The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Favorite Life Hacks ~ What Are They?

JakeChhean

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Jan 6, 2014
Not sure if this counts as a hack, but hopefully it helps.

Remove one non-essential a day; albeit material junk, fruitless activities (TV, Video Games) and meaningless relationships.

This may result in more time, money, energy and clarity.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
While using your computer (which I'm assuming you're doing now), you can help yourself focus by visiting the following website and letting the sounds play in the background.

http://www.calm.com/

I've had a "PRO" subscription to the android app for a while now and I'm finally going to make guided meditation a habit.

Anyways, the website itself has peaceful / calming background sounds that you can play while on your computer. Right now I'm listening to water running, birds chirping, etc. while inside a building.

I really do notice that I'm more present and the ADD internet effect isn't being triggered. It's a good "life hack" that I thought I'd share. :)

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
its not hack... the only things that get my head straight and back to focus is good loud music and driving... I cant drive much anymore since the car accident but the music I will have forever!

Greg Bastin

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Feb 3, 2014
Michigan
Here are some easy actions that require minimal effort to deliver maximum results, “the low hanging fruit.”

It's not what most people think of: sugar, protein, calories, working out, or vegetables. It's about fixing the things that are broken right now!

Many people are deficient in one or many nutrients. Correcting the most common deficiencies shows immediate benefits.

1 - Correct omega 3 deficiencies (omega 3 fatty acids, grass fed beef, fish oil...)

2 - Balance gut bacteria (pre/probiotics, fermented foods...)

Rcaraway1989

Rob C
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
470%
Mar 16, 2011
Austin, TX
That person is me. I changed it a few days ago :D Why? PM
Can relate to that. My initial kick-in-the-a$$ motivation to get into entrepreneurism was to retire my parents (Even though my dad was a grade D father at best). It remains a huge motivation.

SeanKelly

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 8, 2012
Mini fridge.... saves me the 20 second trip to the kitchen

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
@ChasingPaper

LOL.

1) Get money.

2) Get deals.

3) Close deals.

4) Make phone calls.

5) Watch Boiler Room Scene.

6) Imagine myself closing deals.

7) Meditating on the sound of the money counter in the bank. Pffffffffttttttttttttt... Pffffffffffttttttttttttt.

8) Close deals.

9) Close deals.

10) Close extra deals.

11) Close some more deals, just in case.

12) Might as well close some more deals.

13) Take a nap.

14) Sleep good.

15) Eat good.

16) Workout hard.

17) Sprint.

18) Read only the most powerful books.

19) Listen to only the most powerful people.

20) Ignore haters.

21) Give the middle fingers to haters.

22) Yell "F*ck the haters" at the top of your lungs in the gym.

23) Close deals.

24) Basically, keep closing deals.

25) Hustle hard.

26) Hustle extra hard, 'cause you gotta get it.

27) Look at beach homes.

28) Look at yachts.

29) Watch Lambo videos.

30) Work.

31) Prepare agreements.

32) $ign agreements.

33) Plan all the way to the end.

34) Study Go.

35) Close deals every day, every day.

36) Repeat step 30, all day.

37) Take breaks to work out.

randomnumber314

speed of a drunk camel
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 7, 2014
Minnesoooota,USA
Go to the gym first thing in the morning, just do it. Work out HARD. I don't do cardio, I just lift until I'm out of breath and covered in sweat. Shower in a cool shower.

This sets the mood for the entire day. Task to hard? No such thing, you just deadlifted 600lbs (well, maybe)

Drink a couple of glasses (or more) of cold water first hour of the day. I don't eat until lunch, and I eat light healthy meals. Another life tip, grill 5 chicken breasts sunday night. Buy some frozen vegetables that can be microwaved. You now have lunch that you can quickly partition each morning, quickly warm up, and quickly eat--and it's cheap--and it's healthy.

I don't drink coffee, if I need a pick-me-up I drink a Yerba Mate (pronounced matay) and find it's a better energy rush, and there's no crash.

I currently sit behind a computer all day (this will change soon) if I start getting sluggish or stuck I stand up and walk out the door. If I can chat up a stranger in the hall it's even better. I always find that I return to the task with a refreshed brain and and better plan of action.

GuestUser201

BRAAP!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Apr 26, 2014
Park City, Utah
Awesome thread! Thanks everyone for sharing their life hacks.

There are three big life hacks I employ on myself on a daily basis:

1. I bait myself with rewards to motivate me to do work. I'm sure a lot of people know this one, but what works for me personally is if I tell myself I can only paint or draw (which I really love) IF I complete said task.

2. I find that using the pomodoro technique of doing 25 minutes work, and 5 minutes break - the break being a 5 minute meditation is really effective.
When I start to get bored or feel like I'm slowing down I spend just 5 minutes getting myself to an elated state by meditating and when I open my eyes and get back to work I feel like I'm 100x more productive.

3. By creating a to-do list before bed and while trying to fall asleep telling myself that tomorrow is going to be a productive day, I usually end up following the entire list.

