The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Facebook CPC suggested bid INSANELY high. Why?

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
Post screen shots of one of your ads and your targeting and we'll be better able to tell where you are going wrong.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

eTox

Expect success, but prepare to fail.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
May 21, 2016
Toronto
Post screen shots of one of your ads and your targeting and we'll be better able to tell where you are going wrong.

Here are a few screen shots

Screen Shot 2016-06-28 at 10.32.51 AM.png Screen Shot 2016-06-28 at 10.38.16 AM.png Screen Shot 2016-06-28 at 10.38.31 AM.png

What I realized is that
  • I should improve my facebook sales copy. It seems too salesy and not focusing on the customer need
  • I was not focusing on the customer and completely neglected their point of view. I realized as @JoeB mentioned, as a motorcycle fan myself, I would not likely buy these gloves as they do not mention anything about safety, durability, comfort, etc. My ideal customer (biker with some money) would purchase a well known brand for the same money instead of these. But the customers I should be targeting are 3d world countries like india taiwan and russia where there are many riders who aren't particularly worried about brands, they just want something cheap. But then thats a whole different story.
  • My website does not look like trustworthy at all. It is all over the place. I my self would not trust one like that. A huge fail. I need to improve that.
  • Also, I am not offering any value. I am self focused and care only about my pocket. The shipping is 2-4 weeks. US and Canadian customers aren't used to that. A huge fail there.
There just feels so many wrong things with this. I am struggling to paddle through all of the shit I encountered, however, I am happy I have learned a lot.

Thank you.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
Add more targeting... build the audience size at least 200k.

Target your competitors in that niche... i.e other online retailers that sell the same things as you.

Create custom audience from the people that land on your website and the people that visit your checkout page.

Create look a like audience from the people that hit your checkout page (you need at least 100 people to create LL-audience).

Like someone else said, your ad kind looks boring and ad. Try finding a cool biker related picture and add your gloves to picture (added layer).

I'd personally just use a normal link with image ad (instead of carousel ad). And test different images and killing those that have low CTR.

Then test copy and kill those that have low CTR too.

Also, I'd be running a conversions campaign instead of clicks to website.

Auto bid is normally cheaper... though sometimes with manual bid (clicks to website) it can be cheaper bid $0.10+ over the maximum recommended bid.

Also, when ever possible... target just mobiles - they will be much cheaper. But if you can't then only desktop news feed and mobile news feed (never right hand side or audience network).

Last edited:

MisterBHZ

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Dec 10, 2013
Memphis, TN
The ad copy makes no difference on FB. I've tested several variations on 100s of campaigns.

It's your landing page that converts the prospect into a customer. Focus on your product page copy.

Prospects want reassurances: How long will delivery take? Is this website safe? Can I talk to someone first?

Answer these questions to improve your conversion rate and make some sales.
I just refreshed my entire site because of this. Ran several different ads getting significant traffic over the course of 6 months with minimal sales. Couldn't understand. Then realized it was probably my site. Took action and made the change now its time to jump back in the water.

Thanks for the post.

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
I have a friend who kills ANY ad that doesn't trigger a conversion after 2 days. He doesn't care about CPM, CTR or any of that. Whilst I agree that the sole purpose of FB ads is to take a prospect onto your site - it's not the full picture.

I test most ads for at least 3-7 days. Over time, you will find that they behave differently and that's down to human behaviour (we browse more on the weekends), FB playing up or a bunch of other things (less buyer behaviour on a Monday).

I think a new product/service/niche needs at least 3 days to settle with $30-$50 per ad set. That's how I do it.

shubham525

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jul 16, 2015
India
I cannot understand why my Cost Per Click is always around the ballpark of $3-$20 bid range. I have tried targeting various niches but no results.

I am still stuck at the ads manager desperately trying to find lower CPC suggested bids.

This is insane. :headbanger:

Does anyone have any suggestions? What may I be doing wrong?

Thank you.
Are you doing campaign without a facebook page ?

eTox

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
May 21, 2016
Toronto
Are you doing campaign without a facebook page ?

I got it resolved, I just ran the ad with a 10 budget for a day on auto-bid and it averaged around $1.5 per click

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Things are f*cked up again on FB since 2-3 days ago when they changed sth in the bidding algorithm. Ah fun times. Never a dull day when you run fb ads on higher volume.

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
Things are f*cked up again on FB since 2-3 days ago when they changed sth in the bidding algorithm. Ah fun times. Never a dull day when you run fb ads on higher volume.

I track everything and FB went belly up around the 3rd week of Feb 2016 for us.

It hasn't been steady at all since. To give you an example, on the 13th of July - we made $900 revenue off $85 ad spend on one store. The next day sales dropped and that's unheard of for a Friday.

My US ads just die after a few days. Non-US markets are better right now.

eTox

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
May 21, 2016
Toronto
F*ck F*ck F*ck!!! I love you guys!

F*cking finally!!!! I got it! I got the feeling that I finally realized how this epic ad targeting works!

Shit $0.20 per click. F*ck! I love it. Gone those $3 clicks!

Sorry for the emotions!

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
What did you do to get $0.20 :)

So happy for ya!

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
F*ck F*ck F*ck!!! I love you guys!

F*cking finally!!!! I got it! I got the feeling that I finally realized how this epic ad targeting works!

Shit $0.20 per click. F*ck! I love it. Gone those $3 clicks!

Sorry for the emotions!

You know better than to post this without the process! I wanna know!

Mac

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Feb 10, 2015
Set it to automatic bidding. If the CPC's are high, that means you're either not targeting the right people and are getting low quality scores... or... your ad copy isn't pulling in any clicks.

