The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Feeling that stock market is about to crash

Anything related to investing, including crypto

mom

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
May 9, 2016
Billionaires were made in 2008 going against the market. The question is how are YOU going to capitalize on a big downturn...
by firms trading billions....it's all relative.

Since 2008 they changed shorting rules.....retail find it very hard to short stocks now.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

nroudyk

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jun 6, 2019
Not intending to offend you, but I clicked this thread hoping there would be more quantatative analysis. A vague "feeling" and a quick glance at a chart is no way to time the market. There are people who do this successfully for a living but they have a lot more tools and knowledge at their disposal than you and I. They're also a very small minority, most of the pros CANNOT beat the stock market or time it correctly, this has been conclusively proven.

Simply depositing a part of your paycheck like clockwork is the way to go, but that is definitely slowlane. When you're 65 or your parents are 65, they MAY be able to retire in dignity.

Also, 36,000 really isn't a meaningful amount of money. It wont change your life if you live in a developed country. I would focus a lot more on building a viable business in line with the philosophy of this forum than trying to squeeze out a couple more % out of meagre retirement funds. When you're pulling like 10k a month, then it may make sense to manage your investments, but you have to get some money to invest first.

mikey3times

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Jun 21, 2013
Massachusetts
On Sep 18, 2015 (the day before this thread started) the S&P 500 closed at $1,958.03.

Yesterday (7/10/19) the S&P 500 closed at $2,993.07.

Someone smarter than me can compare historical bond prices, but even if the bonds outperformed the S&P, the market didn’t crash.

Don’t time the market and don’t make financial decisions based on, “I have a feeling.”

Disciple96

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Mar 5, 2016
USA
Wouldn't it be better to just HODL and invest even more when the markets are down instead of trying to beat the market?

I'm not an investor - this is just common investment advice I've heard.

SchenkFinancial

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 17, 2019
Germany
Imagine a classic bakery producing and selling bread. The baker running the bakery is certainly not afraid that tomorrow his business model will break down.

An investor buying good companies does not worry about short-term developments. If you had invested in good stocks the day before Lehman's collapse, today you would have substantial profits anyway.

You should not focus on "markets" but rather on companies; companies that hardly notice the ups and downs of short-term developments in their annual reports.

In terms of Trump, it is safe to say that he considers the development of the stock market as a benchmark for his success as president and as a consequence, he will probably do everything he can in order to make the stock market and the real economy develop favourably. In the United States, the stock market and the real economy are much closer to each other than our stock market and our real economy in Germany. In the US, the real economy and capital markets are much more synchronized through retirement fund systems and personal portfolios.

guy93777

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jun 5, 2019
Imagine a classic bakery producing and selling bread. The baker running the bakery is certainly not afraid that tomorrow his business model will break down.

An investor buying good companies does not worry about short-term developments. If you had invested in good stocks the day before Lehman's collapse, today you would have substantial profits anyway.

You should not focus on "markets" but rather on companies; companies that hardly notice the ups and downs of short-term developments in their annual reports.

In terms of Trump, it is safe to say that he considers the development of the stock market as a benchmark for his success as president and as a consequence, he will probably do everything he can in order to make the stock market and the real economy develop favourably. In the United States, the stock market and the real economy are much closer to each other than our stock market and our real economy in Germany. In the US, the real economy and capital markets are much more synchronized through retirement fund systems and personal portfolios.

most people think that this author is wrong . everything is fine forever until the end of the earth

maybe

i think that the worst financial crisis ever seen is coming because i have INSIDERS knowledge ( masterminds owning the world )

but i have to respect the mainstream ideas. so let's say everything is fine for ever

G

GuestU67047

Ha, thats ridiculous. Let me get my chicken bones and voodoo dolls out. Better yet, let me raise some biblical prophets from the grave and get some answers...

SchenkFinancial

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 17, 2019
Germany
most people think that this author is wrong . everything is fine forever until the end of the earth

View attachment 25886

maybe

i think that the worst financial crisis ever seen is coming because i have INSIDERS knowledge ( masterminds owning the world )

but i have to respect the mainstream ideas. so let's say everything is fine for ever

Thank you for your opinion. I also respect your point of view. Ultimately, however, the stock market is currently not in a phase of euphoria, like in 2000 or in 2007, when people were so heavily invested in stocks that the only possible outcome was a bear market. It is currently quite the opposite, actually. The predominant emotion in the stock market right now is caution, for which there are well-founded reasons.

Furthermore, if you take a look at the put-call ratio just before Black Monday in 1987, you can see that market participants were buying an enormous number of call options. This scenario is currently not the case, so there is room for optimism.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.