The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Every Single Time I Think I'm Getting Somewhere...

A post of a ranting nature...

Castillo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Mar 8, 2016
Vancouver, BC
I've been trying to find a niche for e-com for a while now and everytime I get close to finding one, I find that the niche is either overpopulated, or prices are so low that I can't find a supplier to even make profits off of. What am I doing wrong?!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine
I've been trying to find a niche for e-com for a while now and everytime I get close to finding one, I find that the niche is either overpopulated, or prices are so low that I can't find a supplier to even make profits off of. What am I doing wrong?!
More than likely you are approaching this wrong. You'll want to search through the niches and see if you can find where people are complaining about something and fix it. Fill a need. Be the one to solve the problem. Overpopulation is not a bad thing. It's a good thing. It's your target market. Find a way to solve their problem. Good luck!

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
May 21, 2011

Find an extremely disgusting or boring industry, chances are your looking at "glamorous" industries that everyone wants to be in.

maxwellc

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jan 23, 2016
Find an extremely disgusting or boring industry, chances are your looking at "glamorous" industries that everyone wants to be in.

This is true like clothes and jewellery and such. What is a boring or disgusting industry? Like toilet paper holders? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
This is true like clothes and jewellery and such. What is a boring or disgusting industry? Like toilet paper holders? Lol

My plastic toilet handle broke. I had to reach inside the water in the back to get the pieces out.

Tried to swap in a handle from the spare bathroom. Couldn't get that handle loose.

So now I was grossed out and pissed off. Going to buy a new handle later. Will probably search Google & shop Amazon first.

Will look for something durable that comes on and off with ease but not too easy.

It won't be gold or platinum but it won't be plastic either.

I'll buy the one with real reviews that fits my needs and my specific style of toilet.

And if it is Star Wars Dark Side themed...that might get preference.

Polarbeans

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Nov 18, 2014

This is the perfect answer:
More than likely you are approaching this wrong. You'll want to search through the niches and see if you can find where people are complaining about something and fix it. Fill a need. Be the one to solve the problem. Overpopulation is not a bad thing. It's a good thing. It's your target market. Find a way to solve their problem. Good luck!

And how do you do this?
My plastic toilet handle broke. I had to reach inside the water in the back to get the pieces out.

Tried to swap in a handle from the spare bathroom. Couldn't get that handle loose.

So now I was grossed out and pissed off. Going to buy a new handle later. Will probably search Google & shop Amazon first.

Will look for something durable that comes on and off with ease but not too easy.

I'll buy the one with real reviews that fits my needs and my specific style of toilet.

I know a course that is called Amazing Seller or something (Don't buy it!) that is teaching EXACTLY what @Rem and @SinisterLex just told you :)

You want to make people your business, not your product.

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium

Not sure what would be a better product:

A Star Wars Dark Side Themed toilet handle?

Or a tool to take fallen stuff out of the toilet to keep your hands clean?

Castillo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Mar 8, 2016
Vancouver, BC

See this kind of thinking... How do you get into this type of mind set? Does it just come naturally to you eventually?

TKDTyler

The Tea Guy
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
347%
Aug 25, 2014
See this kind of thinking... How do you get into this type of mind set? Does it just come naturally to you eventually?

Try focusing on Need key phrases

"I wish there was"
"Why can't this do"
"How come there isn't"
"This is annoying"
"There should be a way to"
Any complaint
etc...

From that point, transform any negative thought into a business opportunity. Most negative statements are needs and opportunities in disguise. It's up to you to interpret them correctly.

The more you tune your hearing to pick out those phrases, the more ideas that will come to your head.

Try carrying a book around for a week and write down every complaint that you hear someone talk about. After the week is over, go back and change those complaints into opportunities.

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
May 21, 2011

Trash removal, portable toilets, etc...

Azure

Perpetual Motion
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Mar 12, 2016
You're approaching it the wrong way.

Find a problem then work backward to fix it. If you can't find people complaining about shit, you must not talk to any people.

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
My guess is you're thinking too much, stop worrying about which niche suits you best, and start solving people's problems.

TKDTyler

The Tea Guy
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
347%
Aug 25, 2014
My guess is you're thinking too much, stop worrying about which niche suits you best, and start solving people's problems.

Along with this, find a niche that you think you can make $0.00 in.

Free experience is the best experience.

My first 3 products failed and I was in the hole.

Don't be afraid to fail. Failing in the real world is still cheaper than going to college ;)

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas

Just start something - anything.

I love this quote:

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
You're failing because you went backwards:

I find that the niche is either overpopulated, or prices are so low that I can't find a supplier to even make profits off of.

You care about overpopulation because it makes it harder for YOU. You care about supply costs because it makes it harder for YOU. Find a niche that makes something easier for THEM. Even if doing it is really hard for you.

Vicarious suffering is a great way to make money. The more it hurts you to solve the need, the more other people are likely to pay for it.

Last edited:

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

Please tell us the niches that you have come close to finding.

thinkandgrowrich

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Nov 29, 2016
Many successful people have stated that the most difficult times they have experienced in life was right before they started seeing success.

You're getting closer man, keep going and as generic as it sounds do not give up.

Find a way to give people what they want or need, make their lives easier, it doesn't have to be pretty or cool.

Good luck.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States

There are 370 Million products on Amazon.

95e0460f4dcf8ff812080c91e6bd797d.png

People are making money selling the overwhelming majority of these products.

Higher competition = lower prices. If you can't move the volume, you won't get the special pricing from the supplier, and you can't compete.

Look at lower volume products, and you'll find some with higher prices. Then multiply that by more products and you have yourself a business. You can always search around on Amazon setting price filters too. So, only searching for products over $75, or whatever amount.

