The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Registration at the forum removes this block.

Facing a headwind

Anything related to matters of the mind

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014
I’ve read The Millionaire Fastlane 2.5 times and recently bought it on Audible so that I could listen to it while I was driving. I really like audiobooks since I can listen to them during times when I normally wouldn’t be able to stop and read. Every now and then something will jump out at me.

One of those things was his section on Escaping Environmental Headwinds (pg 176). He writes:

Another headwind could be your work environment. If your hated job drains the life out of you, it’s a headwind. After a long workday and you have nothing left for your dreams and your Fastlane plan, you’re done. The headwind keeps you trapped.

This is so much me. I work 12-hour shifts, two on, two off, every other three day weekend. I wake up at 5:15am and don’t get home until 7pm. The nature of the job wears me down and leaves my mental energy at an all-time low. My off days usually end up being mindless so I can recharge. And because I work every other weekend, when I do have a weekend off, they usually end up getting filled up fast with family plans. I have a 5mo old baby who goes to sleep early so on days I’m working, I’m lucky to see her for about 5-10 minutes before I have to go to work. She’s already sleeping by the time I get home.

The 12-hour shifts generally result in waking up early, working all day, getting home and making dinner for my wife and me, getting ready for the next day, and maybe a half hour to myself before going to bed so I can get enough sleep for the next day. Essentially, the days you work, the work becomes your day – even worse on the three day weekend.

The interesting thing is that a couple years ago I went to two training courses that were two weeks long each scheduled from 8am to 4pm. Being able to sleep in a couple hours extra and then get home at a reasonable time feeling like I still had the opportunity to take advantage of the day was so amazing. I had so much more energy and was in a better mood.

Now, I just feel so wiped out constantly. Some days it’s hard to get up and get started.

The things keeping me where I am is the fact that I get paid really well for what I do, I have benefits for my family, a pension after retirement (still 20 years away if I make it that long) while I’m still ‘younger’ (55), and the unfortunate fact that I built up my lifestyle around my income, plus, the time commitment of “Years of Service.” I’m not in a position where I can jump from job to job. It’s pretty much a one stop shop until retirement.

It feels like the “golden handcuffs” are on a little too tight right now, but I’m so tired all the time and the more frustrated I get, the more I realize how much it’s affecting my mood and attitude at home.

My reason for posting this isn’t to have the forum make life decisions for me (I know the rule), it’s just to seek advice on how to get my head sorted out. My heart says I need to get out of my current job, my brain is telling me getting another “job” is not the answer. I am under the assumption that trying to find another job will require a big pay cut, but it may be temporary if it gives me the ability to start a Fastlane business without being tired all the time.

I appreciate your time and any advice or follow-up questions.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Fotis

Bronze Contributor
LEGACY MEMBER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Feb 26, 2014
How about focusing on your diet? I have clients in a similar position, and when we fix their diet habits (along with some supplements) they are much better off. They are not entrepreneurs, but have more energy and their mood improves a lot.

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Did I read it correctly that you're 55 and have 20 years to go for a pension?

If that is correct, what would you estimate your pension to be. I've known people that have $50 a month, $500 a month, and $3,000 a month pensions, so they are definitely not all the same. By the way, the low $50 one was for a "secure" state government job that was a nurse - not something like a lowly mail clerk.

Become a Fastlane Member Today to Read More or Comment.

This thread has
more posts!

Join MJ DeMarco's Inner Circle and Rub Shoulders with Other Millionaire Entrepreneurs

Imagine a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been the driving force of Fastlane, contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With over 38,000 posts game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve freedom. Join 90,000+ members and access a vast library of 1,000,000+ posts from entrepreneurs worldwide.

Fastlane isn’t just another community led by an absent guru. By joining, you enter MJ’s inner circle—a supportive home where you’re never alone. Embrace true mentorship and transform your entrepreneurial journey with the Fastlane Forum.

Basic Membership (Monthly)

• Read all threads in the main forums/categories.
  • Post comments in existing topics.
  • React to any comment/post.
  • Sort big threads by best posts.
  • Cancel anytime

$5 per month

Join Now

Basic Membership (Yearly)

• Save 22% vs monthly
  • Read all threads in the main forums/categories.
  • Post comments in existing topics.
  • React to any comment/post.
  • Sort big threads by best posts.
  • 30% Off a Yearly GoalSumo.com Subscription
  • Cancel anytime

$47 per year

Join Now

VIP Insider Membership

• Same as basic plus...
  • Guaranteed read and response from MJ DeMarco*
  • Access to the private Insider forum for more advanced users.
  • Bookmark any posts
  • No non-sponsor ads
  • 50% Off a Yearly GoalSumo.com Subscription ($34 Value)

$119.88 per year

Join Now

* If you post any question or problem within the INSIDER forum, this guarantees MJ will read and respond to your post to the best of his ability at least one time. This guarantee does not imply a lifetime dialogue or a personal ongoing mentorship. Again, MJ has authored more than 38,000 responses at this forum since 2007.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.