Also, if I spend any time on useless things like youtube for example, I make myself feel this feeling of wasting time which turns me off of whatever I'm distracted with instantly and I get back to work. It's a bit hard to explain but I sort of trained myself to feel the feeling of boredom when I play a game or use any form of entertainment as to wane myself off of it for good.

Iwokeup

Aut viam invenium aut faciam
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
Completely agree. Just need to pickup butter from grass-fed cows and the MCT oil .... question is where to get these in Toronto...hmmm
I use coconut oil. Tastes great and honestly....I doubt that there is much difference between it and MCT oil, except price. Remember: K.I.I.S. :)

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida

tincho1492

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Aug 7, 2011
Uruguay
Power naps (15-20 minutes).
I wake up refreshed and more alert. I've been doing this for 2 years and recommending them to anyone.
I'm like a power-nap evangelist.

Work in 25-minute blocks, and take a rest of 5 mins.
It's know as the Pomodoro technique. When I use it I can really do lot of works without feeling tired at the end of the day (even when I train for 2-3 hours). In the 5 mins rest I usually stretch, do some pushups or some other little task.

And my latest addition to the arsenal of life hacks..

How to See Without Glasses :pompus:

Jez Davis

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Mar 3, 2014
Sydney, Australia
Life hacks hmm.. not sure if these are all life hacks but it helps me with life.

-> Currently looking further into "Speed learning".

Basically is researching the skill then breaking it up into steps and removing unnecessary steps.

-> Speed reading

A few techniques to increase words per minute that has helped me read way more faster. I guess.. this does come natural to some or most!

-> Modaf***l

Energy, No brain fog, Alertness, Focus, Loss of appetite.

-> Audio-books

Audio books Best way for myself to gain knowledge anywhere at anytime at work, driving or walking to the shops so i'm constantly learning.

-> Distractions (TV and Most Music)

For quite awhile now, I've always thought of the TV as being a distraction to entertain ones mind. I'd rather use TV time for other things I find more important. (Each to their own!)
Now, with music I've felt that when listened to my old R&B, Hiphop, Rap, Hardstyle etc have lead to clogged up mind of b**tches, drugs and that dirty money. NOT saying its all bad to have these on your mind but without it I feel a sense of clarity and a clear mind!

-> Memory (Writing down/Visualizing and associating)

Always had trouble with my memory.. (Thinking its from when i fell and hit my head) so through research i discovered writing down everything and/or visualizing with associating what I want to remember has helped me greatly with this.

-> Socializing

I've learnt so much from asking questions and opinions from anyone anywhere. I'd generally ask older people than myself that would tell me about their experiences, mistakes, what would they do, etc. you'd be surprised on what you can learn by seeing each persons different viewpoint

@workingtitle agreed with no or less masturbation for energy levels, more productivity, less sexual thoughts etc..
@bane agreed with force smiling (think I've heard that from The Magic of thinking big)

Hope this helps in any way :)

Each to their own!! - This post was a tad old...

InLikeFlint

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Nov 19, 2012
Michigan, USA
A grueling 2-hour workout in the gym with very little rest, high weights, and high intensity gets me in the best mental and physical state. My fatigued muscles are the result of hard work that I did and it makes other tasks seem less daunting. Mentally it clears my mind and allows me to relieve all of my stress and anger. This is something I rarely miss. Even my one day off (I lift 6 days per week), which is much deserved makes me feel lazy. I'm addicted!

I've tried other things over the past few years but eventually I stop for one reason or another. Working out is the one that sticks with me.

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
One of the members signature has something like "if I don't work ,my mom will die working" - something along those lines. Does anyone know who that person is?

That person is me. I changed it a few days ago :D Why? PM

cautiouscapy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Dec 30, 2012
UK
Groceries ordered online and delivered.
I live a little outside an urban area so it saves a 2 hour round trip, plus reduces impulse buys.
Oh, and I can get grass-fed butter and virgin coconut oil in this delivery ;-)

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
This free software came to mind: https://justgetflux.com/

Flux Sux!

Haha, it actually doesn't. But there are definitely better ways. Keep reading and I'll share them with you...

I've done my research AND experimenting with this, so I know 'a thing or two' on this topic...

First, back to the topic of f.lux. It's been constantly crashing or does not start for me... so I uninstalled it. Bye bye. If you have nothing though, you might as well try it out and see if it works on your computer because when it does work ... it does work (a little). Like I said, it's better than nothing.

EDIT: f.lux has different 'modes' though. I didn't get to try them out much because it kept crashing, but I'm sure they're great in the long run too. Still, I've read that people have used actual devices to measure the amount of blue light being emitted from their screens and apparently f.lux doesn't block blue light too good.

Second, I've also tried prescription GUNNAR glasses for over a year. I have the GUNNAR VINYL frame with prescription lenses.

They're great -- but the best part about them is honestly the prescription lenses. My left eye is the one that is slightly 'not perfect' and the prescription definitely helps. BUT -- the blue-light blocking is not that great. I do remember it being awesome at first, but now I need something eve better. I get tired of spending time on my computer because I ALWAYS (used to) get a headache. I began hating it...

Third, and this is the conclusion I've come to...

Buy yourself a pair of Uvex S1933X glasses from Amazon for $7.11 right now.

