The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Employee turned Full Time Freelancer... turned Entrepreneur?

igorrr

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Dec 26, 2017
Austria
Hi Fastlaners!

I'm igorrr and I've just joined this community.

My story: I had been looking for years to escape being employed, but I just couldn't find a way or bring up the courage to do it. Then I switched jobs, started a role in online marketing and became savvy with Google AdWords and a few more skills relevant to ecommerce. That's when I realized where my strenghts and weaknesses are. My employer was great, but it was a regular 9-5 job with always the same working hours, the same paycheck, the same office jokes. I sought for some autonomy concerning my working hours and my working environment, but that wasn't granted.

So I decided that now is the time to quit the job and try selling my knowledge to clients. That's what I have been doing since Junary 2017: I'm a full time AdWords freelancer helping my clients to allocate their budget in the most cost efficient way. It's a great job and I enjoy (almost) every aspect of it. In my first year, I've achieved my main goal - netting the same salary as before while working on my own schedule.

After realizing how my services impact the bottom lines of my clients, I grew hungry to use my skills for my own bottom line. Now I feel another shift is imminent, one from selling time against money as a freelancer to a more entreprenurial one.

On this forum I hope to find inspiration on what to actually do, and I hope to find inspiration from people who have already achieved what they had envisioned. And if there is a way to share my knowledge, I'd be more than happy to!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ChasingPaper

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 7, 2014
Hi Fastlaners!

I'm igorrr and I've just joined this community.

My story: I had been looking for years to escape being employed, but I just couldn't find a way or bring up the courage to do it. Then I switched jobs, started a role in online marketing and became savvy with Google AdWords and a few more skills relevant to ecommerce. That's when I realized where my strenghts and weaknesses are. My employer was great, but it was a regular 9-5 job with always the same working hours, the same paycheck, the same office jokes. I sought for some autonomy concerning my working hours and my working environment, but that wasn't granted.

So I decided that now is the time to quit the job and try selling my knowledge to clients. That's what I have been doing since Junary 2017: I'm a full time AdWords freelancer helping my clients to allocate their budget in the most cost efficient way. It's a great job and I enjoy (almost) every aspect of it. In my first year, I've achieved my main goal - netting the same salary as before while working on my own schedule.

After realizing how my services impact the bottom lines of my clients, I grew hungry to use my skills for my own bottom line. Now I feel another shift is imminent, one from selling time against money as a freelancer to a more entreprenurial one.

On this forum I hope to find inspiration on what to actually do, and I hope to find inspiration from people who have already achieved what they had envisioned. And if there is a way to share my knowledge, I'd be more than happy to!

Congrats! Great success so far! May I ask how did you start getting clients in the beginning?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

igorrr

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Dec 26, 2017
Austria
Hi @ChasingPaper, thank you! Sure, I'm happy to answer your question. My first client was an agency I had worked with in the past. And through contacts with former business associates I was able to close some clients directly. So basically all the clients in the beginning were people I knew from before.

Thanks @Azure for hinting me to them! That will be a great resource.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
I personally feel, the faster you can move away from clients, the better.

This can be replacing yourself with an employee in your current agency role ( your agency/freelance stuff ), or your own product.

Bottom line, move away from trading your time for money quickly.

snappyhappy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Aug 3, 2015
Welcome!

I'm in a similar position to you.

Constantly chasing clients and only making money in exchange for your time is not a great long-term strategy - but the process has helped me learn about my client's businesses and the problems they need solved.

I'm currently in the process of productizing my service and I'll be launching in the next month or two.

Here are a few resources that have helped me with mindset and strategy.

1. Oversubscribed by Daniel Priestley.

2. http://casjam.com/ - Brian Casel has a course on how to productize your service. I haven't purchased the course yet but there is a ton of value in his free content.

Last edited:

igorrr

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Dec 26, 2017
Austria
Hi @eliquid, thank you for your insight! @Azure has pointed me towards your content and I will read it the next couple of days.

@snappyhappy congratulations on your upcoming launch! Yes, same goes for me: learning about my clients' businesses has helped me understand some fundamentals of how to be successful. Thanks for the resources, I will check them out.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...