The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Finally Launched E-book & Website! Feedback will be greatly appreciated

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Hong King Kong

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Sep 29, 2012
Everywhere
There is definitely ALOT I need to work on... even the blog format is bad in my own opinion. worst case secenario I'll give out the ebook for free to build a list... and start a community.

Definitely need to tweak my site tho, its crap compared to any of those nerdfitness or fitocracy. BUT, the good thing is those guys been around for a long a$$ time, it took em a while to there... I just started, so I just gotta keep plowing through. will keep you guys updated.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

jljtech

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Jun 12, 2012
Florida
You took ACTION! Bravo! :eusa_clap: You did what many don't.

Now just assess the needs/demand of your niche and pivot if you have to. Just make sure you are offering something that differentiates you from the competition.

Oh....I almost forgot.....Don't quit!

TheTruth

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Feb 13, 2012
Toronto/Scottsdale
Thanks again for the help, this is most definitely a competitive market. I keep having second thoughts about being in this niche the past few days...so close to just giving up and finding a different niche.

But I know that is the easy way out, Ill give it more time before I call it quits and move on. I'll keep you guys updated.

Why would you be having second thoughts?

My point is that you haven't even tested the market and you are talking about quitting? It shouldn't even be a thought.

You are asking us to take our time and help you for free. We gladly do, but these type of sentences don't motivate anyone.

I don't say that to be negative, but it's in your best interest to train your mind not to think like that.

Don't give up HKK, you've already done the hard work of getting this far. Make sure you're differentiating yourself from the competition. You don't really know how that nerdfitness website is doing. I'm a gamer and I've never heard of it, so the market is far from saturated man!

Of course he shouldn't give up but it's not too hard to tell how a site is doing by looking at some numbers. In fact, it is a good thing for him if it is doing well... why?

- it proves there is a market (most important imho)
- he can reach out to those people and get them to feature his product

lol, I am glad you represent the whole gaming market :b
There is definitely ALOT I need to work on... even the blog format is bad in my own opinion. worst case secenario I'll give out the ebook for free to build a list... and start a community.

Definitely need to tweak my site tho, its crap compared to any of those nerdfitness or fitocracy. BUT, the good thing is those guys been around for a long a$$ time, it took em a while to there... I just started, so I just gotta keep plowing through. will keep you guys updated.

Once again, you are over-thinking this way too much.

Forget the design- drive some traffic and build some relationships.

You can always change the design, but gain traction/feedback. Get to know people who can get you both. Be in the places that can get you both.

You created a product, but didn't have a plan for it. This is why you are having all these problems.

Hong King Kong

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Sep 29, 2012
Everywhere
Yea the past few days my mind has not been in the right place for sure, to be honest this speed bump really killed my motivation... I even went out the past couple nights to the bars to get outside my head. But this whole day I've been reading Napoleon Hill's "Think and Grow Rich"... definitely gave me reassurance that this process happens to everybody who wants to reach success... I definitely gotta get my head out my a$$ and get back on track, all this positive feedback from the forum helps alot too! Thanks everyone.

Samuli

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 29, 2012
You have very little to lose with the website business hence keep going and don't despair. Have you tried everything? I doubt.

I have been on Fitocracy since it was in beta and nowadays it is pretty big imo. The market is aimed for fitness gamers but the whole product is very different to yours. Sure fitocracy motivates you to exercise by earning levels & completing quests but it doesn't really show how it is done that well - this is where your product could do better. But like I said, the market is the same => join fitocracy(and other gamer fitness sites as well) and makes tons of friends there. Follow everyone and 50% will follow you. Join the forums and give great content + promote your product(maybe not directly though). There are already tons of personal trainer's and fitness gurus doing this. Contact the owners of Fitocracy. Try to get yourself as a weekly fitness success story there.

Also, fitocracy is not one of a kind, I have seen 2-3+ gamer fitness websites with the exactly same concept. I don't remember the names though.

Moneymadness

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Jan 15, 2012
Bay Area, CA
You have come this far, so please don't give up! I could do the same with my site, but that's where the weak is weeded out. You can some of these ideas, which I'm sure some are already mentioned.

You can be active on forums, build connections, provide free value, make you tube videos.

You can also do some kind of FREE video or book if they send in their email, they can be potential customer for the long road.

Have you tried using social media? Twitter, Facebook, etc? Getting a like from anyone will instantly expose your website on their feed to their friends and their friend and their friends. You get the idea.

I will be keeping tabs with your site, just don't give up, man. If you try another niche, I can almost guarantee you will have to deal with this problem again.

Hong King Kong

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Sep 29, 2012
Everywhere
Well, so far I have realized my sales page is crap. I'm reading on a copywriting book and it turns out I've made alot of fatal errors, I Need to change it before I even put the ebook on sale.... This is what happens when you cheap out and try to do everything yourself.

Russell

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Feb 3, 2012
Cambridge, UK
Hey HKK, lots of excellent posts here. My only question, do gamers spend money on information? I'd guess it's the hardest demographic to sell an ebook to?

Something you might want to check out: Why gamers are a great fit at the gym - CNN.com

Geek/Gamer fitness is becoming a BIG thing, it's a good choice of market and they've got the spare cash, just not convinced info products is the way to go. A branded fitness eStore might be a good call.

Good luck.

TheTruth

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Feb 13, 2012
Toronto/Scottsdale
Well, so far I have realized my sales page is crap. I'm reading on a copywriting book and it turns out I've made alot of fatal errors, I Need to change it before I even put the ebook on sale.... This is what happens when you cheap out and try to do everything yourself.

Is the problem that you did everything yourself or is it that you put out a product and hoped for sales?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with doing everything yourself, but the fact that you:

a) made the product without any knowledge in copywriting

b) didn't have a plan of action to drive people to your sales page

c) even after taking advice from people on the forum, you almost gave up and wanted to move on (within 1 week of product launch)

Makes people question what your motives were. Did you really want to help gamers get fit? did you talk to any? did you help any? ... or were you chasing the money?

Look, the fact that you made a product is great. Lots of people don't even get that far. However, you haven't experienced true process yet.

Make a plan, have a list and do one thing at a time. As the items are crossed of one at a time, you will wake up one day and see results.

KevMoDee

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Apr 13, 2010
Scottsdale, AZ
TheTruth makes some very good points.

Your target demo may very well be obsessive / compulsive, but they may not want to make the transition over to body building.

If I had your product, I would probably get it loaded up to ClickBank and see what kind of response you get.

An important lesson that took me a long time to realize is give your ideas enough time and energy to see if it will work, but do your best to not throw good money after bad. If it's a loser, it's a loser and you should move on. But each failed venture that you have gives you invaluable experience that makes your next venture that much easier.

Good luck, and I really dig your idea. Just don't know how well it will convert.

Z5 FILMS

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 13, 2007
The Woodlands, TX
Ditch ALL potty mouth words. Even simply words like "crap" tells me it's an amateur site make by someone really young. Even worse is "STFU".

Ali

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
May 10, 2012
Oman
You don't seem to be getting enough traffic?
Have you considered any optimization plan?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.