$7.11 is very inexpensive and they'll help you earn your money back and then some...

And since I'm sure all of us who are users of the forum spend at least 4+ hours on a computer daily. We can all benefit from it in ways that are immeasurable. Trust me. They're DA BEST! :tiphat:

Last edited:

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
478%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
Use the back of a spoon to get peanut butter out of the jar. ;) Spreads way better than a knife and you cut yourself less often licking the leftovers.

LibertyForMe

Habits pave the path to success.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Feb 5, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
Now that cold weather is coming, put a small space heater in your room and attach it to one of those christmas light timers that you can have turn on at certain times. Have the heater turn on about 15 minutes before your alarm goes off in the morning, and then your room will be nice and warm and you won't be as tempted to stay snuggled in bed.

Also, lay your clothes out the night before, so that way when you wake up you don't have to use your brain to get ready. You just stumble out of bed and put on what you already laid out.

When I do these two things, I find that it is MUCH easier to wake up in the morning.

spoonerism

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Mar 29, 2014
Kansas City
Bulletproof Coffee is responsible for kickstarting 6 out of every 7 of my mornings.

Basically it's organic wet processed coffee beans course ground in a french press. After a few minutes I add MCT oil and butter from grass-fed cows. Blend it using a Magic Bullet until it's frothy.

I was not a coffee drinker prior to bulletproof coffee but I absolutely love this stuff as does my wife.

This coffee is like being drip fed energy all day long. I don't get the usual spike of energy one gets after drinking "regular" coffee followed shortly thereafter by a crash. Rather the energy is sustained throughout the day.

It helps with focus and mental clarity.

I know @Likwid24, @Red, @theag (and maybe @MarkNNelson) drinks it pretty consistently. Maybe they can chime in as well.

More info:
http://www.bulletproofexec.com/bulletproof-coffee-recipe/
http://www.bulletproofexec.com/bulletproof-coffee-mistakes-butter-coffee-fatty-coffee-and-more/
http://www.bulletproofexec.com/announcement-cognitive-study-with-bulletproof-coffee/
http://www.bulletproofexec.com/one-ugly-mug-the-science-behind-just-one-mold-toxin-in-your-coffee/

I also swear by this stuff and I know exactly what you mean by the energy drip. I bought a Magic Bullet last week for the sole purpose of blending my butter/oil blend. Sometimes I use a little heavy cream and a tablespoon of sugar if I'm feeling generous.

MarkNNelson

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Jul 12, 2013
Colorado
Bulletproof Coffee is responsible for kickstarting 6 out of every 7 of my mornings.

Yup, I tried it for a while. The effects were great, but I had a mental problem with it that I ultimately couldn't get around. I want coffee in the morning. Black, hot, diner coffee. So I wouldn't use the "c" word, I'd just try to psych myself up for my "warm smoothie". A lot of people love the taste, and I recall Allen being one of them. I'm not.

Ultimately, I played around and got the same benefits (clarity, energy, satiety) from what I find a more palatable alternative: 2T potato starch in cold water (google "resistant starch" for info), couplethree strips of bacon, black coffee and a few fish oil caps.

Cold showers.

+1 on that one. Takes some getting used to, but it's good once you do.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
I am happy to see a lot of people eating well here :p

we made big changes in our diets here but lately have been slacking... definitely time to get back on track...

I am getting ready to cut gluten and white sugar soon. it is slightly harder when there are more people involved LOL they all know we should do it, but it still difficult... I personally love food... I don't think I can ever give up certain things totally, but in the end its like the cigarettes were. I loved them too, once upon a time... I think my hometown pizza is more addicting then the Marlboros were tho LOL :p
everytime I go home I fall off the wagon I cant resist!

Writer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Aug 26, 2014
Texas. (Mars during summer)
This is my first post in this forum so I think this awesome thread is a nice place to start ;)

My "life hacks":

1. get up early: I cannot always do that, because I'm a student with a part-time job where I have to do night shifts, but I do it whenever I can. It helps me to get so many things done.
2. sports, fitness: I totally recommed doing some kind of martial art. For me, it builds confidence, discipline and is a good way to relieve stress.
3. drink a lot of water: I drink 3-4 liters (about one gallon) of water a day. Helps me to stay fresh and keep a clear head, especially during my night shifts. I never have any headaches, and I think this may be due at least to some extent to the amount of water I drink.
4. eat "five a day".
5. cold shower: really gest me awake and boosts the immune system. I rarely ever get sick.
6. keep a diary: I started this habit about two months ago, and I regret that I didn't start earlier.
7. read a lot. Should be self-explanatory, right?
8. have no TV
9. turn off my PC at least one hour before I go to sleep

and of course, the best recent addition to my life hacks is
10. this forum ;)

Are you a Bold and Determined reader?

Sweeetland

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Jul 13, 2014
Manchester, United Kingdom
I've shared this before but I think It would be a nice addition to this thread. Anyone looking to get into meditation should check out headspace.com.

I am not affiliated in any way, just an avid user whose benefitted enormously.

P.S. tempted to check out this bulletproof coffee...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.