The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

E-Commerce Platforms

Igor P.

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Dec 11, 2007
Daytona Beach, FL
For those of you that run E-Commerce websites.

What platform between the 3 listed below is best, and can you perhaps explain on your reasoning.
  • ZenCart - www.zen-cart.com
    • Free to use, user-friendly, open source. Developed by private individuals.
  • osCommerce - www.oscommerce.com - www.buysafe.com/offer_osc
    • I believe this is also free. Large variety of modules and support of almost every payment gateway.
    • Included with the package is buySAFE module that provides a third-party endorsement of merchant reliability and trustworthiness (backed by a bond guarantee). Designed to improve buyer confidence.
  • CubeCart - www.cubecart.com
    • Must purchase license to remove copyrights. Unlimited categories/products, multiple payment gateways, downloadable products, easily modified.
If you use/used other platforms please tell me about them and their benefits. I am planning on producing a E-Commerce website with instant downloadable content. Any suggestions are helpfull.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jorge

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Oct 5, 2007
Mendoza, Argentina
I have only used OsCommerce and while I think its pretty good, it's a pain in the a** to customize it. Also, is not updated as often as it should be in my opinion.

The good points:

-Easy to install
-A lot of credit card gateways comes integrated so you only configure a few details and that's it.
-LOTS of free plugins!

Igor P.

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Dec 11, 2007
Daytona Beach, FL
Be sure to read the ToS of your provider. Lots don't allow downloadable content such as e-books and the like if that's what you're planning.

When you say "the like" do you mean digital content in the form of an e-book or do you mean digital in general that has some relating aspect to an e-book? :S

Z5 FILMS

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 13, 2007
The Woodlands, TX
When you say "the like" do you mean digital content in the form of an e-book or do you mean digital in general that has some relating aspect to an e-book? :S

A few that I have looked at said "no downloadable media", I'm guessing this means MP3s, software, possibly ebooks? Some have said flat out "no e-books" some have not said anything. Most that I speak of were 3rd party merchants such as 2Checkout.com (which does not ban e-books sales).

Just something to look out for. I'm not sure if Authorize.net and the like have similar policies.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I took a look at all 3 of those and they all looked very similar to each other. I picked Oscommerce out of the 3. It's a tough one to modify and you do get confused with all the contributions.

I'm actually thinking of moving my ebiz to a paid hosting platform that has all the bells and whistles built in. The standard loads on these need alot of modifying.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Just to add... I used oscommerce because i wanted to start up my business cheaply. But now that is going, I wouldn't mind paying $50/month for hosting if I dont have to deal with upgrading and updating it.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA

aptohosting

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 16, 2007
North Carolina
Just to add... I used oscommerce because i wanted to start up my business cheaply. But now that is going, I wouldn't mind paying $50/month for hosting if I dont have to deal with upgrading and updating it.

Just for everyones information, you can purchase our "E-Commerce" web hosting plan for $29.99 per month. This includes Fantastico which easily allows for OScommerce and few other shopping carts to be installed and integrated. We do not advertise it, so if you are interested call me at 1-866-404-9090 or email me at tom@aptohosting.com and I will set it up for you.

Hell since its the Holidays, I will do FREE installations of OScommerce until Jan 1st, 2008.

Azharr

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Feb 24, 2013
I took a look at all 3 of those and they all looked very similar to each other. I picked Oscommerce out of the 3. It's a tough one to modify and you do get confused with all the contributions.

I'm actually thinking of moving my ebiz to a paid hosting platform that has all the bells and whistles built in. The standard loads on these need alot of modifying.

try americommerce.com - folks from bigcommerce migrate there

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.