The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Fastlane Fatty Forum

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
187 lbs. I haven't really tried that hard, but I have been more aware of what I am eating.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
ate a bit better this week, exercised twice and shoveled 15 tons of snow. Lost one pound. Disappointed with the results, but pressing on.

EastWind

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 31, 2009
USA
I've been eating quite good, haven't been eating out much. Working out moderately and lost another 3lbs. I'm now at 214lbs. Currently goal is to lose around 1.5lbs a week, so goal is to be at 211lbs by the end of the month.

randallg99

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
This past 2 week's progress was counterproductive! I fell into a couple of old habits as I worked late and then ate late. Lot's of snow and bad weather has kept me inside.

Now I know my excuses and now I'll know what i have to do ....

Started 1.1.2010 at 195 lbs
gained 2 lbs in last 2 weeks
Now at 191
YTD Dropped 4 lbs in 51 days for total of 2.09%

My original plan is to lose 5-7 lbs per month so I am way behind in achieving this goal and I'll have to be more consistent in following my good habits because every bad habit at this age appears to have a magnified impact.

Continued success to all,

R

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
Bob.... then I think you should come with us this afternoon for a hike up the mountain.... ;)

EastWind

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 31, 2009
USA
update report. :)

so it was a slow start, but what changed since the beginning of the year was that i stopped eating out. i don't really eat junk foods that much while out, but i started doing more grocery shopping. twice a month, i still buy 1 large frozen pizza, 6 ice cream cones with caramel center, 1 candy bar everytime i do my grocery shopping, so i'm not just eating vegetables. i started eating good tho, beans around 3x a week, still high carbs, rice, potatoe, pasta, bread. but it's balanced out cuz i upped my intake in vegetables and fruits too.

i really don't remember how much i was at the beginning of the year. i was tethering around 218lbs.

by Jan 11th without working out and just eating. I lost 2 lbs.

By Feb 1st, I was 217lbs. went back up, so I set a goal to reach 214lbs by 2/14. I started working out for the first time in my life. Nothing too serious, just a little bit aerobics and lifting 20lbs dumb wells. lol

Feb 14th, I hit 214lbs, and I set a goal to hit 211lbs by Feb 28th.

Feb 21st. I'm at 210lbs and even around 2 days ago, saw 208lbs once on the scale. My new goal is to hit 207lbs by Mar 14th.

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
Start weight 190
Goal weight 140
Current weight 185

Starting to come off a bit. I really concentrated on my eating this week. Plus tons of water.

Water is one of the best weight loss formulas. Drink 100oz a day.

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine
I am off to a slow start but I am down to 204. Lost 6 pounds. I would like to be down to 195 by the end of the month. Still eating well but haven't been exercising like I planned to. I am moving around a bit more from moving across town but haven't been out walking. I need to get that walking back into my busy schedule and I will lose weight a lot quicker. I can't do it just on dieting alone. :tiphat:

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
Start 190
Goal 140
Current 176 Down 14

Really concentrating on my diet. I'm only eating about 1000-1200 calories a day atm. It was tough the first week, but now its much easier. I eat 5 times a day, but much smaller meals. (I am counting a snack as a meal.)
Got back to running again. Ran 6.5 miles this week.

I'm really thinking about getting a calorie counter. The body bugg or gowear fit.

faq88

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Oct 14, 2009
Congrats on all of you who are trying to loose some weight. Keep it up!!! Just a tool for weighloss. There is a free Ipod/Iphone App called LoseIt that tracks your calories and your exercise. Helped me to loose 20lbs last year.

Keep it up!!!

