The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Dopamine. The missing piece of the success puzzle. (Improve Locus of Control, Motivation, Self-control)

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
They're generalizations. Averages.
I don’t see being impulsive as not being conscientious.

Being conscientious is like having a winning attribute whereas being not impulsive is like having the ability to minimize potential self-damage. Having the will power to do 50 push up a day for example to me is not really like being Not impulsive to say no from not doing..and give yourself a break. One is having the ability to say yes to pain. The other is like having the ability to say no to pleasure. I suspect the mental mechanics behind them are different.

Anecdotally I see being conscientious tend to correlate with being hyper competitive. Remind me of the child who cried for three days after losing a online game. I suspect there is a highly genetic component. It is almost like being not agreeable, in matters that concern personal standards..Remember the thread about the dude who wants to rob his pharmaceutical competitor at gun point ...happens to be unfortunately applying a good attribute in a bad way.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

msrashid

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jul 9, 2020
New York
Alrighty guys, good news. Really good news. A lot of people were asking me how to analyze the genetic aspects of dopamine function and I didn't want to give an answer on anything specific because it's complicated and irresponsible to give generalized advice; and at the time there weren't many good services on it.

BUT...

My friend Howard Wetsman MD just opened a new service that allows you to upload your 23andme data and get a full report on your dopamine-related genetics (and other genes) for only $8

So if you want to get a better understanding on how this crucial chemical is affecting your life.. I definitely suggest checking it out.

Hey Chris, I had to make an account after reading this mind blowing thread. I like you have gone through basically all the research on discipline, personality and motivation. I've tried a ton of different techniques, but nothing beat one 20 mg dose of Adderall XR. The desire to do things now versus later seems to be the key to industriousness, which apparently doesn't have a psychological or biological model according to Jordan Peterson. It actually emerged as a consequence of factor analyzing the linguistic pool of various personality statements.

You actually might be on to the cutting edge of personality research right here, if you could research industriousness as it's predicted by dopamine levels. I'm actually really interested in increasing this dopamine tone that you speak of, is there anyway to get a hold of you to help me analyze my 23andMe data? I tried to PM you, but couldn't figure out how to do that, maybe because I'm a brand new dude with no posts that it's not available to me.

MaxKhalus

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 7, 2018
Spain
Okay, we’re going to get into some deep and really cool stuff here. I bounced back and forth for almost a year on this forum as to whether I even wanted to post about this, since I’m planning on saving the materials for a book. But the more I think about it I think it's such an essential thread that I'd feel like a dick for not posting. Plus putting things out there helps you refine your ideas.

I know there's a lot of info here but this post is going to go over ways to actual, scientifically validated ways to improve Locus of Control, increase Motivation, boost Self-Control and build all the traits that are core to building wealth. Again, this is all scientifically validated, evidence-based approaches. Not the stuff you hear that have you feeling motivated for a week, then once the effect wanes you’re back in the same boat.

View attachment 26212

Understanding this stuff can have a whopping effect on your bottom line, health and happiness. This is often the 'missing link' to success. If you’re already wealthy, this can help make you wealthier. If you havent yet achieved success, this may be the magic ticket. It may also improve your happiness, your relationships and other major areas. This stuff took me a good 10+ years to piece together out and it’s the info I wish I had when I was 21.

A lot of this comes from my personal battles as well as other things. Up until the age of around 25 I was a chronic underachiever. My IQ was in the top 5%, but what was I doing? Working at a Water Damage Removal company. People would tell me ‘dude you can do so much more… why are you cleaning water out of people’s basements?’ I honestly didn't know the answer to that.

It made me not only want to figure out my own life, but figure out why some people were successful in life and why some weren’t in order to reverse engineer it for anyone. So I did what I always do… pour over the data and connect the dots.

This post will be broken into two sections: what causes people to be successful according to data, and how you can potentially use that info to become even more successful.

So before we even go into anything, we have to very briefly define the personality traits a little bit, since personality traits play an enormous role in any type of life success. Big 5 personality is somewhat similar to the MBTI, it just has a lot more scientific validity. So bear with me if there are any complicated technical terms as everything will be explained. There’s no need to memorize any of these terms, just get an idea of the different traits.

