The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Emerging Home-fitness Trends

peterb0yd

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Dec 30, 2019
It seems there is now a virtual gaming opportunity for just about any boring old gym equipment you might find at your average gym.

Biking & Running:

Boxing & Kickboxing:

Rowing:

What do you guys think is next... maybe stair climbers? You could scale Mt. Everest or underwater caves virtually.

Seems like an interesting space. Obviously these are capital-intensive businesses and not for the faint of heart. However, VR software and online-multiplayer gaming (without a console) is not nearly as capital intensive, which is why I find this space fascinating.

The systems listed above are closed-systems but I'm seeing some companies build agnostic machines that are exercise-like. This is the where the opportunity is for bootstrappers.

Example: Total Motion Control In VR & gaming » 3dRudder
Or these of course: Top VR treadmills review

On a personal level, I'm not a huge fan of this type of thing being the next generation of gaming and exercising, but it's an obvious next step.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

jjlundy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jul 9, 2019
Interesting post, and it's something I've given thought to as well. Peloton has proven beyond a shout of a doubt that there is a demographic within the fitness industry that enjoys the community & competition aspect to fitness.

What if there was a way to deliver that same value to that demographic without having to purchase a $3k Peloton bike, or without having to purchase a $1k Zwift add-on. What if there was a way to add that same value to a standard ole spin bike you can find in any gym in America?

peterb0yd

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Dec 30, 2019
Interesting post, and it's something I've given thought to as well. Peloton has proven beyond a shout of a doubt that there is a demographic within the fitness industry that enjoys the community & competition aspect to fitness.

What if there was a way to deliver that same value to that demographic without having to purchase a $3k Peloton bike, or without having to purchase a $1k Zwift add-on. What if there was a way to add that same value to a standard ole spin bike you can find in any gym in America?

On a second look at Holofit's website, it looks like that's their goal. They built a VR game that integrates with machines granted they have the proper specs.

See this answer in their FAQ - FAQ - HOLOFIT by Holodia

df1992

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
238%
May 26, 2020
London
It's going to be huge! I think lockdown has been such a massive catalyst into home work outs and I think the trend will be here to stay. Personally I've used Les Mill on Demand with some home gym equipment, it cost me and my gf £90 between us for the year and it's just as good as the gym, if not better due to the vast back catalogue of workouts and really high production value and even as gyms reopened we have just stayed doing our workouts at home.

Having said that, I can't just help think most of these big ideas will just become expensive clothes hangers lol

1603208906359.png

I remember seeing Nintendo have a fitness game for the switch:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skBNiJd61Qw
would be interesting to see had performed.

I also think there is a space for gamification of fitness with low barriers to entry for the participants (rather than having to remortgage your home to pay for a Pelton)... for instance, people simply doing "step challenges" with their friends, or challenging people to run a certain distance and record it via Strava.

peterb0yd

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Dec 30, 2019
I also think there is a space for gamification of fitness with low barriers to entry for the participants (rather than having to remortgage your home to pay for a Pelton)... for instance, people simply doing "step challenges" with their friends, or challenging people to run a certain distance and record it via Strava.

Yeah gamification is what is making this model so popular. I envision a game being made with a world of virtual avatars that you level up by using different gym equipment or doing different classes. The addictive nature of games like Fortnite and WoW are because of that need to "level up". People pay stupid money to make their avatars look cool. Imagine if they could make them look cool by doing a biking class twice a day. Something like that could be huge.

df1992

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
238%
May 26, 2020
London
I envision a game being made with a world of virtual avatars that you level up by using different gym equipment or doing different classe

Ha that sounds way too like that episode of black mirror for me

1603221279020.png

Frank H.

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Dec 22, 2018
Fantastic thread! This is definitely a market mind that I could see myself investing in. I'm always trying to keep up with recent fitness trends and technology. It will be interesting to see if a Fastlaner comes up with an affordable bike that has gamification features that are more addicting than Fortnite and Facebook combined. Any other technology that is similar to this?

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
There is a smart-mirror startup, that projects fitness coach onto surface for exercises and cam that detects if you do those exercises with correct posture.
IIRC its well funded.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
Ha that sounds way too like that episode of black mirror for me

View attachment 35377

Yes, it's not too far removed.

IMO virtual stuff like this is making the world worse.

People's ability to interact socially will continue to erode.

No doubt there's tons of money to be made in the space though.

