The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Finding and sticking to something?

Anything related to matters of the mind

bmlyon

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Dec 10, 2013
Wrightsville Beach NC
Over the past couple of years I have bounced from idea to the next in search of a business idea that could yield great returns and bring about fulfillment. I'm 25 and time is zipping by and I feel if I don't find my path soon..... well I'm not sure what I'm going to do. Maybe join Special Forces or Air Force Special Ops if I can't get a business started. I refuse to live a mediocre life.

I recently sold my soul to a job as a Project Manager and it is the worst thing ever. My first time ever working for the man as I have worked for my father's company and spent time in the military, which is totally different than working for the "man". This job is DRAINING the life out of me and sucking my enthusiasm in large amounts daily as it brings about zero fulfillment. Oh and fighting traffic for an hour is awesome!

I took this job with the intent of receiving "paid" training, create the needed contacts then to create my own business in this industry. The further I get into to this, I realize that it sucks and I have zero interest in it. This seems to be the common theme for my life over the years; finding something, spending months in it then realizing I have no interest or desire to go any further with it. Then I jump to something else. I need to find something and commit my life to it. I'm just wasting valuable time and getting nowhere doing this.

I understand that following your passion will not make you wealthy but is it possible to find something I halfway enjoy doing or something I can stand to put large amounts of effort into to create a successful life?
Basically how in the hell do I find what I'm looking for and stick to it?
How do I eliminate my "bouncing" and possible shinny object syndrome and commit to something?

I'm not looking for a blueprint to success or for someone to say "go this way!". I've been reading this forum for the past year, daily, and know the comments that would ensue from such a question.

Any who has been where I'm at and has gotten where I want to be, please chime in. How did you reconstruct your thinking and life to get going in the right direction?

I can't get where I want to be if I don't have a settled goal......

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kyle Tully

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
362%
Jul 13, 2014
Sydney, Australia
I have bounced from idea to the next in search of a business idea that could yield great returns and bring about fulfillment.

I can't get where I want to be if I don't have a settled goal......

That kinda sums it up.

You know you need a clear goal, but you don't have one.

What does fulfilment mean to you? What are "great" returns? What do you enjoy doing?

Purely following a passion might not be a great idea, but at least being clear on who you are and what your strengths are can point you in the right direction for finding problems to solve.

G

GuestUser156

Start carrying a pen and paper, and write down 10 business ideas everyday, no matter how stupid they may sound. Ideas are everywhere, so keep your eyes open. Look for problems, that can be solved. Then pick something, and do it. Take one step at a time.

Last edited by a moderator:

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I recently sold my soul to a job as a Project Manager and it is the worst thing ever. My first time ever working for the man as I have worked for my father's company and spent time in the military, which is totally different than working for the "man". This job is DRAINING the life out of me and sucking my enthusiasm in large amounts daily as it brings about zero fulfillment. Oh and fighting traffic for an hour is awesome!

I took this job with the intent of receiving "paid" training, create the needed contacts then to create my own business in this industry. The further I get into to this, I realize that it sucks and I have zero interest in it. This seems to be the common theme for my life over the years; finding something, spending months in it then realizing I have no interest or desire to go any further with it. Then I jump to something else. I need to find something and commit my life to it. I'm just wasting valuable time and getting nowhere doing this.

But you are sticking to it because someone is making you. You can go through all that shit for someone else but you cannot do it for yourself? It just takes discipline. You need to treat your business ventures as a you treat your job.

Last edited:

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Kyle hit it on the head.

What are your goals? Write em down.

LibertyForMe

Habits pave the path to success.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Feb 5, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
But you are sticky to it because someone is making you. You can go through all that shit for someone else but you cannot do it for yourself? It just takes discipline. You need to treat your business ventures as a you treat your job.

Brilliant. This is exactly right. This is something that I have struggled with for a long time. I am currently doing Victor Pride's "30 Days of Discipline". A guy on the forum told me about it, and I am doing it with another guy on the forum so we can keep each other on track.

I think discipline is something you have to practice. You have to start things and follow through with them, even if they are small things. This will help you change your mindset from "I never finish anything, what is wrong with me?!?" to "I am disciplined and finish stuff."

I am definitely not even close to being as disciplined as I want, but I know it is a problem and I am working hard on solving it.

Good luck.

bmlyon

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Dec 10, 2013
Wrightsville Beach NC
I know all about some discipline; I went through basic training. That was one of the main reasons I joined.

What does fulfilment mean to you? What are "great" returns? What do you enjoy doing?
Fulfillment to me means to accomplish something great. To be proud of my work. To forge my own way.