View attachment 26207

So okay, what makes somebody successful? Well, of course, to find out we’ll look at the data. This is a chart I made from data taken from a study on how personality traits and intelligence predict career success:

View attachment 26206

Data from: THE BIG FIVE PERSONALITY TRAITS, GENERAL MENTAL ABILITY, AND CAREER SUCCESS ACROSS THE LIFE SPAN, (T Judge et al)

How to read the chart: basically the higher the number and the darker the box, the bigger the correlation. A 1.0 correlation is a perfect correlation but those are virtually nonexistent in Social Science research. .3 considered is big, .4 is really big, .5 is enormous. Even .2 is a pretty decent finding. So don’t look for any perfect 1.0 correlations. They’re unicorns. They don’t exist except when measuring the same exact thing.

So what does this tell us? Again, the darker the color, the higher the correlation. So for Extrinsic Career Success, the most notable correlations are with g-Mental Ability (general intelligence) and a trait called Conscientiousness, both coming at whopping .5 correlations. From Wikipedia:

Conscientiousness is the personality trait of being careful, or diligent. Conscientiousness implies a desire to do a task well, and to take obligations to others seriously. Conscientious people tend to be efficient and organized as opposed to easy-going and disorderly. They exhibit a tendency to show self-discipline, act dutifully, and aim for achievement; they display planned rather than spontaneous behavior; and they are generally dependable. It is manifested in characteristic behaviors such as being neat, and systematic; also including such elements as carefulness, thoroughness, and deliberation (the tendency to think carefully before acting.)

Going back to the chart, Conscientiousness predicted Extrinsic career success even better than intelligence. I’m not going to focus on Intelligence here, since there aren’t many reliable methods of improving it as of now. Maybe we’ll go into it in another post, but for now, Conscientiousness is the biggest thing we can improve and this trait has a whopping effect on success. Learning to harness it will give people pretty much whatever level of success they want.

Conscientiousness also predicts success in a number of other areas:

Our findings suggest that conscientiousness is the trait most broadly associated with marital satisfaction in this sample of long-wed couples.

Personality traits and marital satisfaction within enduring relationships - Journal of Social and Personal Relationships

People with high Conscientiousness were also found to earn better SAT scores, have higher educational attainment, have a lower BMI, have better health, are less likely to divorce or become single mothers/fathers and a number of other important measures.

This article investigates how personality and cognitive ability relate to measures of objective success (income and wealth) and subjective success (life satisfaction, positive [emotion], and lack of negative [emotion].) Thus, the benefits of conscientiousness may be remarkable more for their ubiquity than for their magnitude.

Who Does Well in Life? Conscientious Adults Excel in Both Objective and Subjective Success - Frontiers in Psychology

According to Dr. DeYoung’s model Conscientiousness has two facets (subcategories) - Orderliness and Industriousness. Orderliness is organizational skills and Industriousness is essentially being a hard worker. Industriousness is a much better predictor. In other words, Being hard working is an enormous predictor of success. May sound obvious, but we need ways to boost that trait.

View attachment 26208

Conscientiousness also a very good predictor of overall happiness:

In general, conscientiousness has a positive relationship with subjective well-being, particularly satisfaction with life, so highly conscientious people tend to be happier with their lives than those who score low on this trait. Although conscientiousness is generally seen as a positive trait to possess, recent research has suggested that in some situations it may be harmful for well-being. In a prospective study of 9570 individuals over four years, highly conscientious people suffered more than twice as much if they became unemployed.

So let’s go back to the chart because there are a number of other interesting insights here.

View attachment 26210

One interesting thing here is the string of negative correlations between success and the trait Agreeableness. But also note that with the exception of Job Satisfaction, the correlation is very small only explaining ~1% of the variation. But for Job Satisfaction, we get a somewhat large .26 negative correlation. This means that being too agreeable is harmful to Job Satisfaction.

View attachment 26209

Agreeableness is a personality trait manifesting itself in individual behavioral characteristics that are perceived as kind, sympathetic, cooperative, warm, and considerate. People who score high on this dimension are empathetic and altruistic, while a low agreeableness score relates to selfish behavior and a lack of empathy.

This is likely because being a pushover is bad for success. Especially when it comes to Job Satisfaction. It seems that the data backs up the old “nice guys finish last” adage. But, I think there’s a balance you have to attain, and you want yourself to be somewhere in the middle. If you’re too Agreeable, you’re a pushover who gets stepped on. If you’re too Disagreeable, you’re basically a sociopath, willing to step on anyone or anything to get what you want, who will likely go to jail with Bernie Madoff pretty soon.

Those who score very low on agreeableness show signs of dark triad behavior such as manipulation and competing with others rather than cooperating.

So finding that balance is important. Other research cited in Barking up the Wrong Tree showed that the ideal strategy is to be nice to people in general, but if they mess with you, don't hesitate to put them in their place. Be nice, but have boundaries.

