The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Best E-Commerce Platform For Specific Needs

MMatt

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Nov 14, 2011
I am building a niche e-commerce store which has maybe ten small-mid sized companies already in the industry. I plan to differentiate through aggressive social media marketing, engaging content (giveaways, contests, informational blog), exceeding customer expectations, have a much better looking and easier to use site, and gain as much of the pool of customers as I can. These websites are mostly owned by people on a selfish premise of doing what they like, therefore are not marketing their brand to potential customers as much as they could.

With that being said, I need the best platform to cater to a few specific needs. Firstly, I have an informational blog I am driving traffic to, and attempting to start a following with before even opening the store. It is hosted with blogger. Is there a platform that I can attach this blog to for seo purposes? I know volusion does not have this feature last time I tried.

I need a very professional looking site that stands out from the crowd. Can any of the e-commerce platforms stand out from the rest using only a free template? I'm no web designer, but the competition's sites look very outdated and some are hard to navigate.

I also need a very effective search engine. With the competitors' sites, you search a product term and often the results are not even related. Is this something I would have to fix with my own tweaking, or is there software that will have a superior search engine from the start?

I have tried using bigcommerce and at the time could not get my dns setting to configure and they did not assist me. I then switched to volusion. They were ok, but the site looked awfully generic using one of their free templates and as stated, I could not use a blog for traffic.

Thanks for any advice.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
D

DeletedUser2

dont use free templates

use the paid ones. they are cheap enough

woothemes,
forrest themes
are 2.

you can put a wordpress them for your blog, and integrate it with a Ecommerce theme as well.

:)

get your own domain,

www.domain.com for your ecomm store

and either blog.domain.com for your blog or domain.com/blog. either works.

as for bigcommerce, you can get some one on Odesk to set it up for you for like 20 bucks.

I bet you could even pay a couple people here to help walk you through the DNS stuff.

Z

MMatt

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Nov 14, 2011
Ok, so paid theme is a must, and outsource if I need help building it.

As for the domain, i already own the domain to be used for the store. I was thinking www.xxxxxxxblog.com but obviously that is a completely different domain. Is blog.domain.com a sub-domain I would purchase separately or would it be integrated into the site? Also would www.domain.com/blog be setup to redirect you to blogger, or would I have to start from scratch using the provided blogging software? I already have quite a bit of content on blogger which is why i am asking.

Talisman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
May 19, 2011
Australia
Can't comment on other eCommerce products - but don't use BigCommerce if you want a blog. They don't have one built in. They have instructions for setting one up as a CNAME'd subdirectory or link, but it doesn't work very well, nor look/feel integrated. Big letdown.

Subsequently, I'm building my own platform that has everything I want, instead, but that's my skill set, and there are other benefits for me.

Regardless, don't sit on a decision too long - just do your research and get something out there.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MMatt

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Nov 14, 2011
So volusion is out of the picture as is bigcommerce. Who does that leave for reputable e-commerce sites with blogging capabilities? Magneto, shopify?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.