Kasimir

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Sep 4, 2020
Switzerland
Really interesting thread.
When I was a child I couldn't imagine that reading could be as addicting as playing video games. But now that's reality. Companies invest millions into making us addicted to video games or eating fast food or for example smoking. But nobody to my knowledge tried to make fitness addicting.
Forcing people to do fitness is a part of many futuristic a little communistic films. But why force them if you can make them addicted to it.
We first saw this with Pokemon Go where out of nowhere tons of people started walking around. I don't think that I'm the one who will invent such technology but I'll definitely try to invest in the company which does.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
Really interesting thread.
When I was a child I couldn't imagine that reading could be as addicting as playing video games. But now that's reality. Companies invest millions into making us addicted to video games or eating fast food or for example smoking. But nobody to my knowledge tried to make fitness addicting.
Forcing people to do fitness is a part of many futuristic a little communistic films. But why force them if you can make them addicted to it.
We first saw this with Pokemon Go where out of nowhere tons of people started walking around. I don't think that I'm the one who will invent such technology but I'll definitely try to invest in the company which does.
Offer them %50 off Hamburger coupon, if they'll do 10,000 steps.
(And its not a joke)

Kasimir

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Sep 4, 2020
Switzerland
Offer them %50 off Hamburger coupon, if they'll do 10,000 steps.
(And its not a joke)
Hahaha true and it's really sad.
We had in Switzerland an app going viral which literally pays you for the steps you do. So either you can buy some products with your steps or you can convert them into cash. But it was only for like 3 months until everybody realized that it'll take them one or two years to make around 1000$ so most people quit. :)

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
Hahaha true and it's really sad.
We had in Switzerland an app going viral which literally pays you for the steps you do. So either you can buy some products with your steps or you can convert them into cash. But it was only for like 3 months until everybody realized that it'll take them one or two years to make around 1000$ so most people quit. :)
Maybe this business model, with a bit of twist, would work.

Imagine Groupon like business combined with the app that pays with coupons for walking.

Businesses would give away coupons (Groupon like) to advertise themselves and people would have something of value but still would have to pay part of it.
They would have something for all their walking earlier.

Maybe this model is doomed but i wouldn't be surprised if someone will find better twist on it :)

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016

Choate

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Mar 25, 2014
Boston
I think even basic equipment has been trending up this year, cue how all of the dumbells have been sold out everywhere.

- Bought a 12 pound medicine ball which was hard to find, sold out at Target and had to find the right seller on Amazon that wouldn't take 3 weeks to ship

- Bought exercise bands which I've been thinking about for a while. Also bought protective goggles to use with said exercise bands to avoid injury from snapping

- Bought an ab roller

Already own a yoga mat and foam roller.

I think this is the kind of stuff that every person should own. I'm pretty hardcore into fitness but this has been decently sufficient for me, along with a weighted backpack I stuffed with books (save Unscripted and Millionaire Fastlane which sit safely on my shelf still). I'd love to see a 'fitness kit' of sorts which has the above, I know that some exist out there but they look pretty questionable.

Beyond this, if someone has space, a simple rowing machine would be perfect... these go for as little as $300 on Amazon but not sure the quality. It's just not worth $2500 for a gaming exercise machine imo, but people like Peloton + the brand since it's high quality.

Kasimir

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Sep 4, 2020
Switzerland
Weightlifting? Didn't see this coming so soon...

Amazing idea. That will only be the start.
I think even basic equipment has been trending up this year, cue how all of the dumbells have been sold out everywhere.
Agree with you. After such a long Covid phase people want to get back into shape. Would say that we’ll also see a huge spike in gym memberships as soon as Covid is gone.

TheCj

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jan 3, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Weightlifting? Didn't see this coming so soon...

Very cool, looks like the same tech VR uses called LIDAR using the light bouncing back to create the human model. Looks like it needs a sensor or two behind the person to get a true 360 view of everything happening.

Wonder if NFL teams are using VR to have QB's read defences in a virtual feed in first person view. As opposed to game film. Reminds of Tony Romo showing how good he is at reading the field from the press box because it's most likely the same view he had reviewing film. VR could allow "video review/study" to be replaced with actually being in the virtual field and breaking things down in 1:1 scale, pausing the play etc walking around etc... Also would be a fun game to be a QB.

Looks like NFL teams are already doing this:) Sports training in Virtual Reality | Strivr

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.