The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Firefighter/Entrepreneur seeking business ideas for off duty days

Idea threads

Lazershow

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Oct 12, 2019
Yeah I know it would be a pay cut! It would only be after I can secure rental income from real estate properties, as a "do it because I want". Is a Fire Medic just an EMT that works at the Fire Dept instead of a hospital ER? The plan is to get all the certs yes not stop at basic, or at least make it to EMT-P, but originally the idea was to make it into a fire dept.
Thats awesome to do it because you want to and not for the money, hats off to you! Yes the title Firemedic is misleading, you would think that means Firefighter/Paramedic but its a Firefighter/EMT. Some fire departments are different, my department requires you to be at least an EMT and Fire certified to get hired. Some shifts I will ride the rescue with a paramedic and some shifts Im on the engine, and others on the ladder truck, regardless we all go to to a fire when we get one. Other departments do fire only, and others will require you to become a Paramedic within your first 3 years on the job or else they will let you go. I always tell people interested in the job to go into some local fire departments/houses and talk to the guys/gals that work there and get a feel for what you need to accomplish in order to get hired. I hope this helps and sorry so choppy but Im at the fire house typing in between calls :) If you need anything I will gladly help!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
Firefighter screams trust and authority to me. So many opportunities.

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Thats awesome to do it because you want to and not for the money, hats off to you! Yes the title Firemedic is misleading, you would think that means Firefighter/Paramedic but its a Firefighter/EMT. Some fire departments are different, my department requires you to be at least an EMT and Fire certified to get hired. Some shifts I will ride the rescue with a paramedic and some shifts Im on the engine, and others on the ladder truck, regardless we all go to to a fire when we get one. Other departments do fire only, and others will require you to become a Paramedic within your first 3 years on the job or else they will let you go. I always tell people interested in the job to go into some local fire departments/houses and talk to the guys/gals that work there and get a feel for what you need to accomplish in order to get hired. I hope this helps and sorry so choppy but Im at the fire house typing in between calls :) If you need anything I will gladly help!

Thank you!!

Bertram

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 25, 2015
Virginia
".Thank you for what you do...As a firefighter you carry the selling attributes of courage, effort, good sense, responsibility, brotherhood and conscientiousness...I think you have the world at your feet."
--- Bertram

--Michael Scott
You must be thinking of Lizzy Bennett. :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Lazershow

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Oct 12, 2019
Welcome to the forum!

I'm a volunteer firefighter up here in New Jersey. You're living the dream of being a paid firefighter that a lot of my colleagues up here are chasing. Awesome stuff!

I have a few industry specific ideas that I have had on the back burner for a while. I'm working on achieving one of them, but that has been placed on the back burner as well. I really need to prioritize and make some moves towards turning these ideas into a reality instead of sitting around and being idle.

The one idea I'm working on now is to create a device that aids in the inspection of certain pieces of gear/equipment while minimizing or completely eliminating the exposure to carcinogens. The way it's done now is an unnecessary risk to your health. I've been dragging my feet on the electronics side of it and am thinking of just outsourcing this part of the development to get it off my plate. I need to get it done, get over the hump, and keep making progress. I have a few other ideas involving drones that don't exist on the market as of yet, but once again, I'm stuck with how to proceed and I'm not prioritizing.

As far as opportunities for you, training is a huge business opportunity that has exploded over the past few years. There has always been a "we do it this way because that's the way its always been done" attitude in the fire service up until recently. Now it's about constantly training, constantly learning, and constantly improving yourself and your department. You can definitely make some money as a consultant or by offering up your experience to others in the industry.

There's also a big push on minimizing exposure to carcinogens by wearing proper PPE during incidents and keeping your gear clean. This is the route I'm headed down with a few of my ideas. One of the ideas I had was to start a mobile gear cleaning service. A lot of departments don't have the right cleaning equipment or a place to put it. Some departments and towns don't have the money because this stuff is expensive. Many departments just don't emphasize the importance of keeping your gear clean. Some of the equipment, including stuff in my department, hasn't been clean or cleaned since the day it was removed from the box.

Why not buy an old rescue truck, outfit it with washers, wash basins, repair provisions, etc., and drive around from fire house to fire house offering turnout gear repair/cleaning along with mask and equipment cleaning? Gear is expensive, so you want to keep it clean and maintained so it's not failing in the field or giving you cancer after a fire. Sending certain gear out for repair also takes up time and having something same day or on the spot could be beneficial. I think something like this definitely has potential if executed correctly.

If you ever need someone to bounce some ideas off of or to get some feedback or a different perspective on something, let me know!

Welcome to the forum!

I'm a volunteer firefighter up here in New Jersey. You're living the dream of being a paid firefighter that a lot of my colleagues up here are chasing. Awesome stuff!

I have a few industry specific ideas that I have had on the back burner for a while. I'm working on achieving one of them, but that has been placed on the back burner as well. I really need to prioritize and make some moves towards turning these ideas into a reality instead of sitting around and being idle.

The one idea I'm working on now is to create a device that aids in the inspection of certain pieces of gear/equipment while minimizing or completely eliminating the exposure to carcinogens. The way it's done now is an unnecessary risk to your health. I've been dragging my feet on the electronics side of it and am thinking of just outsourcing this part of the development to get it off my plate. I need to get it done, get over the hump, and keep making progress. I have a few other ideas involving drones that don't exist on the market as of yet, but once again, I'm stuck with how to proceed and I'm not prioritizing.

As far as opportunities for you, training is a huge business opportunity that has exploded over the past few years. There has always been a "we do it this way because that's the way its always been done" attitude in the fire service up until recently. Now it's about constantly training, constantly learning, and constantly improving yourself and your department. You can definitely make some money as a consultant or by offering up your experience to others in the industry.

There's also a big push on minimizing exposure to carcinogens by wearing proper PPE during incidents and keeping your gear clean. This is the route I'm headed down with a few of my ideas. One of the ideas I had was to start a mobile gear cleaning service. A lot of departments don't have the right cleaning equipment or a place to put it. Some departments and towns don't have the money because this stuff is expensive. Many departments just don't emphasize the importance of keeping your gear clean. Some of the equipment, including stuff in my department, hasn't been clean or cleaned since the day it was removed from the box.

Why not buy an old rescue truck, outfit it with washers, wash basins, repair provisions, etc., and drive around from fire house to fire house offering turnout gear repair/cleaning along with mask and equipment cleaning? Gear is expensive, so you want to keep it clean and maintained so it's not failing in the field or giving you cancer after a fire. Sending certain gear out for repair also takes up time and having something same day or on the spot could be beneficial. I think something like this definitely has potential if executed correctly.

If you ever need someone to bounce some ideas off of or to get some feedback or a different perspective on something, let me know!
Thank you my Jersey brother, I was born and raised (20 yrs) in Millville New Jersey, been down in Florida for the last 20 years. Love it here but sure as hell miss the great food up there ;) I volunteered for 2.5 years before getting hired full time so I know what its like to chase it, but I had a great time doing it for free and I would do it again if I couldn't be a full timer.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.