The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Entry sales job or why I hate engineering

Vadim26

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
Nov 23, 2018
Vancouver, BC.
A bit of a RANT here, but also hoping to get advice.

---
I graduated from mechanical engineering program and have been in the field for 2 years so far.

I dislike work environment a lot. 8 hour office day doing CAD design isn't something that makes jump from bed in the morning to go to work or merely excited. My colleagues are all old and retiring soon - can't make many friends there as well.

There isn't much human interaction, beside your boss giving you shit for asking normal questions, when you only had 2 years of experience and not 20. Work is repetitive.

I had my first job while still in school doing basic CAD drafting. Now I am in the design department, where we build various stuff for grocery stores.

It's interesting from time to time, and my current business venture is a physical product, where my expertise will be a great asset.

I have hard time focusing on a business (at home, alone) after work day in such environment.

Many have suggested on the forum that sales is the best job to get for aspiring entrepreneurs and I've also slobbered over this career path for many reasons.
---

How to break into sales with the experience that I have? Preferably technical
My resume is filled with engineering stuff on how I designed or built projects.

What other jobs can you suggest where office drudgery is minimal?

Note: the job has to be technical

technical jobs and skilled trades that usually call for a college diploma or training as an apprentice, such as:
  • chefs
  • plumbers
  • electricians
  • OR technical sales

I am on a work visa in Canada, and can only be working technical jobs to gain work experience for PR (permanent resident)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
An immediate thought of mine is that your company must be winning contracts.

So how are those contracts coming in?

And more to the point who is doing the sale bit?

That would be my first port of call.

Especially as you mention the workforce is aging.

What are the owners future plans?

Do you have this info?

Makes it easier to suggest what to do if you have.

Dan

MB2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Sep 20, 2016
A Tiny island down the ocean (Ceylon)
Don't complain fellow fastlaner

Find solutions.

Always focus on solutions

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
go to the boss and let them know you would like to help on proposals and help them win and sell work. you appreciate the experience you have received and would like to be a larger part in helping the company make money.

[i run an engineering firm]

ButchSchlong

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
May 26, 2019
Knutsford, UK
Have you considered freelance CAD work as an interim step? You’d need to sell your own capability to prospective clients.
Not sure of the arrangements in Canada but In the UK contract designers / CAD work is more lucrative and you are a bit more your own master.

Just a thought to give you a bit more headroom?

Vadim26

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
Nov 23, 2018
Vancouver, BC.
Thanks for reply everyone, I truly appreciate it.

go to the boss and let them know you would like to help on proposals and help them win and sell work. you appreciate the experience you have received and would like to be a larger part in helping the company make money.

I am having talk with CEO tomorrow regarding salary. I will bring this up, but there’s not any open positions in sales dep

Champion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 12, 2019
Hamburg, Germany
Hey,

Im a chemical engineer that graduated 9 months ago. Immediately after graduation, I started a job working in Sales (Mixture of Engineering & Sales).

The job was fun, but I quit it 3 weeks ago because I cant deal with the contact I make with the chemicals, its super unhealthy in my opinion and just reduces my life expectancy (why go through that when time is the post precious resource that we have?).

Anyways, since I guess quitting is not an option for you (it sounds like u really need the PR/Passport), I would simply start searching for another job on linked in which is technical but also a sales role.

Read 1 or 2 books on sales (e.g. Fanatic prospecting, Brian Tracy, Grant Cardone) and then I would use the mindset from those books to convince in your interviews that you will be able to get into sales.

Seriously man CAD is fking boring, you need to get out of it ASAP.

Best

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
I am having talk with CEO tomorrow regarding salary. I will bring this up, but there’s not any open positions in sales dep
You have a limited mindset. Think bigger.

Instead of 'why can't i' ....... ask 'how can i'....... it will change your life!

BlackMagician

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Jul 18, 2018
Mumbai, India

Many people thought that doing there own business and etc.
Well, as sir ZCP said, why not talk with the boss, tell him you want to be a part of bigger picture. Instead of doing CAD which you don't like, try to do something which makes your blood boil in the same engineering field.

I love engineering. I become fascinated whenever those machines do so much great things.

What i feel is: it's not that many of us hate our job/field it's just that it's not challenging enough or makes your blood boil.

