The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Fighting for my freedom

Edwin Fernandez

Freedom
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Feb 7, 2018
Hello everyone,

I am very thankful this forum exists. After reading Fast Lane I came here to find like minded people; people who understand when I say I would rather die than work my 9-5 cubicle(jail cell) the rest of my life.

The pain of limited freedom, like not being able to spend time with my children because I am stuck in a cubicle, finally exceeded the pain of building something on my own in my limited time aside from work/family/responsibilities...

I have pursued entrepreneurial ideas for a few years but nothing ever took off probably due to my lack of consistency, poor choices, bad influence from friends, the usual list of excuses....

But this time things are different because my children are reminding me how quickly life is passing and that I do not have the time to f*** around. If I don't take action now I will settle for massive regret in the future. I have been taking massive action, and that led me here, to this great forum.

About me: I am a full time SW Engineer, stuck in the grind of 9-5, buried in student loan debt. The guy that sits in the cube next to me is a 63 years old engineer still forced to work, he has told me, probably due to poor money management choices. Nothing against him, but I will NOT be that guy. He wants to leave but he cannot. That is slavery. My number one goal is to gain my freedom by dropping the JOB. I hope to be a shining example of MJ's philosophy. (@MJ DeMarco)

With much respect to everyone here,
Edwin

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

MrShah

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Jul 10, 2014
Hi Edwin,

I'm an Engineer as well. But chose to be a sales executive in a real estate firm because I know sales in my calling.I used to be the richest kid in the once-a-year fete in school by selling PC games.I have an Engineering degree, but that's just a matter of pride and does nothing else. It does not give me instant $$$. I'm learning things and that's really important for someone in the early 20's. You've come a long way now. Try connecting with like minded people around here who have retired early. They might have some interesting experiences to share and some you could relate with.

Edwin Fernandez

Freedom
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Feb 7, 2018
Hi Edwin,

I'm an Engineer as well. But chose to be a sales executive in a real estate firm because I know sales in my calling.I used to be the richest kid in the once-a-year fete in school by selling PC games.I have an Engineering degree, but that's just a matter of pride and does nothing else. It does not give me instant $$$. I'm learning things and that's really important for someone in the early 20's. You've come a long way now. Try connecting with like minded people around here who have retired early. They might have some interesting experiences to share and some you could relate with.

Thanks for your input. I have a bit of a sales background too, cold calling, door-to-door stuff. Whatever it takes I guess... I don't write code because I enjoy it though, I chose the field because I was just following the money, or at least I thought so...However, I am fortunate I chose this field because at least I can use the skill as an asset to help me switch lanes.

I will definitely follow the early retirees. I am just getting oriented around this forum, there is so much content, wow. I feel my chances of joining them have increased significantly now that I am a member here. Good luck on your trip to the promised land.

NateTheGreat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Aug 25, 2016
Welcome to the forum! I'm another Engineer by career on here. You're definitely in the right place. Take a look at the GOLD and NOTABLE threads as you'll be sure to find a goldmine in those.

Learning as much as you can day-by-day while working that 9-5 is a good start. But execution and doing is the biggest hurdle. You don't have to know everything before starting a business. I remind myself of that often as I am still in the learning process.

Reach out if you ever need anything!

Edwin Fernandez

Freedom
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Feb 7, 2018
Welcome to the forum! I'm another Engineer by career on here. You're definitely in the right place. Take a look at the GOLD and NOTABLE threads as you'll be sure to find a goldmine in those.

Learning as much as you can day-by-day while working that 9-5 is a good start. But execution and doing is the biggest hurdle. You don't have to know everything before starting a business. I remind myself of that often as I am still in the learning process.

Reach out if you ever need anything!

Wow thanks for the encouragement, so thankful I landed here. What's up with all this love bombing, is this some kind of cult I joined? Just kidding! But, seriously, thank you for the tip on which threads to start with first.

True nothing changes until I start doing, as I progress I will definitely reach out for help. Thanks Nate.

OMDA

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Dec 21, 2017
FL
Best of luck, from someone in a similar profession.

It's easy to look around the cubicle farms and see exactly what you don't want, like you already mentioned.

