The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Finally quit my job!

Anything related to matters of the mind

VisionNN

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
316%
Mar 6, 2016
I posted this INTRO - Turned 22, HAVE to make a change! on June 10, 2016.

July 22nd, 2019 was the last day at my job and at 25 i took my business full time. These last 3 years were nothing but a grind figuring out what i wanted to do and how i wanted to do it. I started 3 businesses during this time, two of them didn't work out and the 3rd one was a complete grind for two years before i could finally quit my job.

Every single day i focused on my business including weekends, holidays, evenings, you name it. I would finish work 9-5 and begin working on my business the moment i got on the train until i went to bed at 1am. I would take calls secretly in the lobby at work, hide business work behind excel windows on my desktop, and use my lunch time to respond to suppliers and customer issues. I was constantly in stress due to the hiding and secrecy and i was probably the most bland person in the office when i couldn't even explain what i did over the weekend. I would just answer video games or watch movies because honestly all i ever did was work on my business. I wanted to make this work more than anything i've ever wanted in my life.

It finally got to a point where i couldn't focus on expanding because there was so much to do at work and in my business. That's when i realized it might be time to let one of these tasks go and it definitely wasn't going to be my baby. I handed in my resignation with a smile while having huge anxiety realizing that there wasn't going to be a steady pay cheque anymore.

I haven't "made it" yet but for once i feel like i'm on the right path and no longer feel like i'm doing meaningless work. I finally have my own small warehouse and will be looking to open a second warehouse in the US come 2020.

I wanted to post this for that person who's going through a rough time. Its possible, there's a light at the end of the tunnel, you just have to keep at it. You have to want it more than anything else you've wanted in this life. I know how tough it is and how mentally draining it can be when things don't work out. I still have bad days but always focus on the future and what it could become if i put in the work. Thats what keeps me going.

I dont post often but really wanted to share this with someone. For once i feel like i'm doing something right.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vadim26

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
Nov 23, 2018
Vancouver, BC.
Congrats man, I will be following your progress along the way.

I am steps behind you, but slowly getting there.

Looks like you have found a good product to sell through FBA, judging from your previous posts.

Have you skewed value through engineering better improvements or was it minor things (brand, better photos / copy etc)?

gryfny

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jun 11, 2019
Europe
Congratulations! I'm reading your post on the 3rd business now, very interesting.

ZeroTo100

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Feb 2, 2016
New York City / New Jersey
Tell us about your failures. What types of businesses were they? What did you do wrong?

What worked in your business now that you weren’t doing in your failed businesses?

arl

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 16, 2019
Congrats! That hard work is starting to pay off.

VisionNN

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
316%
Mar 6, 2016
Congrats man, I will be following your progress along the way.

I am steps behind you, but slowly getting there.

Looks like you have found a good product to sell through FBA, judging from your previous posts.

Have you skewed value through engineering better improvements or was it minor things (brand, better photos / copy etc)?

Thanks man, i actually changed my business model and went wholesale from private label. My business really took off then. Private label worked but i wasn't enjoying what i was doing with it. My copy was good, images were good, but i just didnt enjoy the business model as much.

That being said, i've learned a lot through private label and wholesale so i dont see either being a waste. I'll probably be relaunching private label again in 2020/2021 but i have a completely different approach to how it will be manufactured and what the items will be.

Congratulations! I'm reading your post on the 3rd business now, very interesting.

Thank you, i completely forgot i even had that execution thread. I guess its a good sign i've been quite busy for the last year and a half of that post.

Tell us about your failures. What types of businesses were they? What did you do wrong?

What worked in your business now that you weren’t doing in your failed businesses?

I have a small execution thread where i go into some detail regarding my early businesses EXECUTION - My 3rd attempt at creating a business. Finally have some sales.

I haven't update it since Jan 2018 but it might answer some of your first questions.

What worked now was i pivoted my business and went for products customers actually wanted instead of being a "me too" product. Private label can be great but a lot of it is a copy of each other which ends up being a feeding ground for scraps.

I now work with various brands directly and large distributors. It took a lot of perseverance, networking, and trade shows to get these accounts and be one of the only retailers for said products.

Congrats! That hard work is starting to pay off.

Thank you man, the light in this dark place is finally starting to show

Agnes

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Aug 3, 2019

July 22nd, 2019 was the last day at my job and at 25 i took my business full time. These last 3 years were nothing but a grind figuring out what i wanted to do and how i wanted to do it. I started 3 businesses during this time, two of them didn't work out and the 3rd one was a complete grind for two years before i could finally quit my job.

Every single day i focused on my business including weekends, holidays, evenings, you name it. I would finish work 9-5 and begin working on my business the moment i got on the train until i went to bed at 1am. I would take calls secretly in the lobby at work, hide business work behind excel windows on my desktop, and use my lunch time to respond to suppliers and customer issues. I was constantly in stress due to the hiding and secrecy and i was probably the most bland person in the office when i couldn't even explain what i did over the weekend. I would just answer video games or watch movies because honestly all i ever did was work on my business. I wanted to make this work more than anything i've ever wanted in my life.

It finally got to a point where i couldn't focus on expanding because there was so much to do at work and in my business. That's when i realized it might be time to let one of these tasks go and it definitely wasn't going to be my baby. I handed in my resignation with a smile while having huge anxiety realizing that there wasn't going to be a steady pay cheque anymore.

I haven't "made it" yet but for once i feel like i'm on the right path and no longer feel like i'm doing meaningless work. I finally have my own small warehouse and will be looking to open a second warehouse in the US come 2020.