PEERless

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jan 23, 2008
Hey, guys! I know I got thrown out of this thread, but I think some of my experiences might still be relevant. I've just hit the 2-month mark of a very intense workout/diet program, and I thought I could share some insights that may transcend the fitness realm and apply to other fastlane concepts.
  1. Goals Can Change: Initially my goals were pretty simple and modest (improve my calisthenic scores as measured by the U.S. Navy.) Soon I added a weight component (gain 24 lean pounds.) As I neared my initial fitness goals, I adjusted them to become more difficult. Although reaching checkpoints and landmarks is important, I find that it is key to suspend the carrot well out of reach to avoid plateaus.
  2. Everyone Has an Opinion: Everyone is an expert. Everyone knows the precise balance of macronutrients/ the right volume of protein/ the perfect number of workouts. The problem is that 9/10ths of the people who offer their expertise are shouting it from their armchairs. I'm glad "Men's Health" published The Best Workout EVER this month, but don't they do that every month? I'm doing what's working for me, keyword: DOING. I'm keeping an eye on my blood chemistry, and I'm up-front with my physician about my program, my diet, and my supplements. My doctor has more "Rep.Speed" than almost anyone else on this issue.
  3. Beliefs Come First: Related to the above, lots of folks tell me that I'll see faster muscular gains if I would just "eat a steak." I have chosen to be a vegetarian for reasons that are important to me. It's amazing to me that so many armchair experts demand that I adjust my ethical constructs to reach my personal goals. According to my bloodwork, I'm getting plenty of protein, manganese, B12, iron, etc.; and I'm doing it without killing anyone. Might I reach my goals faster by disregarding my beliefs? Yes. Would I be able to live with myself?
I hope some of these observations might be applicable to your own goals, be they fitness or fastlane.

EastWind

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 31, 2009
USA
i really don't remember how much i was at the beginning of the year. i was tethering around 218lbs.

by Jan 11th without working out and just eating. I lost 2 lbs.

By Feb 1st, I was 217lbs. went back up, so I set a goal to reach 214lbs by 2/14. I started working out for the first time in my life. Nothing too serious, just a little bit aerobics and lifting 20lbs dumb wells. lol

Feb 14th, I hit 214lbs, and I set a goal to hit 211lbs by Feb 28th.

Feb 21st. I'm at 210lbs and even around 2 days ago, saw 208lbs once on the scale. My new goal is to hit 207lbs by Mar 14th.

since that last post, i have slacked alot.

but I'm from 210 down since my last post to 202lbs and that is with a lot of slacking! But seeing this thread, I'm going to get back into action.

So that's a total of 16lbs lost from 218->202. My new goal is to see 197lbs by end of April, and 190 by end of May.

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine
Start 210
Goal 165
Current 198.5 Down 11.5

OK I got sidetracked a bit. Back to the grinding stone. This last week I have been putting health and weight loss back on the front burner.

This morning I weighed in at 198.5

I am down a few pounds from the last time I checked but missed my goal by well over a month. I am realigning and setting new goals now.

Looking on the bright side of things I am now under that 200 milestone mark. definitely feels good mentally to reach that goal. Working hard now to the new milestone of 190 by June 1st.

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
Start 190
Current 165
Down 25 lbs.

20 more lbs to go.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
have any of you tried Nutrisystem or a similar plan?

If so, how's been your experience?

--I wonder if this should be its own thread as to not hijack this one... although it seem relevant to this topic.

A

Anon3587x

I'm about 6'1 180. In my case the goal is to gain a few pounds, trying to hover around 200-205ish.

But for those of you trying to lose weight I'd advice to just drink water/juice, run a little EVERY day. Stop eating all those nasty preprocessed food and snacks.

It's really not that complicated, I think people tend to over examine this sort of thing and make it sound more difficult then it actually is. By following my obvious easy instructions you will shed the weight in no time.

( I wrestled for 8 years, never missed weight )

wildambitions

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Aug 29, 2007
Southern NM

I have done them ALL. And gotten successful results from ALL and kept weight off for 2 yrs pluss with ALL.

It ALL comes down to portion control and vigilance to take notice of what you put into your body and then the calories you spend with your activity.
PROS to the plans:
portion control
easy prep
fat content control
Systematic planning (a meal will have 350 calories and balance elements from the good groups)
easy clean up

CONS to the plans:
higher cost
food not as tasty if you are picky
once off of them easy to increase portion size
advance planning needed to incorporate them into your life

I find that ultimately any plan I put together and follow through with, I am successful with... hmmm
sounds like a solid business plan, huh?

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine
Yeah it makes sense. I know how to lose weight. It's keeping it off that I struggle with. I am good at dieting and losing weight but I haven't made that lifestyle change. My 2 largest issues are portion control and under active thyroid.

I tend to eat to much if not paying attention. I also have a very under active thyroid and take pills to regulate.

But like this weekend, since i have been paying attention and implementing the strategies that are not complicated I lost another pound and a half.

It's easy to reach your ideal weight and then say, "ahh I am where i want to be... now I can eat that big fat greasy cheeseburger.."

