The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Fast Lane Plan: Internet Business

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Knock knock, i dropped by your site today Lots of natural incoming links, PR5, etc the blog is very well written. Give us some updates!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MrPink

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Feb 26, 2008
Toledo, OH
LightHouse! Thanks for the reach out and glad you enjoy the content.

Where to start?

I have been putting a lot of time into the site, but love doing it.

The coolest thing so far was being invited to Toronto to speak at our national conference in July.

What you would like know?

MrPink

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Feb 26, 2008
Toledo, OH
Ok, I am going to give this a stab at what others maybe interested in and what I learned so far

(this is off the top of my head, I wanted to sit down and plan this out better, but realized it was keeping me from updating, sorry if this is not what you are looking for)

1) takes a lot of work, I do 14 hr days like its nothing (ave about 2 hours/day on the blog, but do to my work am always reading/working with the subject matter) and work on weekends (less hours)

2) do a niche - when in doubt go smaller - some of my posts I think will only help one person, but that is fine (in reality, it usually does pretty well since no one is covering the topic in that much detail)

3) reach out: I am pretty shy, but nearly every time I have reached out - send an email, get on the phone or met someone at a conference, it has been a great experience (how to do this? don't spam - create a connection, give first)

4) currently working on monetizing - I was finally able to find a site that does advertising in my niche (MJ told me to find someone to give me an idea of what sort of rates to charge at first) - was finally able to find a site that did post their advertising numbers although was not a blog

5) started using a planner: helped a ton in getting down my ideas, scheduling posts (help relieve stress) and keeping track of other promotional activities (twitter, facebook, friendfeed, blogs, forums)

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Ok, I am going to give this a stab at what others maybe interested in and what I learned so far

(this is off the top of my head, I wanted to sit down and plan this out better, but realized it was keeping me from updating, sorry if this is not what you are looking for)

1) takes a lot of work, I do 14 hr days like its nothing (ave about 2 hours/day on the blog, but do to my work am always reading/working with the subject matter) and work on weekends (less hours)

2) do a niche - when in doubt go smaller - some of my posts I think will only help one person, but that is fine (in reality, it usually does pretty well since no one is covering the topic in that much detail)

3) reach out: I am pretty shy, but nearly every time I have reached out - send an email, get on the phone or met someone at a conference, it has been a great experience (how to do this? don't spam - create a connection, give first)

4) currently working on monetizing - I was finally able to find a site that does advertising in my niche (MJ told me to find someone to give me an idea of what sort of rates to charge at first) - was finally able to find a site that did post their advertising numbers although was not a blog

5) started using a planner: helped a ton in getting down my ideas, scheduling posts (help relieve stress) and keeping track of other promotional activities (twitter, facebook, friendfeed, blogs, forums)

The long hours are apart of the process as long as those hours might buy you free time in the near future in the form of passivity, or a big pay day. Thank you for the update, have enjoyed reading them!!

MrPink

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Feb 26, 2008
Toledo, OH
MJ thanks for the reply means a lot. I sometimes feel like I am posting into a vacuum.

I was looking at my site via webmaster tools and have a number of duplicate title tags

for example:

[SIZE=-1][/SIZE] /category/scientific-publication-and-presentation/
/category/scientific-publication-and-presentation/page/2/
/category/scientific-publication-and-presentation/page/3/
/tag/scientific-publication-and-presentation/

Does this negatively effect search engines by being considered duplicate content?

Thanks.

mkzhang

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Sep 30, 2009
Good job, I am a bit lost however. Have you abandoned your old idea of developing the software and gone into more of a expert in the field?

MrPink

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Feb 26, 2008
Toledo, OH
Yeah, my story is actually split among a number of different threads some of which are in the private section. So doesn't really flow that well ;(

working on a blog at the moment - is the short of it
the blog has been doing better than I expected so am stoked, but is a lot of work

I am working hard on making it more than that so stay tuned ;)

mkzhang

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Sep 30, 2009
Oh no I was just wondering, since your original plan was to develop some innovative software, my assumption was that you were looking to hit a gold mine and make it big.

So now that you are doing a blog, have your goals and original plans changed? Are you still doing this to achieve the same goal or have you stumbled upon something you love doing? :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.