• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Fast Lane Plan: Internet Business

Discussion in 'Progress/Execution Threads' started by MrPink, Feb 28, 2008.

1. MrPink

MrPink Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $65
    This idea is still in its infancy, but wanted to post it since I have enjoyed following the progress of other fast lane plans (maybe this is better in the internet business subforum).

The business is essentially a platform (hope that is the right word) in which people load their information to help them process scientific data more effeciently.

The problem at the moment is that there a number of programs that do not 'flow' together in the sense that you have use intermediate programs to change the format.

As a hypothetical example, (unsure if this actually a problem) of if you have an open office spreadsheet on linux then want to open in excel from windows, you may need another conversion program.

The platform solves this problem by having the user select the programs that they want to use in the appropiate order then runs (our platform loads all the information into all the intermediate programs saving a lot of headache).

I have already drawn up the layout and am having a friend create the website. He just told me today that is going to be java based. I do not have the money to straight hire someone has an employee. I bring the idea, knowledge of how the programs link together and the ability to test the platform. In addition, the motivation is in the right spot for both of us.

We have not ironed out the business component so was wanting some feedback. He already has a LLC set up so I would be joining that if this pans out. I would also be interested in what you think would be the best way to generate revenue.

My thoughts have been in order:
    1) charge a yearly fee for access to the program
    2) have a beta version free then pay for the full version
    3) totally free and try to make money from advertising on the webpage
    4) sell the program to the user
    Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Mr. Pink

2. MrPink

MrPink Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $65
    I have summerized all the different program inputs so that the user only has to enter their information once (instead of multiple times). Next step is going to have a version of the new interface, but without any sort of function to ensure the lay out is good.

Mr. Pink

3. son_of_slim_jim

son_of_slim_jim New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $34
    Sounds like a good idea to me, but i have one question. If you do the beta is free and pay for full program, what will keep them from just using the beta?

Ideas:
    1. Have a limited # of uses
    2. Make it a time limit thing.(I don't know if you could do this, but it might be worthing looking into)

SOSJ

4. MrPink

MrPink Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $65
    I was thinking along the lines of a time limit.

The development still has a way to go, but would like feedback on the initial version so users that are willing to try it out - could then use it for free for awhile (60 days).

Mr. Pink

5. MrPink

MrPink Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $65
    I am still thinking about what is the best way to create cash flow. I was curious if anyone out there knows the rates for advertising (sorry if this has been stated else where).

If a site gets 100 verse 1000 verse 5000 unique visitors per a day, what sort of rate could one get from businesses advertising on that site?

I am using this to help decide whether or not the program should be free and go for advertising revenue. Thanks,

Mr. Pink

6. MrPink

MrPink Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $65
    I just got an email from the person who is programming the page stating that they didn't have time to work on the project until 'later'.

I am following up with an email in hopes of getting a better idea of what sort of time line they had in mind.

I feel a little stuck since I don't want to hire someone and would rather find a partner in the sense that they would be more motivated to get things done.

I will wait to hear a reply, but this could be turning point. Do I try to learn to program java on my own or start looking for someone else?

Mr. Pink

7. wildambitions

wildambitions Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $161
    Don't wait for a programmer. Don't wait, just do it. Do you due diligence but keep moving forward.

Be sure to protect your ideas (intellectual property, disclosure agreements, etc.).

You may also want to try www.getafreelancer.com to find a programmer that might be able to help you NOW and at a price that may be prudent.

8. MrPink

MrPink Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $65
    Is there a good resource for protecting intellectual property and attaining discloser agreements?

I would rather split the profits with someone than just hire it out, but this could be unwise.

The two reasons are money to hire someone and the motivation of the other person to get it done right. I feel that if they have a direct stack in it then maybe they would more motivated. I maybe operating under the false assumption that I can't hire an employee that is not motivated. Thanks for the feedback.

Mr. Pink

9. MrPink

MrPink Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $65
    I heard back from the programmer. I really wanted the interface designed (no actual function) by May, which has been deemed possible. I am going to visit the programmer in May so that I can explain how the program should function since it requires quite a bit of background.

Mr. Pink

10. MrPink

MrPink Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $65
    I have confirmed that the design should be done in May. I have a meeting planned out in mid-may (to view the design) and more importantly show the programmer how the program should function.

11. MrPink

MrPink Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $65
    I was able to meet with the programmer and knockout a lot of ideas. He thought the idea was promising and also brought in a designer to help with development.

It seems the programming end will not be as hard as originally thought which hopefully will lead to faster development (if we can use the existing programs). We sketched up the lay out and wrote out in detail two program updates that will greatly improve upon the existing software.

Issues:
    We are currently using open source programs that ideally will run within our program. We need to get permission to put those programs within ours. My worry is that the developers won't release the program or charge a very high fee for usage/distribution.

Finally, as we progress we need to look into protecting the idea so once it is release it is just not copied freely.

Does anyone have any experience using open source software developed by another party?
    Should I continue updating this thread? Hehehe.

