The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Feedback Request: Website Design

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009
Yup, I'm adding the hundredth feedback request to the forum this week. Sorry :smug2:

I can't quite tell if I like how this design looks. I have a bad habit of after working on a design, just tossing it because I think it sucks. Beginning to wonder if it's just because I've been looking at it so much that I end up just thinking that or if it's true. Like if you say a word a bunch of times it loses it's meaning, it that sense.

http://i.imgur.com/GA0Vs.png

Anyway I need to head out. Going to reserve my thoughts on it at the moment so I don't put certain ideas of into your head first. Also I (obviously) put in just filler material so you don't get distracted by actual content. Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Redshft

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Nov 5, 2007
Greenville, NC
To be honest, my first impression is I don't like it.

Go with your gut. Usually when I'm designing something, I'll leave the design up on my computer while I'm out for a little bit (lunch, running errands, etcs.). When I come back, I get a quick gut reaction if I like it or not.

Flatlander

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Dec 28, 2010
South Dakota
I don't really care for it. It looks too much like a template.

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009
To be honest, my first impression is I don't like it.

Go with your gut. Usually when I'm designing something, I'll leave the design up on my computer while I'm out for a little bit (lunch, running errands, etcs.). When I come back, I get a quick gut reaction if I like it or not.

Anything in particular that stuck out as particularly bad?

I don't really care for it. It looks too much like a template.

That's interesting to me. I didn't use, modify, or look at any designs while doing it, purely from just how I was imagining it. Guess I have an unconscious worked towards template like design? haha

Much like my question to Redshft - anything in particular that made you think that?

Thank you for your replies

Redshft

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Nov 5, 2007
Greenville, NC
Anything in particular that stuck out as particularly bad?

Yep, 'Yahoo' is spelled wrong. Lol, j/k. I don't know what it is exactly, but my first reaction was thinking it's something like a parked domain page, or even some type of government webpage.

Davidla

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
May 30, 2009
Colorado, U.S.A
Do you have a link to the actual website, or is it just the graphical design? It is a little weird for me to get a feeling about a picture..how the website shows in the browser triggers the feeling for me.

From what I can get: the menu buttons (portfolio, services, contact) feel a little bit disconected from the website (maybe tabs style?), and when I enlarge the picture to what seems like website size , using the menu requires scrolling up to navigate from the lower content. (not sure how different it would be in a broswer, and what is the standard resolution most people use).

Maybe something with the green color itches my eye aswell - but bare in mind that I am color blind :rofl:

Other than that I am feeling good with it - simple, presenting information in an organized way and not overwhelming with data.

If you could elaborate the use of the website it might help to give better feedback aswell.

P.S - I looked at it as a user, I dont know any web desigining theories.

skyhigh

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Nov 28, 2009
IMHO, the design is not fresh, stand out, attractive, clean and elegant. You used too many colors, try to focus on 2 or 3 colors for the design. I would suggest you try to google it and see how others are done. Check the link for reference elegantthemes/gallery/

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
can you make the transition from blue to green in the background a little bit more subtle, and see how it looks? It was too much of a contrast and distracted me from the main content area...

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009
Do you have a link to the actual website, or is it just the graphical design? It is a little weird for me to get a feeling about a picture..how the website shows in the browser triggers the feeling for me.

For now, I'm only creating it with more recent browsers in mind. So, posting an actual link would result in people complaining "but this doesn't look right on 'x'" and it's not worth my time explaining, or their time to post it doesn't look right on a certain browser.

Maybe something with the green color itches my eye aswell - but bare in mind that I am color blind :rofl:

Other than that I am feeling good with it - simple, presenting information in an organized way and not overwhelming with data.

If you could elaborate the use of the website it might help to give better feedback aswell.

Ha, I think about the problem with green for color blind people, but then I forgot to look up what it actually "does" for them. Any insight? :)

I was more or less just designing something someone could use for a portfolio or something. This was more of a task in getting better at design rather than use.

P.S - I looked at it as a user, I dont know any web desigining theories.

I don't know any web design theories either. Heck, not even color theory. I don't pride myself in that, but I just feel for any type of creative visual work reading too much causes less creativity. A little can help, but it's easy to fall into the trap of trying to learn everything, and become entrapped in a certain frame of mind..

IMHO, the design is not fresh, stand out, attractive, clean and elegant. You used too many colors, try to focus on 2 or 3 colors for the design. I would suggest you try to google it and see how others are done. Check the link for reference elegantthemes/gallery/

I was told elsewhere there were too many colors also. Guess it definitely is a problem. Thanks for the link! I've check some out this morning, and they are nice.

can you make the transition from blue to green in the background a little bit more subtle, and see how it looks? It was too much of a contrast and distracted me from the main content area...

Sadly, without thinking I was trying some changes with the stylesheet, and after not being able to come up with something that looked good I rewrote over it. :(

I'll be spending a little time over the next few days trying some new things. I may post something new here within that time.

Thanks again for the feedback everyone!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.