The thing is, I can't decide on one thing to follow through with; my mind floats from one thing to the next. I'm trying to figure that part out. Once I do that the rest is history.

How do I isolate a clearly defined goal?

Josh from SD

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Sep 2, 2014
San Diego, CA
Here's some great impact filters I got from Dan Sullivan that you may find useful:

What do I want to accomplish?
What’s the difference it will make?
What’s the worst result if I don’t take action?
What’s the best result if I do take action?
What’s the success criteria?

Pick a path and enjoy the journey. Chances are what you started with, won't be what you finish with. For example - I started with a website marketing company. Now I'm an author in a niche I never knew existed. Go figure - but the journey has been fantastic and it plays to my strengths and passions.

garysvpa

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Jul 23, 2014
I'm having the same question. Thanks for the answers, I learned a lot reading this thread

bmlyon

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Dec 10, 2013
Wrightsville Beach NC
A prime example of this; I want to own apartments, something I'd enjoy, or own multiple gas stations but it seems the barrier to entry is so high. It would take loads of cash to get the ball rolling with this. If that's where I want to steer myself, I'm led to my next question, how to get the cash to do jump into the aforementioned industries. Essentially I need to start a business to bootstrap myself to that level but where to begin?

Then I start asking myself, is this really something I commit to? The same can be said for the other ideas I've had in the past. I'll tell myself its not worth it, look for something else. Second guessing myself is an issue.

Kingmaker

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Jan 26, 2013
San Diego
I'm 25 and time is zipping by and I feel if I don't find my path soon..... well I'm not sure what I'm going to do.
For every rockstar entrepreneur who "started multiple companies by the age of 18 and sold them for millions 3 years later" there are a lot more of those who didn't find their path well into their late 20s and beyond, after going through 5+ failures of actual businesses they started. So don't think you're wasting your life at 25 - you are going through a process of eliminating the choices that aren't meant for you. Keep trying different things and be open to new life experiences and new people, you never know where you're going to get that light bulb moment from.
Basically how in the hell do I find what I'm looking for and stick to it?
You mentioned bouncing from idea to idea, but have you started an actual business? Something that you put a lot of your money into, and lost. Because that shit burns like hell. And you call that a failure, instead of inability to stick to something. But you simply get back up, try something else, fail better, until success.

Lakeview

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 5, 2013
Texas
Fulfillment to me means to accomplish something great. To be proud of my work. To forge my own way.
The thing is, I can't decide on one thing to follow through with; my mind floats from one thing to the next. I'm trying to figure that part out. Once I do that the rest is history.
How do I isolate a clearly defined goal?

@Kyle Tully is on target but your response leaves me the impression that in your mind, you are starting at the end (creating wealth) and working it backwards to creating an idea. I'm not clear on what your motivation is, wealth or feeling of accomplishment. I assume your goal is both. See if this helps your thought process:
  • During your life, even as a child, what did you do that gave you enjoyment? Chances are you did this often, even migrated to it, to seek the rewarding feeling. (Ex: did you like playing with money, doing things that created enjoyment for others, tried to bring attention to yourself..... why do you think you did these activities?)
  • You are looking for some self fulfilling accomplishment, which is fine but remember it's not necessarily all about you. Try digging deeper, what would it mean to others to have your product or service available and in the end become something great.
Find your "WHY" which is more about your contribution to others.

I understand that following your passion will not make you wealthy but is it possible to find something I halfway enjoy doing or something I can stand to put large amounts of effort into to create a successful life?

I don't believe this to be etched in stone as there are many of wealthy people who followed their passion. I think the point is that you should not just limit yourself to what you love to do but instead consider why you love to do it.

Dig deeper my friend!!!

themaxx

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
May 14, 2014
London, UK
Start carrying a pen and paper, and write down 10 business ideas everyday, no matter how stupid they may sound. Ideas are everywhere, so keep your eyes open. Look for problems, that can be solved. Then pick something, and do it. Take one step at a time.
Yes!!!! Exercise your idea muscle!!!
http://www.jamesaltucher.com/2014/05/the-ultimate-guide-for-becoming-an-idea-machine/

CreateLiving

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 27, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I use google keep on my phone and tablet to come the fresh ideas coming and keep me motivated!

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
A prime example of this; I want to own apartments, something I'd enjoy, or own multiple gas stations but it seems the barrier to entry is so high. It would take loads of cash to get the ball rolling with this. If that's where I want to steer myself, I'm led to my next question, how to get the cash to do jump into the aforementioned industries. Essentially I need to start a business to bootstrap myself to that level but where to begin?

