The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Facebook ads to test market?

Marketing, social media, advertising

Itsmeantonios

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
May 28, 2020
Canada
I have a product idea but I have no idea if anyone wants it. All I know is that it doesn't exist, or, at least I can't find it easily. It's not a new product, but an improvement on an existing one.

Is doing a test facebook ad campaign for my product a good way to see if there's any interest? I don't know how to use that platform but I will learn it if it's a good way to find out if there's a market for my idea. I'm looking at the screen for the ad campaign right now and don't understand if I would want Conversion or Traffic or Engagement or what, but I can learn. I don't have a website or anything. I just want to find out if anyone would be interested in my product...if they are, then I would build a facebook page, a basic website to sell the product, have it on amazon, etc. After being sure I can actually build the thing lol.

Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

OverByte

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
May 18, 2014
Canada
You have to send them somewhere from your facebook ad... Can you create a landing page describing the product? Then you can send them there and see if they join an email list to be notified when ready or get updates about the product development (sounds like you'd be developing the product?). If you can do that you could run traffic objective to get clicks and see how many people show interest. This is a tough road though if you don't actually have a product yet, you'd have to paint a pretty compelling picture to get people to sign up for a notification, like showing a mock of the final product and basically completing a product listing with a disabled buy button and indicating the product is "coming soon" and signup to get an early bird discount or something. If you pitch it like some vague idea don't bother sending traffic to the site.

There is a section in unscripted about soft validation that gives some techniques.

Itsmeantonios

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
May 28, 2020
Canada
You have to send them somewhere from your facebook ad... Can you create a landing page describing the product? Then you can send them there and see if they join an email list to be notified when ready or get updates about the product development (sounds like you'd be developing the product?). If you can do that you could run traffic objective to get clicks and see how many people show interest. This is a tough road though if you don't actually have a product yet, you'd have to paint a pretty compelling picture to get people to sign up for a notification, like showing a mock of the final product and basically completing a product listing with a disabled buy button and indicating the product is "coming soon" and signup to get an early bird discount or something. If you pitch it like some vague idea don't bother sending traffic to the site.

There is a section in unscripted about soft validation that gives some techniques.

Right! The soft validation section. I'll need to reread that.

It's a physical product that I actually have no idea how I would get it mass produced, though as I mentioned it's just a modification so maybe instead of building a whole product I could just build my modification.

I can easily enough build a prototype out of store bought materials though for proof of concept. No idea about actual commercial production though. Deal with that when I get there I guess.

Is there not a way to use Facebook ads that would just have it create an email list of everyone who clicks on the ad or something just to give me proof of interest or sales leads? I'm still looking into it...I could design an ad easily enough I think, but a website idk. I think stuff like Wix and others create a site super fast and easy but if it's expensive....I don't know.

jmin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
May 30, 2020
United Kingdom
Right! The soft validation section. I'll need to reread that.

It's a physical product that I actually have no idea how I would get it mass produced, though as I mentioned it's just a modification so maybe instead of building a whole product I could just build my modification.

I can easily enough build a prototype out of store bought materials though for proof of concept. No idea about actual commercial production though. Deal with that when I get there I guess.

Is there not a way to use Facebook ads that would just have it create an email list of everyone who clicks on the ad or something just to give me proof of interest or sales leads? I'm still looking into it...I could design an ad easily enough I think, but a website idk. I think stuff like Wix and others create a site super fast and easy but if it's expensive....I don't know.

You could run lead generation ads just to get user information. But with a product, people might want to see more details about the product before providing any information. A simple landing page wouldn't be a bad idea.

Have you considered Kickstarter? That could be a good way to gauge demand without actually moving into product development. You could run ads which direct people to the Kickstarter page.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Doing a test FB campaign is a great way to see if there's a market.

Keep it simple: choose your smallest viable audience, and run an ad with the strongest possible promise.

Use your landing page to collect emails, or run a presale page where you cut them off before checkout saying that the product is not yet available. Then collect their email. Gauge demand based on email submit rate. Calculate how much you could make if you could convert 1%, 2%, 5%, 10%, or 20% of the people who submit their email, and based on that, you should know if your offer is likely to be profitable.

Testing an idea really isn't complicated: you just have to be willing to (1) spend money and (2) hear feedback.

And you don't need much money to do this. Enough for maybe 200-300 clicks. That's a few hundred bucks at most but that is money VERY WELL SPENT on interacting with your market for real.

Tips to not waste money: 1) optimize for the email submit not for link clicks; 2) make an ad that catches people's attention with the visual and piques interest with the copy.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.