Vadim26

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
Nov 23, 2018
Vancouver, BC.
Unexpected story twist: I am getting fired in 2 weeks.

I had a meeting today that was supposed to be regarding my salary adjustment, where I was explained that company isn't willing to train anyone and CEO didn't like how I mentioned that I am seeing myself in a different direction in future.

This is after the meeting where I told CEO - I am OK with being in the design department, but only for some time before I will make a switch to sales (in the same company) or more performance based field.

I lacked enthusiasm, and the guy noticed it. I would have done the same if I were him.

Not looking for anyone's shoulder to cry on, just wanted to share an update.

Last edited:

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
Most entry-level sales jobs are going to be cold-calling 8 hours a day, reading from a script, and commission based.

If you're prepared for that, then do it.

Vadim26

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
Nov 23, 2018
Vancouver, BC.
Most entry-level sales jobs are going to be cold-calling 8 hours a day, reading from a script, and commission based.

I'd do it for an entry level job in sales, but I've got to be looking at selling a technical product, and it isn't so easy to find. My background is ME.. the search begins

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
@Vadim26 you talked about things from your perspective .....

say you started a business selling widgets and you posted your complaints, needs, and wants on your website. you were downtrodden in your videos and asked for your customers to send you stuff. how many do you sell?

need to look at things from the other person's perspective and understand what THEY need. then provide value. everyone is your client. boss. coworkers. etc.

think about that as you are job hunting (and later business building) and adjust your presentation!

give to get

LukeTherooda

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
May 29, 2019
Milan, Italy
Unexpected story twist: I am getting fired in 2 weeks.
Hey there @Vadim26, I can totally relate to this.

In 2017 I was working in international sales for a design company. While having an IT background and sales experience on the local market only, I took that position for the sole purpose of get some strong experience in international markets, planning to leave the position in the design field within two years being employed there.

Plot twist: the design firm was sold to a corporation, I was laid off after less than one year working with this design firm. Nevertheless, having worked really, really hard during those few months, I was able to find a job in international sales for an IT company in a matter of three weeks only.

Which brings me to the two different routes can be taken to excel in a sales position in a technical-oriented field (that can be engineering, pharmaceutical, food production/processing, IT, electronics, industrial manufacturing, etc.), according to my experience so far:
  1. if you do not have an engineering degree, I would suggest to star in entry-level sales, any industry (the more tech, the better obviously), and over the months get results useful to move to better companies while learning the tech-related issues of the job; the goal should be to become a great salesperson, no matter of the things/services you're selling, while filling the knowledge gap between what you know on the tech side, and what your customers know;
  2. if you do have an engineering degree, I would suggest to start as tech support / sales support / project management, etc., and move to sales within the industry once you've got enough experience in the previous positions; in such case you might work a lot on the sales/negotiation/communication skills for the job, but you would have the tech part covered; this will help to relate on the same level with your counterparts, minimizing the risk of being perceived as a "salesperson" only;
These two paths have the final goal to become a "consultant", rather than a technician or salesperson only, as this attitude is what gives more results in the long run in sales positions in tech industries.

spreng

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Jul 1, 2019

Can confirm. I lucked out with maybe 3 hours of cold calls now and more intricate conversations and strategy because I'm in a complex field. But on the flip side... it can be super rewarding to win SPIFFs and be named best rep. Plus, sales is such a crucial skill to entrepreneurship, and you learn a lot about business on the job.

Also advice:

In your first role your technical skills will be almost useless. You will be an SDR cold calling and setting up appointments. It is your next role that it will be instrumental, and that's where you make the big bucks as well. I've seen braindead morons be great at the first job, but ask them to have a complex conversation with a prospect and they fail.

ShamanKing

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Aug 30, 2018
California
Did you think about working a regular job and building something else on your time off?

Hopefully you have some funds saved up :)

sidenote: I think majority will never support anyone who is trying to build their own dreams. Hence I don’t talk about it or mention it much. I was in a similar situation not too long ago.

struka

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Feb 22, 2018
TN
Bummer but I wonder how much did the "work visa" came into their decision of letting you go with lack of your enthusiasm. It is an investment on their part as well so I think you become more vulnerable.

Vadim26

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
Nov 23, 2018
Vancouver, BC.
@ZCP

Thank you for you reply, very helpful as always!