Then I start asking myself, is this really something I commit to? The same can be said for the other ideas I've had in the past. I'll tell myself its not worth it, look for something else. Second guessing myself is an issue.

This would be easy if you really wanted to own apartments. How do you know you would enjoy it? How do you get the cash to own your own apartment? Easy, you can get a job and save for a downpayment. Then buy a duplex, then trade up to a 4-plex, then a 10, 20 eventually a 50 and 100 unit.

Here's your problem. You don't want a duplex or a 4-plex. You don't even want to work for the downpayment to get one. You just magically want an apartment building.

What makes you think that you can manage an apartment without evening managing a single tenant? Surely you could go out an buy a rental SFH or condo right now if you wanted to.

CreateLiving

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 27, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
This would be easy if you really wanted to own apartments. How do you know you would enjoy it? How do you get the cash to own your own apartment? Easy, you can get a job and save for a downpayment. Then buy a duplex, then trade up to a 4-plex, then a 10, 20 eventually a 50 and 100 unit.

Here's your problem. You don't want a duplex or a 4-plex. You don't even want to work for the downpayment to get one. You just magically want an apartment building.

What makes you think that you can manage an apartment without evening managing a single tenant? Surely you could go out an buy a rental SFH or condo right now if you wanted to.
Some of the truest words ever spoken.

bmlyon

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Dec 10, 2013
Wrightsville Beach NC

Unfortunately you have hit the nail on the head. I haven't heard someone tell me this in years. Part of my problem is I want an avenue to exceed straight up not over many years. I've always put pressure on myself to become successful as fast as possible, at young age, and believe this has led me in circles chasing my tail. Your right, I don't want to deal with a duplex, I want to step into a 50 unit with an investor. This is something I need to figure out how to get around. Maybe I fear it will take years, 10 plus to get to the 100 unit....

I think that is what is causing me to jump ship on ideas, as the process takes years to complete, or I simply have no interest in them. Don't know. That is why I am here, consulting people who get it.

CKoski90

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Feb 17, 2012
I am in the same boat as you brother.

I'm currently in school trying to finish up my bachelors degree and I sort of gave myself an ultimatum of if I don't have some sort of business generating a decent sum of income (10kish at least) by the time I graduate, then I'll make myself get a job.

The problem with this is I start an idea, realize it's going to take way more time than I originally thought, and then I want to switch to something else.

For example I thought Id create some niche sites that target keywords and make money off of ads or affiliate sales, except those live or die by traffic, and I have no knowledge of SEO. Not only that, but successful SEO campaigns take months to show progress, IF what I'm doing even works. I think the part the scares me off is the uncertainty of if my time spent learning SEO will pay off on the end

I too feel like buying rental properties would be way more fun and fulfilling, but like you I can't afford anything around here. Not only that, but if I do have the money saved up for a down payment, I can't even get a loan without an adequate proof of income.

I even feel like creating an actual product would be an amazing experience. Forging something from my own thoughts and seeing people thrilled to buy it and using it to solve a problem. But I don't have nearly enough money to actually get into the manufacturing process.

So here I am, thinking about giving up on an affiliate website I've been creating content for for months now, thinking of what I can try next. I get little spurts of inspiration here and there, but lately it's all been doubt. I'm not excited to get out of bed in the morning to write content, even though it's on a topic I LOVE.

Basically you aren't alone, and I'm sure I'm not the only other one here in this scenario.

LibertyForMe

Habits pave the path to success.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Feb 5, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
I've decided that the next business I work on, I am going to stick with it for an entire year. I too think things will just fall into my lap, but I know that is a ridiculous, false belief. Instead of quitting next time when things get hard, I am just going to keep grinding it out. I think this will help me get more discipline to keep going when things get tough, and I think it will really teach me how important it is to just keep going. I haven't done it yet, but I would recommend a similar plan of action for you - it seems to make sense.

G

Guest24480

"One of my favorite examples: Richard Branson didn’t like the service on some airline he was flying. So he had an idea: I’m going to start a new airline. How the heck can a magazine publisher start an airline from scratch with no money?

His first step. He called Boeing to see if they had an airplane he could lease."

I like this example a lot. It goes to show that you need to focus on what's right in front of you rather than being 1000 steps ahead and running in circles chasing your own tail.

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
Your right, I don't want to deal with a duplex, I want to step into a 50 unit with an investor. This is something I need to figure out how to get around.
Think of it this way-would you want to work for a company where the CEO had never managed people before? Would you want to live in an apartment building managed by someone with no experience? Would you, as an investor, give money to someone with little-to-no track record-would you go "I worked hard for my money...I think I'll let this dude over here learn on the job with my cash"? Of course not.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.