I wanted to post this for that person who's going through a rough time. Its possible, there's a light at the end of the tunnel, you just have to keep at it. You have to want it more than anything else you've wanted in this life. I know how tough it is and how mentally draining it can be when things don't work out. I still have bad days but always focus on the future and what it could become if i put in the work. Thats what keeps me going.

I dont post often but really wanted to share this with someone. For once i feel like i'm doing something right.

I like your story!! Fingers crossed!

Champion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 12, 2019
Hamburg, Germany
Inspiring story.

You're making me feel like I quit my job too early now lol! Lets see.

Deffinetly gonna keep following this thread.

Best,
Champion

ChiEntrepreneur

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Jul 21, 2019
Love your description of working on your business while at a 9-5. You're constantly thinking about your business and trying to find ways to work on it. Congrats on the hard work and perseverance in what I assume was a slowlane, non-entrepreneurial environment.

VisionNN

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
316%
Mar 6, 2016
Inspiring story.

You're making me feel like I quit my job too early now lol! Lets see.

Deffinetly gonna keep following this thread.

Best,
Champion

Haha, at what point did you decide to quit your job? It was stressful juggling both ends but i figured i can't jump ship from my job to something that hasn't been proven yet. I worked until the profit and sales made sense and until i felt i hit a ceiling in in terms of expansion.

Awesome work, what was the best material on learning wholesale?

I dont know how helpful this will sound but honestly a lot of googling and just doing trial and error until something started working. I know that might sound vague but there's no single thing that i went "aha!, i found the magic key".

It was just scraping the internet for info until all that info put together started painting a picture. I'd say before jumping head first, learn the Amazon eco system. I learned this through my private label products but you can learn it through private label, wholesale, OA/RA, etc. I'd say your first education should be about how Amazon works, how to read ranks, charts, fees, listings, etc.

Dont let analysis paralyze you though. The best way to learn is by doing, not just by reading. Just jump in on some product and see what happens. My first investment was about 1 to 2k.

Love your description of working on your business while at a 9-5. You're constantly thinking about your business and trying to find ways to work on it. Congrats on the hard work and perseverance in what I assume was a slowlane, non-entrepreneurial environment.

I felt that working on my business was the only thing that kept me sane. Sitting in what i found pointless meetings about things i just did not care about sucked my soul. Pretending to care about projects, work events, and being "happy" for a 2% raise was just killing me.

I didnt exactly drink the kool-aid at work and it showed in my relationships. No one disliked me per say but i wasn't exactly friends with everyone either. It was definitely difficult to keep motivated when everyone you see lives the 9-5 life while you're desperately trying to get off the hamster wheel.

Champion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 12, 2019
Hamburg, Germany
Haha, at what point did you decide to quit your job? It was stressful juggling both ends but i figured i can't jump ship from my job to something that hasn't been proven yet. I worked until the profit and sales made sense and until i felt i hit a ceiling in in terms of expansion.

I dont know how helpful this will sound but honestly a lot of googling and just doing trial and error until something started working. I know that might sound vague but there's no single thing that i went "aha!, i found the magic key".

It was just scraping the internet for info until all that info put together started painting a picture. I'd say before jumping head first, learn the Amazon eco system. I learned this through my private label products but you can learn it through private label, wholesale, OA/RA, etc. I'd say your first education should be about how Amazon works, how to read ranks, charts, fees, listings, etc.

Dont let analysis paralyze you though. The best way to learn is by doing, not just by reading. Just jump in on some product and see what happens. My first investment was about 1 to 2k.

I felt that working on my business was the only thing that kept me sane. Sitting in what i found pointless meetings about things i just did not care about sucked my soul. Pretending to care about projects, work events, and being "happy" for a 2% raise was just killing me.

I didnt exactly drink the kool-aid at work and it showed in my relationships. No one disliked me per say but i wasn't exactly friends with everyone either. It was definitely difficult to keep motivated when everyone you see lives the 9-5 life while you're desperately trying to get off the hamster wheel.

I've quit my job and now only have 4 months left until no more salary flows.

My business: Havent made a single sale yet, but MVP is ready and im launching the product in 2-3 weeks.

Lets see!

VisionNN

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
316%
Mar 6, 2016

My business: Havent made a single sale yet, but MVP is ready and im launching the product in 2-3 weeks.

Lets see!

Bold move, best of luck with it man

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen

Lets see!
Brave move. Best wishes for success.

Walter

AbhiRaj

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Feb 23, 2019

Your post is very touchy and inspirational. your want about your business can be felt from your post. And any 9-5 employee can feel this post.
I want say big Good luck to you!

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
Congratulations! Now that you have time to run your business during the day and actually sleep at night, I bet you'll find lots of ways to grow. Keep at it!

VisionNN

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
316%
Mar 6, 2016
Sorry for getting on these replies quite late. Been a busy time prepping for Q4.

Congratulations! Now that you have time to run your business during the day and actually sleep at night, I bet you'll find lots of ways to grow. Keep at it!

Thank you. I probably work the same amount as I did before but now i have double the time to spend on my business and it's all my mind thinks about. Its like living in a bubble of constant creativity,

Congratulations. You'll see that life is so different when you work for yourself!

It is completely different. I used to feel guilty any time i relaxed a bit on the weekend or weekday evening because that was my only time to work on the business. Now, I work on it every day but never feel that rat race feel. I just work, expand, grow, all while feeling like I'm not constantly on the clock. I still have the hustle and sense of building something great but I dont feel the anxiety of limited time. I dont know if that makes sense.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.