The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Fastlane or Unscripted? Which first?

Which book should be read first, TMF, or UNSCRIPTED?

• The Millionaire Fastlane

Votes: 73 53.3%
  • Unscripted

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • Doesn't really matter.

Votes: 28 20.4%

• Total voters

FreeMan

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Nov 26, 2012
NSW, Australia
I read TMF first and the way the sidewalk, slowlane and fastlane was explained really struck a nerve. And I'm sure if I read Unscripted first, I'd have a similar reaction to the concepts presented especially since it's written in MJ's no BS style. Which makes it so different from most business books.

I'd say TMF may be conceptually easier to understand and follow as Unscripted has TUNEF which is made of multiple components, new concepts and abbreviations. This is especially true when listening on audio and you can't skip back easily to the earlier chapters to remind yourself what a certain concept was again.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Blackadder

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Sep 17, 2013
The Ozark Mountains
In my oh so humble opinion (and having now read both books) The millionaire fastlane changes your worldview, Unscripted helps you find your new "why" to that worldview.

The why before the vista, would be like adding the soda to the rootbeer float first....its nice....but its a whole other world when its added after the ice cream.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
So my question is, for those of you who read UNSCRIPTED and TMF (BOTH) and feel one or both are recommendable, which book would you recommend is read FIRST?

TMF first. It is simpler, and easier to digest.

Unscripted got pretty heady and complicated with the charts and acronyms, and I'm not sure I would've stuck it out if I wasn't already a TMF disciple.

RedKiteKid

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
May 29, 2017
UK
TMF for me, for many of the reasons above but also because I listen on audible and the fact that it was self-narrated I felt only added to the message and the buy-in to the concepts. Unscripted was a tougher listen then but part of that is because it is so rampacked with additional content it's a huge expansion on TMF and requires time to digest (for me that only read TMF a few months ago at least) so rather than standing alone I see it more as a follow on for sure.

CDM

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
Jun 17, 2013
I think Unscripted is for the average person who is barely aware that the Matrix exists.

TMF is for those who are struggling to escape it.

The book to read first depends on where somebody is at in life.

The guy who is doing 5 MLMs and trying to sell crap on Amazon needs TMF first.

But most people should read Unscripted first.

Olimac21

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 3, 2015
Belo Horizonte, Brasil
TMF first and then Unscripted, once you got some time to incorporate some of the main ideas from TMF.

MiguelHammond10

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Jun 12, 2017
Seattle
They are all great Book to read but when it comes to the one to read first i would recommend the UNSCRIPTED since it covers most stuff than the TMF when it come to Business,it talks about everything.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Laughingman21

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Sep 7, 2015
I definitely think TMF is the book I would read first. I think it breaks down the problems that people are unknowingly facing with the sidewalk and slowlane and would do a better job of making someone move from these into the Fastlane.

I have to admit, I found some of Unscripted’s comments on the scripted life a bit harsh and potentially offensive to those people caught up in it. Often, the people there have taken that road because they’ve had no-one around them to tell them otherwise and they think they’re doing the right thing. To read a book that not only tells them they’re on the wrong path, but also makes them feel bad about it was a bit strong. I think some people may well have given up at that point, but with TMF it feels like it’s educating people against their mistakes in a less condescending tone. If someone from the slowlane reads TMF first, I think they’re more likely to stick with Unscripted as a follow up.

That said, I think both books are brilliant and offer the readers a huge amount of value. I’ve read TMF a number of times and will no doubt do the same with Unscripted.

Nigel B

Life Long Learner
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Sep 18, 2017
USA
I'm going to echo much of what has been said as individuals have identified some of what I experienced.\

Unscripted then TMF for these reasons:
1. Unscripted is better written, with better structure working towards a clear outcome.
2. Terminology change does not matter - it is only an issue if you already have context which a new reader does not.
3. The majority of people (even those who think they are entrepreneurs) are in fact living mainly Scripted lives and that emphasis is context for taking action
4. To get engaged with TMF you have to a) want to be an entrepreneur already, and b) get past the title - I understand why it was done, but Unscripted is a much more relatable and accurate context for the message (IMO)

Have you considered pulling out much of TMF, restructuring it into "MJ's Autobiography" - possibly with more detail in places, to allow a reader of Unscripted to catch up on MJ without the overlapping and sometimes confusing differences in terminology between the two? Would need to be done transparently - to avoid owners of TMF going "Oo another MJ book, better get that" ... then raging here and elsewhere.