Use such things as fuel for your personal fire to get moving in the right direction. Just like you, I look around and I see no one above me who has a lifestyle that I would touch with a 10 foot pole. Even in a good paying job that other people would love to get a crack at. I also think of my father, who worked hard to the detriment of his health and social skills. Now the majority of his conversations is politics or how bad work has been for the past few decades. I wish I could help him.

Try what you can and fail or succeed quickly. If you fail, keep trying. Don't be like I initially did and sink multiple months in obscure side projects with zero feedback that have no audience and you'll already be a step ahead.

You're already fantastically lucky by finding your way here. There is an amazing wealth of knowledge within these pages.

Edwin Fernandez

Freedom
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Feb 7, 2018
Best of luck, from someone in a similar profession.

It's easy to look around the cubicle farms and see exactly what you don't want, like you already mentioned.

Use such things as fuel for your personal fire to get moving in the right direction. Just like you, I look around and I see no one above me who has a lifestyle that I would touch with a 10 foot pole. Even in a good paying job that other people would love to get a crack at. I also think of my father, who worked hard to the detriment of his health and social skills. Now the majority of his conversations is politics or how bad work has been for the past few decades. I wish I could help him.

Try what you can and fail or succeed quickly. If you fail, keep trying. Don't be like I initially did and sink multiple months in obscure side projects with zero feedback that have no audience and you'll already be a step ahead.

You're already fantastically lucky by finding your way here. There is an amazing wealth of knowledge within these pages.

Thanks OMDA, sincerely. Dude I completely relate to your comments. I am all set with the lofty slave or slave-master corporate jobs.

I especially relate to your confession of sinking multiple months into futile side projects, been there a few times. (e.g. Spending months at night writing a scraper to automate creation of a slideshow video using ffmpeg that uploads nightly to youtube, that no one f****** watches or cares about. Sadly. :)

Yeah I am very selective with my time devoted to projects now more so than ever.

So glad to communicate with sane, "non-normal" people. Best of luck to you too.

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
I hope to be a shining example of MJ's philosophy. (@MJ DeMarco)

With much respect to everyone here,
Edwin

you will know that you are a the right path when you encounter the opposition of mediocre minds.

if nobody criticizes you then you are probably still in the matrix of slavery.

the key here is " violent opposition of mediocre minds "

you will have to fight

intelligence has always been forced to fight his way through stupidity

always

einstein.jpg

Edwin Fernandez

Freedom
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Feb 7, 2018
you will know that you are a the right path when you encounter the opposition of mediocre minds.

if nobody criticizes you then you are probably still in the matrix of slavery.

the key here is " violent opposition of mediocre minds "

you will have to fight

intelligence has always been forced to fight his way through stupidity

always

View attachment 17743

Thanks for the inspiration GMSI7D, I must be on the right track because a few people close to me think I am delusional and naive when I express my desire to change my stars. So now I just keep it to myself, and use it as fuel. Thanks dude.

Edwin Fernandez

Freedom
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Feb 7, 2018
Just a few days since I landed here, I am amazed at the amount of practical wisdom in the Gold threads, there is so much...As I read I am receiving b***h slaps to my face reminding me to not think me, think how can I help others...So grateful for these resources. Thanks to everyone.

Fastlane Liam

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Feb 10, 2018
United Kingdom
Look around your workplace

What sucks?

Not the 2 week vacation a year and 8 hours of repetitive work...

I mean,

What process is slow and painful? Is there a part of the job everyone avoids?
Some software really bad? Or non existing?
Some backwards a$$ procedure you need to follow?

Find the problem, address the problem, build a solution to the problem... theres your first idea.

Edwin Fernandez

Freedom
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Feb 7, 2018
Look around your workplace

What sucks?

Not the 2 week vacation a year and 8 hours of repetitive work...

I mean,

What process is slow and painful? Is there a part of the job everyone avoids?
Some software really bad? Or non existing?
Some backwards a$$ procedure you need to follow?

Find the problem, address the problem, build a solution to the problem... theres your first idea.
Great ideas, thanks, you have my gears turning thinking about the many problem areas. I need to bridge the gap between fixing these problems for my employer and doing the same for my own potential clients.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...