The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

F*ck Goals. Build habits

Anything related to matters of the mind

Hai

Beauty is Truth
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Jan 1, 2015
So you had that grand goal to make X amount of money by XXX, X amount of customers by XXX or have that perfect product by XXX?
You created that rigid plan to reach that fantasy goal(which you created arbitrarily out of thin air) and stick to it no matter what?
Then you didn´t reach that goal and felt miserable?

F*ck goals.
Enter habits.
Habits have no outcome-dependency.
You have control over are your habits.

Here are two habits that I´m forming

1) To work on a personal project whenever possible(this keeps me sane and fulfills my WHY, you can start now as well, no reason to wait)

2) To learn and practice a new skill every day(this helps increase employability, helps pay the bills)

Both habits have no set goal, so there is no stress. You just do. It´s the only thing you really have control over. You can´t force an outcome. It happens naturally.
This creates flexibility in your plans as well.

Notice that habits helps you achieve things without having to discriminate against certain actions.
What I mean is that, just because you are working on your fastlane project doesn´t mean you can´t have another habit that helps you pay the bills.
The ego goes out the window as well.

Build effective habits that move you forward.
And you won´t feel pressured to having to reach that goal. You are allowed to relax.
That´s all.

P.S.: I really suck at writing, so sorry if any part is strange to read. This happens often with my threads :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Good concept, I like it

S.Y.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 4, 2017
Canada
Goals are still important. They give you a sense of direction and a point of focus.

Taking your example #2, practicing a skill everyday:
- Your goal is to increase your employability. Practicing everyday is the system you use to achieve that goal.
- and that goal helps you find which skill to practice

James clear has a great article on that.

And also, goals don't have to be rigid. If I get enough feedback to justify dropping a goal. I drop it and set a new one based on the feedback.

Think of achieving things has a four part unit:
- vision: what do you want to achieve?
- purpose: why?
- identity: who should be become to achieve that?
- system: How will you achieve it?

kleine2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Sep 15, 2013
So you had that grand goal to make X amount of money by XXX, X amount of customers by XXX or have that perfect product by XXX?
You created that rigid plan to reach that fantasy goal(which you created arbitrarily out of thin air) and stick to it no matter what?
Then you didn´t reach that goal and felt miserable?

F*ck goals.
Enter habits.
Habits have no outcome-dependency.
You have control over are your habits.

Here are two habits that I´m forming

1) To work on a personal project whenever possible(this keeps me sane and fulfills my WHY, you can start now as well, no reason to wait)

2) To learn and practice a new skill every day(this helps increase employability, helps pay the bills)

Both habits have no set goal, so there is no stress. You just do. It´s the only thing you really have control over. You can´t force an outcome. It happens naturally.
This creates flexibility in your plans as well.

Notice that habits helps you achieve things without having to discriminate against certain actions.
What I mean is that, just because you are working on your fastlane project doesn´t mean you can´t have another habit that helps you pay the bills.
The ego goes out the window as well.

Build effective habits that move you forward.
And you won´t feel pressured to having to reach that goal. You are allowed to relax.
That´s all.

P.S.: I really suck at writing, so sorry if any part is strange to read. This happens often with my threads :)
Yes and no. Assuming your goal is to make $x within 3 months. You might not have complete control over that outcome, but there are things that you do have control over which can directly lead you to a high likelihood of achieving the desired outcome.
For example, I make 10 sales calls a day for the next 3 months. Each sale is worth $y. I know that on average 3% of sales calls convert, so I am set to reach my goal by creating the right PROJECTS to reach it (and under those projects I will create habits).

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MaxKhalus

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 7, 2018
Spain
"1) To work on a personal project whenever possible(this keeps me sane and fulfills my WHY, you can start now as well, no reason to wait)

2) To learn and practice a new skill every day(this helps increase employability, helps pay the bills) "

What skill?
For how long?
What is a "project" for you?
"Whenever possible." You mean "Priorities?"

Habits start small. If you set those two, I assume you must be able to execute them perfectly without skipping a single day. Just like that, it sounds Shallow and overly simplistic.

I've seen dozens of guys posting like that every week. And there's a reason they all abandon their threads.

Hai

Beauty is Truth
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Jan 1, 2015
The point is, are you just chasing a fantasy?
If after several years you dont make progress, maybe you dont want to follow the process towards your "dream goal" after all.

I found it much better just focus on what you are willing to do, moving forward every day organically. Focusing on improving habits and systems.
Rigid goals can be too rigid.
Its like doing something once to reach that goal once(the process is painful and you dont really like it), but an organic system allows you to repeat it effortlessly(the process is not painful because you trust the system and you are not dependent on a rigid outcome).

1. have a goal
2. develop habits and a system
3. forget the goal
4. trust the system(just do it)
5. improve the system(constant pivots)
6. since you have habits and a system your goal will be reached "on the go", you wont even notive that youve reached it because you are just focused on your habits(you hear a lot of successful people talk about it;
Ed Sheeran said not everyone who planned to be famous became famous. He solely focused on doing and being famous just happened.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.