Bobo

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Mar 25, 2008
down but only a few pounds, doing better in the measurements department because when stressed I skip the hamster wheel and play with steel instead. Due to work schedule right now weights on the weekend, cardio at 5am at the hotel so I can be in the office at 7 and no drinking with the 20-somethings on my projects at night. 7 weeks into new job I am down only 2 pounds but given the schedule and travel that's a vistory. Must get ready for triathlon season now.

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co

--I wonder if this should be its own thread as to not hijack this one... although it seem relevant to this topic.

I am on the slimgenics diet. Its working, but I would not recommend it. The cost is way to high. I am $1300 into this one so far. All the info can be found online on how to eat right, and you can get much cheaper diet items at places like diet direct or doctors best weight loss. The programs make their money off selling you the products for a premium. I would have saved around $500 had I known about those sites first.

This is obvious, but working out helps while doing the diet. I was losing 5 lbs a week while exercising and 3 lbs a week when not.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
The easy way to lose weight is to find something that you like to do that is active. Once you do that, it doesn't even feel like dieting. I know you all hate the skinny guys who can eat whatever they want, but they probably aren't just skinny or have high metabolisms, they play have an active lifestyle.

Regarding paying for those diet systems, I would suggets spending that same money on something that gives you motivation to workout. Bilge mentioned he's $1300 into a diet plan. He could put that into climbing mt. kilimanjaro which would probably cost about $5000. But if he did that, he would have $5k invested into something which would force him to exercise many many months prior to the trip. Then if he's like me, he'll lose an additional 5 lbs on the trip. :)

Now you don't have to go to that extreme, but just find something that you and a friend like to do. For example, If you and your friend have never played racquetball, why not try it, you may both like playing it for hours and hours. Then it wouldn't even be working out, you would just want to play.

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
One other item I would like to suggest. Is keep a food budget. This is probably one of the top 3 items to do. Record everything you eat. The amount of calories sodium and protein. (Most of that info is also online for free). Now for the expense. Go online and purchase the gowear fit. $179. It tracks how many calories you burn. Its about 90% accurate. You need to burn more then you take in. 3500 calories equals 1 lb. Simple math...for every 3500 calories you burn more then you take in, you lose 1 lb.
Also, drink lots of water. 80+ ounces a day. (4-6 typical 20 ounce bottles) (I wouldn't go to high though 160+ will cause you to pee to much and drain nutrients).

Eat slowly. Take your time and really pace yourself. Cute little trick at first is to eat with chopsticks or pretend your eating that slowly. You will fill up faster and on less food. Or if your not full yet, wait 20 mins and then see. If your still not satisfied, eat a bit more. Also eat more times a day. Guys tend to eat really big meals and eat less often. The body knows this and slows down your metabolism to compensate for longer periods without food. Feel free to eat 5 times a day. Mind you 2 of those "meals" will be those diet protein bars. It causes you to stay more full and eat less at meals.

2 other cheap tricks. Drink a 20 ounce glass of water 20 minutes before you it. You will fill quicker and eat less. When eating a restaurant, immediately ask for a box when the meal comes out. Put half the meal in the box and have it later. Eating less sucks at first, but your stomach will shrink after a week or 2 and then it becomes much easier.

I'll list this stuff out when I get a chance later.

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine
This was a very successful week for me. I will be documenting my progress every Friday like i did last week. I did some working out but very limited. I went heavy on the dieting and it was mostly portion control (under 1200 calories/day) and picking foods that boost metabolism. I mostly grazed off of fruits in morning, veggies in the afternoon, and had a small meal for dinner with meat and veggies and maybe a couple tablespoons of whatever the carb/starch was.

I drank about 8-10 tall glasses of water daily. I had one small glass of milk at dinner but then switched to water.

So here are the results. I lost a total of 4 pounds in the last week ringing in at 194.5

Start 210
Goal 165
Current 194.5 Down 15.5

I plan to have more weeks like this in the near future. I will be modeling this week's dieting plan and we'll see where we are next week at this time.

CactusWren

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Jan 5, 2008
Arizona
Ok, I have been busy...

Just realized I was short changing myself on the deadline for my goal. Originally I had chosen April 15th and in subsequent posts I wrote March 15th. I think highly of my discipline obviously! LOL

In any case, it's Friday.

Original goal: - 10 lbs
Original Deadline : April 15th

Results so far: -8 lbs

New goal: -15 lbs
New Deadline: July 15 (my BD!)

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.