Aaron T

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
345%
Aug 27, 2017
I read TMF first then listened to it a second time via Audible. It stuck. Unscripted stuck the first time.

1. Unscripted
2. TMF

But you won't make a mistake regardless of the order you read them if you absorb the contents.

Player

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jun 14, 2017
Gold Coast
There is a saying that you don't realise what you have until it's gone..........well, in a simlar vain, you don't know what you've been missing until it arrives. This applies to Unscripted.

I read TMF some years back and recently read Unscripted. IMHO, Unscripted sets the scene for the "system" and the role of most people within it. Schools and the global education system in most formats exists to create tax payers. MJ raises the awareness that people are so drugged by their consumer focused lifestyle and 9-5 enslavery that they die at age 25 only to be buried at 75 and sleep walk through life. The wake up that comes in the form of a sledge hammer is a retrospective prelude to read TMF in my opinion.

For those not having read either...Unscripted first and TMF second. In reality it doesn't matter because these books need to be re-read at least once a year. Share them and the learnings they impart to those you care about.

Kenny27

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Mar 30, 2017
England, UK
I agree with what some of the guys above say, it depends on the person.

I gave my dad (lifelong employee) my copy of TMF but he wasn't keen to read it. I don't think it really spoke to him, and things were a bit awkward whenever we would talk about entrepreneurship. I gave him Unscripted as soon as I finished it, and that had a much greater impact on him. After finishing Unscripted he's gone back to TMF. He's still an employee, but now he actually engages in fastlane conversations with me.

Personally I think Unscripted is better for most people, TMF is great for those with an entrepreneurial spark.

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY
Funny, I was just about to post a question regarding the relationship between the 2 books. I think it depends on where the person is. If the person is happy with the 9 to 5 lifestyle, then neither (although I would slip that person a copy of Your Money or Your Life). If the person is unhappy, but isn't too keen on entrepreneurship, I think reading Unscripted first would be helpful for giving him the right frame of mind. If the person knows that entrepreneurship is the path he wants, TMF provided a bit more concrete details. I see alot of overlap in the two books, but Unscripted spends more time with the thoughts and beliefs than TMF does.

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY
I'm wondering the same. If anyone could tell me what those books are about?

To channel this forum a bit, stop asking us to do things for you. If you have a Kindle, you can get samples. I think you can still get the first 3 chapters of both books. However, where are you? Are you interested in knowing why becoming an entrepreneur is a good idea, or are you looking for execution strategies?

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I'm wondering the same. If anyone could tell me what those books are about?

Living life on your terms through the power of a specific subset of business outlined in the Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework.
Winning your freedom from life's bullshit.
Going from "f*ck this" to "f*ck you"

Here's over 4,500 (180+ pages) of explanations if you'd like to read them.
GOLD - I've Read The Millionaire Fastlane!

eagleye101

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jul 24, 2013
Athens, Greece
Nothing to be proud of, but I've read each book more than once... I initially read TMF, then I read Unscripted. Then I listened to Unscripted in audio x3, then I read TMF again, then I listened to TMF (some may call this obsession :p ).

Anyway, in my opinion Unscripted stand alone. But I think TMF should be read first. In unscripted you're much more mature @MJ DeMarco. TMF seems a bit amateur while Unscripted is 100% professional. In TMF there are mismatches within audio and text. Unscripted has even a pdf attachment in the audiobook. But I'd say that TMF should be read first because it's the initial intro in the CENTS (then CENTS) business model. While in the Unscpripted, even if it stands alone, you speak "as if" everyone knows basic fastlane concepts. I.e. what is slowlane, sidewalk and fastlane? I am not sure I would understand these concepts 100% if I hadn't read TMF.

Last edited by a moderator:

B. Cole

In thine hand is power and might.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
328%
Mar 5, 2017
East Coast
They both do the job of initiating the mind shift. TMF is a little more raw and hits harder on the mind shift. Unscripted probably more confirmation of the mind shift path with more things to explore.

Not sure if reading one or the other matters significantly to a slowlaner, they both have the “wake the f up” message that lands here, with better life influences so one can focus and learn. Unscripted sums up TMF and builds on it. I think if you read Unscripted first, you may find TMF redundant and introductory. TMF is power and shock, Unscripted is power and shock marinated in strategy.