Most of my campaigns are getting clicks at around 13 cents with automatic bidding. At first the cost is around $1.00 but within two days it usually plummets fast.

eTox

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
May 21, 2016
Toronto
Set it to automatic bidding. If the CPC's are high, that means you're either not targeting the right people and are getting low quality scores... or... your ad copy isn't pulling in any clicks.

Most of my campaigns are getting clicks at around 13 cents with automatic bidding. At first the cost is around $1.00 but within two days it usually plummets fast.

This is exactly the secret sauce that I have figured out today. Targeting the right people and serving them the ad they would like to see with a good enough copy for them to click through. The automatic bidding does it's job too.

Mind you, I still have no sales, so I am deep in masturbation stuff lol... I'll be sure to post the whole process once I get consistent good quality low-cost clicks and a steady flow of sales.

:happy::spititout:

Last edited:

MisterBHZ

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Dec 10, 2013
Memphis, TN
This is exactly the secret sauce that I have figured out today. Targeting the right people and serving them the ad they would like to see with a good enough copy for them to click through. The automatic bidding does it's job too.

Mind you, I still have no sales, so I am deep in masturbation stuff lol... I'll be sure to post the whole process once I get consistent good quality low-cost clicks and a steady flow of sales.

:happy::spititout:
Have you seen any sales since you got your CPC under control?

Mineralogic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jul 28, 2014
did anyone see PG start making waves about potentially tweaking maybe dumping facebook ads? they are not working for PG one of the first to latch on to zuckerterd

eTox

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
May 21, 2016
Toronto
Have you seen any sales since you got your CPC under control?

Nope, I didn't spend much more on it, as I was getting the wrong cheap clicks. 120 clicks and $17 and were all useless. My targeting was off. I changed the targeting and got a sale. Check out my thread, the explanation is there.

Though I did ran another ad, from one I got a sale, there my cpc went from $1.5 to $0.75 in just one day. More time is needed, and I was only playing with $5. I made mistakes on it though, and got 2 clicks at $6.

What I hate about Facebook, is when you don't understand it well, you burn money like crazy, even if you are at $5 budgets... imagine it scaled?

I'll try again, and post back.

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
I have some ads on 6 cent CPCs but I don't really care about that.

I use a simple money in vs money out formula. At the end of the day, you're paying for CPM anyway.

eTox

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
May 21, 2016
Toronto
I have some ads on 6 cent CPCs but I don't really care about that.

I use a simple money in vs money out formula. At the end of the day, you're paying for CPM anyway.

Does this mean you are setting them up as CPM instead of CPC?

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
Does this mean you are setting them up as CPM instead of CPC?

I've tested manual CPC bidding and didn't get anywhere. I only bid for impressions now but it doesn't matter how you slice the cake. FB charges you for impressions (CPM).

If you want a CPC bidding system you need Adwords.

eTox

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
May 21, 2016
Toronto
I've tested manual CPC bidding and didn't get anywhere. I only bid for impressions now but it doesn't matter how you slice the cake. FB charges you for impressions (CPM).

How do you determine how much to bid for the impressions. Could you please share the process behind it: how you would come up with the numbers and set up the ad?

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
How do you determine how much to bid for the impressions. Could you please share the process behind it: how you would come up with the numbers and set up the ad?

I let FB do it automatically. The biggest niches will be more expensive because you're fighting with other marketers so expect to pay more.

You can try setting manual bids too. I was doing well with that last year.

It's all about testing. No two ad accounts are the same. I know this because I've duped my friend's campaigns and we got different results. The same ads running to the same pages.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
518%
May 29, 2013
I let FB do it automatically. The biggest niches will be more expensive because you're fighting with other marketers so expect to pay more.

It's all about testing. No two ad accounts are the same. I know this because I've duped my friend's campaigns and we got different results. The same ads running to the same pages.

And no 2 exact ads in the same account/campaign at FB are the same.

I go over this in my INSIDERS post in my sig.

G

GuestUser450

You've said this a few times now. Can you share your testing that led to this oversimplification? If not, you should preface with what you're optimizing for and the funnel you're using to capture that action (cpc = cpm when optimizing for x, to a dropshipped shopify store selling y, etc.)

So... both and neither and also all options are viable, dependent on testing; which doesn't matter because fb always regresses to the mean except when it serves unique results?

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
You've said this a few times now. Can you share your testing that led to this oversimplification? If not, you should preface with what you're optimizing for and the funnel you're using to capture that action (cpc = cpm when optimizing for x, to a dropshipped shopify store selling y, etc.)

So... both and neither and also all options are viable, dependent on testing; which doesn't matter because fb always regresses to the mean except when it serves unique results?

Heading to dinner. Will update when I get back. It's not that hard once you build in a process.

eTox

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
May 21, 2016
Toronto
Heading to dinner. Will update when I get back. It's not that hard once you build in a process.

I would be wonderful to hear more from you on this topic as I am curious a lot as well. You've gone through it already, and perhaps if you spill a little more words on the page explaining with a bit more detail would benefit others (including absolute noobs like me) from wasting a stash of cash on errors.

Thank you :)

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
OK so I sell on Shopify stores. It's all dropship with a few custom wholesale pieces.

I send all my traffic to the main store. It's direct marketing.

When I'm looking to sell anything, the first task is to research my audience. FB is great for this since people are happy to tell you. Plus there's Audience Insights where FB is giving you their data on a plate. Go research the pages, demographics, similar likes etc. You can do this for any country. Since FB owns IG, I use this data on both platforms.

I always bid on CPM and optimize for website conversions. I have done manual bidding in the past and it was working but not so well with the new pixel. That's been my experience but try it on your account. You can test 1 vs 7 day conversion windows now too. I'm finding that 1 day is better.

I think that answers everything.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.