally agree about the difficulty of getting customers. It is easy to sit and think, wow if I just get 5000 customers at $5 each per week I am making more money than I ever dreamed of. Sorry, but you are not just going to go find 5000 families who desperately want their lawn taken care of by someone they have never met before. In my neighborhood everyone either has a landscaper or cuts their own lawn. Maybe you could convince one or two, but you are going to work your a$$ off doing it. Now imagine trying to do that 5000 times across multiple states. Of course it is possible, but it is going to take a long time.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.