Dylan_91

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Jan 28, 2017
Florida
So my question is, for those of you who read UNSCRIPTED and TMF (BOTH) and feel one or both are recommendable, which book would you recommend is read FIRST?

!

I had just finished reading TMF when UNSCRIPTED was planning its pre-release and then purchased and read UNSCRIPTED.

I liked it that way, I can see how people would find UNSCRIPTED first due to it being the "new" book attract for customers to the lifestyle, to the group. Personally, I'd prefer reading TMF before. I'd say if I read UNSCRIPTED first I'd probably not have read TMF after, just because I feel I would have already achieved the "newest" information (my usual self when I find an author has older books). This is not to say that both books don't have their own unique importance in this instance!

Supercar

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Mar 14, 2012
Michigan, Arizona
I read TMF first and Unscripted later, the way they came out. To me the first book says What to do, and the second explains How to do it. TMF is more factual. Unscripted is more philosophical. I was philosophically prepared for this content before I read it, so TMF sank in well. When Unscripted came out it was only a confirmation of what I already knew, but it was a very positive reinforcement, nevertheless.

If you are struggling with the concepts of capitalism, free market, liberty, independence, being your own boss, being rich, accumulating wealth, personal responsibility, etc -- that is you voted for Bernie or Hillary -- then you may need to read Unscripted first.

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
As I wrote in another thread, I think TMF shows you why you SHOULD be an entrepreneur. UNSCRIPTED shows you why you NEED to be an entrepreneur.

If you are struggling with the concepts of capitalism, free market, liberty, independence, being your own boss, being rich, accumulating wealth, personal responsibility, etc -- that is you voted for Bernie or Hillary -- then you may need to read Unscripted first.

Ha Ha, I didn't say that!

But before someone locks me into a political box, let me just say that my "views" on hot-button issues spread the left/right spectrum whereas it would frustrate a partisan because they violate all partisan boxes.

I'd go into detail, but I'd violate my own forum rules. ;)

TKRR

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Nov 27, 2017
Ohio
I had just finished reading TMF when UNSCRIPTED was planning its pre-release and then purchased and read UNSCRIPTED.

I liked it that way, I can see how people would find UNSCRIPTED first due to it being the "new" book attract for customers to the lifestyle, to the group. Personally, I'd prefer reading TMF before. I'd say if I read UNSCRIPTED first I'd probably not have read TMF after, just because I feel I would have already achieved the "newest" information (my usual self when I find an author has older books). This is not to say that both books don't have their own unique importance in this instance!

I read Unscripted first, only because it appealed to me more, and actually didn't know the other one existed. I'm about half way through TMF and it does feel a bit of the same kind of thing, in which I thought Unscripted did a better job at getting the point across. However, I'm still getting a lot out of it. It's sort helping to see the same basic problem from yet another angle. Also, frankly, this stuff is motivating.

I would think that either would be a good start to opening someone's eyes, but at this point I do feel like I liked Unscripted better, but it could be simply for the "newness" factor, like you suggested.

TKRR

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Nov 27, 2017
Ohio
As I wrote in another thread, I think TMF shows you why you SHOULD be an entrepreneur. UNSCRIPTED shows you why you NEED to be an entrepreneur.

Ha Ha, I didn't say that!

But before someone locks me into a political box, let me just say that my "views" on hot-button issues spread the left/right spectrum whereas it would frustrate a partisan because they violate all partisan boxes.

I'd go into detail, but I'd violate my own forum rules. ;)

For what it's worth, I felt you did a pretty good job putting down both sides. For a person to wholeheartedly agree with republican or democrats is pure insanity to me. Frankly, both sides are playing us.

Hai

Beauty is Truth
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Jan 1, 2015
I found TMF to be more actionable and polarizing. It is better suited for people to take action.
It should be read first if you are a bit eccentric.

Unscripted is fabulous addition to TMF and supplements with great great concepts(I love the gumball machine analogy the most). Many questions you have after reading TMF are addressed.
The branding is also more suited for the general public, which is great to get even more eyes on it.

Bon Appetit

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jan 19, 2018
Paris, France
I have read TMF first and then Unscripted but if I have to do it again I would prefer to go with Unscripted first.

Unscripted starts by setting up the decor, understanding the society where you live and format your mindset. This introduction lead you to why you want to take the Fastlane. TMF is more focus on the entrepreneurial aspect.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.