Hello,
I had an interesting convo and just wanted to see what your thoughts were.. with business plans for e startups.. :huh2:
We already know what every college business book and "expert" business people say... but... I want to hear your thoughts that's been out here grinding in the industry
My opinion; business plans are useless for internet businesses/sites unless you plan to hunt for funding, angel investments, loans, etc. Because the web is soo dynamic, what your path you think you wanted to go will change enough to where you don't ever take a look back at your business plan again. If you are building something big like an online platform, next Twitter, etc. etc., you may need one to show investors a general idea of where you plan to head and how you plan to make revenue; but you know.. during development, your project will almost never stay in the same path as you once thought. If you follow your plan, you might even dig yourself in a hole with no flexibility for direction and change.
This is speaking from experience, I only wrote one business plan for an ecommerce site because that's what "the norm process in starting a business" and everybody told me to build one. So I did, never needed funding because I built the entire thing myself, and never looked back at it because nothing on there is revelant. I started my latest venture (a high traffic Twitter viral site) without anything and it's well on it's way to become something I can sell for a large sum of money.
Thanks,
James F.
I had an interesting convo and just wanted to see what your thoughts were.. with business plans for e startups.. :huh2:
We already know what every college business book and "expert" business people say... but... I want to hear your thoughts that's been out here grinding in the industry
My opinion; business plans are useless for internet businesses/sites unless you plan to hunt for funding, angel investments, loans, etc. Because the web is soo dynamic, what your path you think you wanted to go will change enough to where you don't ever take a look back at your business plan again. If you are building something big like an online platform, next Twitter, etc. etc., you may need one to show investors a general idea of where you plan to head and how you plan to make revenue; but you know.. during development, your project will almost never stay in the same path as you once thought. If you follow your plan, you might even dig yourself in a hole with no flexibility for direction and change.
This is speaking from experience, I only wrote one business plan for an ecommerce site because that's what "the norm process in starting a business" and everybody told me to build one. So I did, never needed funding because I built the entire thing myself, and never looked back at it because nothing on there is revelant. I started my latest venture (a high traffic Twitter viral site) without anything and it's well on it's way to become something I can sell for a large sum of money.
Thanks,
James F.
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
