The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Welcome to The Fastlane Entrepreneur Forum.

Register Log in
  • The forum software will be upgraded on Sunday May 26th and may not look normal during the transition. Some functionality may be offline. This is TEMPORARY and is expected to last up to 48 hours.

Edge Computing - the Future of the "Internet of Things" - Web 3.0

Disciple96

Bronze Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Mar 5, 2016
IL

Here a few videos about "edge" computing.

The first one explains how it is likely to replace our current hierarchy of processing, "cloud" computing.

So, instead of online services, your device itself handles the majority of the workload, before sending the most critical data back to the server.

This is important for devices which need the data ASAP, or to reduce overall network bandwidth between smart devices with advanced programming.

In the past, processing power was prohibitively expensive to implement a solution like this.

However, nowadays portable and powerful microprocessors are almost a commodity.

Anybody have any thoughts? This is where the future of tech is headed. I wonder what potential applications there are for edge computing.

In a nutshell, moving away from centralized "cloud" computing and moving towards a decentralized "edge" computing network, where most of the heavy data processing is done on the front end, before being sent to the "cloud". Saving a lot of bandwidth and $$$ in the process.

Last edited:

ApparentHorizon

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
It's an evolution of the CDN (Content Delivery Network). Instead of just static files, you add computationally intensive applications.

I'm not sure how long it will last though. If all of your devices are on IoT (Internet of Things), why not just compute on your smartphone or tablet, then send it to the cloud?

The new iPhone already has a chip dedicated to neural networks.

So this is a cake walk in terms of implementation.

404profound

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 27, 2017
Desert of Desertion
I did notice Google released TensorFlowJS, which is a front-end implementation of the popular neural network library traditionally used by Python on the server. In my opinion that approach is criminal. CPU intensive processes should never be facilitated in javascript - even if Node sits on top of a C engine - it's still just javascript. So, yea they are trying to make front end PWAs support the types of things typically reserved for backend, but my prediction is unless it's implemented by a true guru it will lead to nontrivial performance deficiencies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Search Forum