The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Professional Driver Turned Entrepreneur

tjfry

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Sep 22, 2020
Montana
My name is TJ. I live in Montana with my wife and our awesome dog. I've owned a number of businesses over the years, but none with a CENTS framework and none that really were overly successful. Some paid bills others did nothing, and a couple have actually allowed me to make some progress in life financially, but despite reading books like Tony Robbins' Money: Master the Game and others by Ray Dalio & Jim Cramer, it hasnt been until reading MJ's books that the financial & business worlds have really made sense to me.

For the last almost 10 years, I've been a professional driver. I instructed high-level performance and tactical riving techniques to first-timers, enthusiasts, professional racers, law enforcement, military, and special operations units. I spent 200+ days a year on the road and overall, I enjoyed it. Who wouldn't have fun driving for the camera in films/TV and getting paid to play with cars & trucks for a living? But the reality was that the industry is capped. There's nowhere to go beyond about $60,000/yr. unless you feel the need to work with marketing partners & sponsors and I speak from experience when I say, THAT SHIT IS HARD. I found my love for driving diminishing, just as MJ discussed in unscripted . So, in 2019, an opportunity presented itself for me to exit this world and open a business as a general contractor. The timing was divine as this was pre-corona and while I am now considered essential and have been able to grow and thrive during this difficult economy, my previous industry is effectively at a standstill. Friends and former colleagues are out of work, struggling to get by while I focus my efforts on our new venture. I feel fortunate to say the least.

HOWEVER...

What I've noticed over the last year+ is a very consistent complaint in the contracting industry. I have fairly decent communication skills and I've had countless customers comment on how much they appreciate my communication. They also make comments about experiences theyve had with other contractors and their lack of communication. Maybe it's because I'm coming from a different background, but it seems to me that there is an opportunity here. After reading TMF , I began looking for a new opportunity. Contracting has been good to me, but I want to escape the direct trade of my time for money. This industry will allow me to do so at a certain point, but I do not see all the CENTS requirements satisfied, particularly scale and time. So, my new focus is going to be solving the communication issue between customers and contractors.

I firmly believe there is HUGE value in a simple solution to achieve this. I'm currently researching options and speaking with contractors and customers alike to learn their pain points and what they would value in a service that could address this issue. While this is the very beginning of the process, I am happy to report that it seems t satisfy the CENTS requirements and does indeed appear to be a way for me to provide massive value to the world. This is something I'm very excited about because in the past, while my businesses provided value, they could not do so on scale or magnitude.

I know that I still struggle with my 3B's and that I am currently a sidewalker. I have spent my life chasing money and therefore, never really caught it. I have found happiness through consumption. Fortunately, I am realizing these things about myself and both my wife and I are making changes, but the truth is that it takes time to fundamentally alter one's way of thinking. I know that I will make mistakes and slip from time to time, but I know I can overcome these failures and grow from them.

I look to this forum as a way to learn from others further along the entrepreneurial path, to encourage others just starting, and to hold myself accountable to the new direction I am choosing to follow. This will include my mindset as well and I can't think of a better place to have my thoughts/words checked than by others pursuing entrepreneurial endeavors like myself.

I look forward to interacting with you all and sharing my journey and experience throughout this process. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Be smart, but drive fast.

-TJ

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

tjfry

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Sep 22, 2020
Montana
By the way, @MJ DeMarco , thanks for including so many car references in your books! Made the content land clearer and with more impact for me. I'm glad you didn't wrap your viper around a palm tree on the driver side, but as someone that's also crashed while doing dumb shit, I am 100% sure that you learned a lot from the incident. Here's mine from way before I did it for a living...

Thanks for the great content and I hope to BS with you about cars/driving someday.

IMG_1209.JPG

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Awesome intro and story my friend, sounds like the start to a new career in Fastlaning!

Edd--19

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Sep 20, 2020
London
Awesome story, TJ! Loving the photo too. It looks like a write off.

I can empathise were you're coming from a little. There are still parts of my mindset that need to grow in order for me to make the most of my time I've got here. I sure as hell don't want to be stuck on the sidewalk.

I found the book the Power of Habit useful here. If you think of mindsets as habits of the mind then it offers a great way to restructure habits. It is a little tricky to implement every now and then I find.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your story. I wish you the best success! Hopefully, we will both be here in a year's time to share our 1 year update about how awesome our lives have become.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...