Hey there @Vadim26, I can totally relate to this.

Which brings me to the two different routes can be taken to excel in a sales position in a technical-oriented field (that can be engineering, pharmaceutical, food production/processing, IT, electronics, industrial manufacturing, etc.), according to my experience so far:
  1. if you do not have an engineering degree, I would suggest to star in entry-level sales, any industry (the more tech, the better obviously), and over the months get results useful to move to better companies while learning the tech-related issues of the job; the goal should be to become a great salesperson, no matter of the things/services you're selling, while filling the knowledge gap between what you know on the tech side, and what your customers know;
  2. if you do have an engineering degree, I would suggest to start as tech support / sales support / project management, etc., and move to sales within the industry once you've got enough experience in the previous positions; in such case you might work a lot on the sales/negotiation/communication skills for the job, but you would have the tech part covered; this will help to relate on the same level with your counterparts, minimizing the risk of being perceived as a "salesperson" only;
These two paths have the final goal to become a "consultant", rather than a technician or salesperson only, as this attitude is what gives more results in the long run in sales positions in tech industries.

Thanks, everything makes sense. I am following route #1, as I only have diploma in engineering (2 years of school).

Can confirm. I lucked out with maybe 3 hours of cold calls now and more intricate conversations and strategy because I'm in a complex field. But on the flip side... it can be super rewarding to win SPIFFs and be named best rep. Plus, sales is such a crucial skill to entrepreneurship, and you learn a lot about business on the job.

Also advice:

In your first role your technical skills will be almost useless. You will be an SDR cold calling and setting up appointments. It is your next role that it will be instrumental, and that's where you make the big bucks as well. I've seen braindead morons be great at the first job, but ask them to have a complex conversation with a prospect and they fail.

Appreciate the advice. I don't mind SDR/BDR for start - this will be an opportunity for me to get familiar with different aspects of sales.

Did you think about working a regular job and building something else on your time off?

Hopefully you have some funds saved up :)

sidenote: I think majority will never support anyone who is trying to build their own dreams. Hence I don’t talk about it or mention it much. I was in a similar situation not too long ago.

There's always an emergency fund. And obviously working a regular job while doing business is better than not having any cash flow while trying to make your business work.

You are right, I try not to mention it either, except very few close friends who are very supporting even with a Slowlane mindset.

Bummer but I wonder how much did the "work visa" came into their decision of letting you go with lack of your enthusiasm. It is an investment on their part as well so I think you become more vulnerable.

Let me clarify, I was given a 3-year work visa upon completing my studies in Canada. My employer didn't even know I had one, they don't really care as long as the person is eligible working in Canada.

-----------

In the mean time, I am endlessly searching for junior sales roles (SDR/BDR) on Indeed which occasionally don't require experience and training is provided, but this type of sales isn't usually technical

OR technical sales (which require specific experience or university degree, which i don't have). Bummer.

Won't be applying for any engineering jobs.

I am based in Vancouver for anyone tuning in.

Last edited:

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja

Vadim26

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
Nov 23, 2018
Vancouver, BC.
Are you sure it's the whole field or could it be the company?

Hey Chris, if you are referring to my letdown in engineering, it's probably a whole field, even though I've only 2 jobs out of university.

I want to jump ships, while I am still relatively young (23) and be a part of bigger a picture in work force (not CAD design) plus I was never interested in cars / engines / anything technical.

I spoke with a couple of friends who dislike it as well - they keep the job, because it's well-paying and not sure what to do. But I am not going to waste any more time with it.

Mbrideau27

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jul 23, 2019
This is literally the first thread I've viewed and commented on in this forum.

The title of your post caught my eye as I had dropped out of engineering to pursue entrepreneurship and sales.

I tried starting up a few different things and wound up working in sales for a security company.

I usually work half the year in sales and spend the other half pursuing other ideas.

I've been promoted to management and funny enough I'm based in Canada.

It's not an MLM thing, just a straight up hard work sales job.

I read through the rules and I don't think any sort of post like this is disallowed but if it is or it is against any sort of conventions please let me know.

You mentioned you were looking for some way to get your foot in the door.

If you want to chat more just shoot me a message and let me know.

I also have quite a bit of knowledge in sales, so let me know if you have any questions either way.

Cheers

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.