Here's a product with 3 results and 2 competitors. That's competition-free, no-stress, money. And look, there's only one ppc ad running. You could easily get the number one ad spot, for around $0.05 a click:

screencapture_amazon_s_ref_nb_sb_noss_2_14811218.png

Castillo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Mar 8, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Please tell us the niches that you have come close to finding.

LED Light bars that you put on trucks, and dog coats (I live in a city where it rains ALL the time)

There are 370 Million products on Amazon.

95e0460f4dcf8ff812080c91e6bd797d.png

People are making money selling the overwhelming majority of these products.

Higher competition = lower prices. If you can't move the volume, you won't get the special pricing from the supplier, and you can't compete.

Look at lower volume products, and you'll find some with higher prices. Then multiply that by more products and you have yourself a business. You can always search around on Amazon setting price filters too. So, only searching for products over $75, or whatever amount.

Here's a product with 3 results and 2 competitors. That's competition-free, no-stress, money. And look, there's only one ppc ad running. You could easily get the number one ad spot, for around $0.05 a click:

screencapture_amazon_s_ref_nb_sb_noss_2_14811218.png

Do you just look up random names to find these type of things? lol

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
find that the niche is either overpopulated, or prices are so low that I can't find a supplier to even make profits off of. What am I doing wrong?!
There's various ways to go about it. You can look for high volume industries and try to improve upon them and capture that sweet traffic and hope to stay on top. Frankly, I'm somewhat jealous of the numbers these people put up if they do it correctly.

Or you can approach it different way. Look where people aren't looking. Dig into the trenches and find an underserved niche / need. Create a product that they would want but didn't know they were searching for. Put forth a lot of effort, get some sales going, work on word of mouth marketing, and get your products on the shelves of retailers one at a time. It's not sexy, it's not quick Amazon money, but a quick iteration by someone else on Amazon isn't going to destroy you.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
Do you just look up random names to find these type of things? lol

I love browsing randomly on Amazon. Go to the very lowest sub-categories and you find a lot of neat stuff.

I spent 10 minutes and found another product. Here's what I did:

Did a blank search of "[]"

Clicked on the following categories: Health & Household --> Medical Supplies & Equipment --> Funeral

I saw some urns, so I searched "memorial urn"

I saw a pet urn, so I searched "pet memorial urn"

I saw a pet memorial wind chime, so I search "pet memorial wind chime"

I saw a dog collar garden stone, so I searched "pet collar garden stone"

There are only two relevant products that match this search term. Jungle Scout estimates this product is selling 32 a month.

e6568ee232647df9a66f095da98be7e4.png

So basically, I try to find the most specific sub-niche I can. When I find an interesting product, I want to find a more specific version of that product or find unique interesting related products that have very few offerings. The more specific you get, the less competition that you'll have.

Castillo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Mar 8, 2016
Vancouver, BC
I love browsing randomly on Amazon. Go to the very lowest sub-categories and you find a lot of neat stuff.

Clicked on the following categories: Health & Household --> Medical Supplies & Equipment --> Funeral

There are only two relevant products that match this search term. Jungle Scout estimates this product is selling 32 a month.

So basically, I try to find the most specific sub-niche I can. When I find an interesting product, I want to find a more specific version of that product or find unique interesting related products that have very few offerings. The more specific you get, the less competition that you'll have.

This is crazy helpful information. I really didn't know how to verify how they sell or how many they sell like that. That Jungle Scout is really cool. Kind of out of my price range to pay a year up front at this time though.. Do you know of any alternatives that are just as good?

Invictus

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Apr 6, 2016
Louisiana

+Rep for step-by-step instruction.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
This is crazy helpful information. I really didn't know how to verify how they sell or how many they sell like that. That Jungle Scout is really cool. Kind of out of my price range to pay a year up front at this time though.. Do you know of any alternatives that are just as good?

Not that I endorse Jungle Scout, which I do not. But, If you can't afford to pay Jungle Scout fees how were you going to afford buying any inventory?

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
Do you know what a mind map is? If not, google it.

You can use mapping like this to find a niche, or a need.

For amp0193's products he lists, it might look like this:
(hard to draw a mind map using text, so forgive me)

Specialty urns-->necklace urns, bracelet urns
I
Funeral-->memorial urn-->pet memorial urn
I
Pets
I I
Dogs Cats
I I
Collars Feeding supplies

I'm doing a mind map for real estate in my area right now, and I think I identified a need. Now I just have to see if there is a market for it. It works.

Edit:

Ok, that map doesn't look anything like what I typed, but google it and you'll figure it out haha

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States

Get the lite Jungle Scout chrome app for $97. It's a one time fee. You don't need the web app. The pro is even better at $197 if you can afford it. It breaks down the amazon fees and spits out the net income from that product. Seriously, it saves hours and hours of time, if you're doing a lot of product research.

Unicorn Smasher is free, and basically does the same thing. It's not as good.

Neither is a replacement for trying to sell the product and seeing how it goes. The tools can give you an idea though. BSRs from 1-1000 and BSRs greater than 50,000 can have highly inaccurate estimates. I find JS to fairly accurately represent sales on my products that are in between 1,000 and 50,000 BSR.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
Edit:

Ok, that map doesn't look anything like what I typed, but google it and you'll figure it out haha

If you click "reply" to your post, the quoted text in this reply box displays your little text picture appropriately. He's got a descending family tree, basically.

And yes, this is pretty much exactly what I do.

For each of those searches above, I also looked at dog/cat/horse specific search terms as well. However, for the product I landed on, "Pet" was specific enough.

Every word you add to the search term makes your product more specific and more unique.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.