The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Edge Computing - the Future of the "Internet of Things" - Web 3.0

Disciple96

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Mar 5, 2016
USA

Here a few videos about "edge" computing.

The first one explains how it is likely to replace our current hierarchy of processing, "cloud" computing.

So, instead of online services, your device itself handles the majority of the workload, before sending the most critical data back to the server.

This is important for devices which need the data ASAP, or to reduce overall network bandwidth between smart devices with advanced programming.

In the past, processing power was prohibitively expensive to implement a solution like this.

However, nowadays portable and powerful microprocessors are almost a commodity.

Anybody have any thoughts? This is where the future of tech is headed. I wonder what potential applications there are for edge computing.

In a nutshell, moving away from centralized "cloud" computing and moving towards a decentralized "edge" computing network, where most of the heavy data processing is done on the front end, before being sent to the "cloud". Saving a lot of bandwidth and $$$ in the process.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
It's an evolution of the CDN (Content Delivery Network). Instead of just static files, you add computationally intensive applications.

I'm not sure how long it will last though. If all of your devices are on IoT (Internet of Things), why not just compute on your smartphone or tablet, then send it to the cloud?

The new iPhone already has a chip dedicated to neural networks.

So this is a cake walk in terms of implementation.

D

Deleted50669

I did notice Google released TensorFlowJS, which is a front-end implementation of the popular neural network library traditionally used by Python on the server. In my opinion that approach is criminal. CPU intensive processes should never be facilitated in javascript - even if Node sits on top of a C engine - it's still just javascript. So, yea they are trying to make front end PWAs support the types of things typically reserved for backend, but my prediction is unless it's implemented by a true guru it will lead to nontrivial performance deficiencies.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.