Last edited: May 26, 2008
  12. MrPink

MrPink Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $65
    Expand?

The program development is moving along, but am considering expanding the idea.

The expansion would be into starting a website that not only has this computer program, which is in development, but a location that people can get other programs (I know of a couple that have not been released and would be helpful) and communicate (forum).

My worry is that by expanding, I will lose focus and not work on the program development - in contrast I am unsure if I can get permission to use the open source software from other companies, which in turn would make my computer program a 'waste' of time. Thoughts?

Mr. Pink

13. MrPink

MrPink Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $65
    The programmer lost his normal 9-5 job so has had to put the project on the back burner. I have been working on developing contacts to bring together multiple programs when the site is launched.

14. psynapse

psynapse Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $70
    There are definitely companies modifying open source and using it for commercial gain. One example is vTigerCRM, which utilizes SugarCRM's open source code.

15. Mrs. BRKb

Mrs. BRKb Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $5,109
    Mr. Pink, thank you for sharing this adventure
    with us.

It reads like a novel. The reader is left wondering
    what will happen next.

16. MrPink

MrPink Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $65
    Thanks for taking the time to drop me a line. I have been wondering if anyone has been interested in this thread.

The programmer has still not found a job and I have started thinking about getting someone new. I am thinking by the end of July having the initial release ready (which would have been six months since we initially talked). I have to admit this has been a great learning process!

Interesting to know others have had success in this area, psynapse, thanks.

17. ricerocket63

ricerocket63 New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $44
    I was just reading your thread, and had some thoughts..

On your project:
    I am not clear on the project, but sounds like your offering Data Conversion Services, based on your example given.

Are you targeting B2B or B2C, that would impact your packaging/service pricing etc. I believe B2C would be a lot of 1 time users, eg: "Hey, someone emailed me a pdf, can you convert to doc format?" I could be misunderstanding your concept though, just something to keep in mind.

On Open Source:
    You don't have to ask permission to use Open Source software, however, you DO have to abide by the license that is supplied with a particular
    piece of software and how you use it and/or distribute it, or modify and redistribute it. Any open source software will have a copy of the license for you to review the terms of use.

Many companies are using Open Source software, like Google, yahoo, etc, that make a lot of money with it, so it can be done.

Good Luck!
    B...

18. MrPink

MrPink Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $65
    I have been somewhat vague about the function of the program due to having a hard time getting going (as you can read above). The service would be B2C and would be a lot of 1 time uses, but very helpful. To use your example:

If you had something emailed to you as a pdf and you want it as a word doc.

Currently, you can easily convert from a pdf to a word doc in one step, but imagine if you had to do many conversions between each such as

pdf -> open office -> claris works -> word doc
    (this example shows a number of unneeded steps that waste time)

I have been talking with a number of programmers about open source, but feel that before the actual release need to sit down with an attorney. Does anyone know what type of an attorney would be best?

19. EComGuy

EComGuy Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $48
    My answer to that question.

Im currently writing an Ecommerce how-to from what worked for me and my 3 companies. You can check the thread out Here and I will be constantly adding new material.

I hope this is what you were looking for.

Best,

PerryC

MrPink likes this.
  20. MrPink

MrPink Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $65
    Thanks for the info PerryC! +rep

I just found out that my programmer is no longer able to work on the project due to losing his normal job. I think this creates an opportunity for me to take a fresh look about the project. I have learned a lot so far and am looking forward to pushing ahead.

21. PEERless

PEERless Bronze Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $92
    How is this different from Adobe Acrobat Reader?

22. MrPink

MrPink Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $65
    That was just a made up example

23. fanocks2003

fanocks2003 Banned

Rep Bank:
    $25
    Revenue model number 1 would be my number one choice. You can then easilly show the concept from a branding standpoint. You can have people signing up for 12 months and you will have reccuring revenue during 1 year. Then you find ways of getting the same people to sign up for another 12 months etc.

That kind of revenue model would have me sign up as an investor. Because then I can see that this concept has credibility. The next step would be the management, but just the brand promise would make me interested.

Renting the program is much better than selling it right of the bat (my view).

24. neverfastenough

neverfastenough Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $61
    MrPink,

Thanks for the consistent updates. It's been quite interesting hearing about your progress!

25. MrPink

MrPink Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $65
    Alright, I have started a different approach with this project since losing the computer programmer.

I decided to start a blog about the topic which is crystallography. I guess I don't have to worry about having a niche blog :)

My hope is that if I can generate interest in the blog then I will already have an audience to promote software in the future. Finally, I will be happy if the blog becomes self sufficient and ideally hit 100/month in 6 months. This is my first attempt at a blog so have been learning a lot, let me know your thoughts (other than needing more posts, hehe).

Macromolecule crystallography is used to determine the structure of proteins which is useful in understanding biochemical reactions. For example, pharmaceutical companies need to know the 3D structure of proteins if they want to inhibit (stop) a reaction from occurring.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.