How Openness relates to career success. Openness very strongly relates to creativity. Open people are significantly more creative.

The Number One Predictor of Creativity? Openness to Experience | InformED

Openness indicates how open-minded a person is. A person with a high level of openness to experience in a personality test enjoys trying new things.

So in the data, this tells us that Creativity does not contribute to Income or Job Satisfaction at all. But Openness does contribute to Occupational Status and Extrinsic Career Success. It also contributes to subjective well-being. So it may not make you rich, but it will make you happy and potentially give you a higher status position. This is true of Entrepreneurs as well.

We also see that professional success has a relatively strong link with Neuroticism (opposite of Emotional Stability in the chart.) Neurotic people perform poorer. The correlation with Emotional Stability are as follows - Job Satisfaction: .26, Income: .32, Occupational Status: .27, Extrinsic Career Success: .34

Individuals who score high on neuroticism are more likely than average to be moody and to experience such feelings as anxiety, worry, fear, anger, frustration, envy, jealousy, guilt, depressed mood, and loneliness. People who are neurotic respond worse to stressors and are more likely to interpret ordinary situations as threatening and minor frustrations as hopelessly difficult. They are often self-conscious and shy, and they may have trouble controlling urges and delaying gratification.

The last trait is Extraversion. We see some pretty decent sized (.24 and .19) correlations with Income and Extrinsic Career Success, respectively. The reason for this is likely because Extraverts are expert networkers. They make friends everywhere they go, they make people like them, and they usually have a pretty good sales ability. They meet people and sell themselves well. I posted my personal techniques on Networking here a while back:

Fastlane Forums - How To Build An Ungodly, Mind-Blowingly Amazing Network.

[...to be continued]
I see you've added stellar content here. Awesome job.

It seems I came to this thread a bit late. I just wanted to share Alex Becker's Channel, who's the king of dopamine detox. Here's a plain practical video (without all the technical background):
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBPsWni-3Fs

Video

PapaGang

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jul 10, 2019
Milwaukee, WI
Hey Chris, I had to make an account after reading this mind blowing thread. I like you have gone through basically all the research on discipline, personality and motivation. I've tried a ton of different techniques, but nothing beat one 20 mg dose of Adderall XR. The desire to do things now versus later seems to be the key to industriousness, which apparently doesn't have a psychological or biological model according to Jordan Peterson. It actually emerged as a consequence of factor analyzing the linguistic pool of various personality statements.

You actually might be on to the cutting edge of personality research right here, if you could research industriousness as it's predicted by dopamine levels. I'm actually really interested in increasing this dopamine tone that you speak of, is there anyway to get a hold of you to help me analyze my 23andMe data? I tried to PM you, but couldn't figure out how to do that, maybe because I'm a brand new dude with no posts that it's not available to me.

I found a video not too long ago in which a prominent psychologist talks about the relationship between goals and dopamine / serotonin levels.

Basically he says when you set yourself up with a meaningful set of 5-year goals on what you want your ideal life to look like, and get going on them, the clinical evidence shows that dopamine and serotonin levels go through the roof, regardless of where the levels are when people start out (most of them had really low levels and were considered clinically depressed.)

What does this mean? He is suggesting that you can alter your levels, regardless of genetic makeup, by going through a program and working on yourself. This is great news for everyone.

He then got really interested in this evidence and created a self-authoring plan that he says has great success for those who complete the exercise and set up a daily routine to work towards the goals. His name is Dr. Jordan Peterson and his site for self authoring is selfauthoring.com. He talks a lot about dopamine and serotonin levels and how they are related to the reward system.

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
Is dopamine something new that has been mentioned in the last year? Not the idea of it but like I've been hearing about it alot lately. I've personally found that dopamine is the biggest reason why i don't get shit done in life. I want to do something fun all the time and all it takes is to watch 1 youtube video to screw up my progress.

It's a very interesting topic, and very simple.

G

Guest1413tpa

Ah Dopamine... something I lack as one with ADHD (or so I have been told).

I have a constant battle with a lack of dopamine and too much, still trying to figure out the balance. Interesting thread by the way.

Last edited by a moderator:

MaxKhalus

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 7, 2018
Spain
Ah Dopamine... something I lack as one with ADHD (or so I have been told).

I have a constant battle with a lack of dopamine and too much, still trying to figure out the balance. Great thread by the way.
just check the video

msrashid

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jul 9, 2020
New York

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Completely related:

121484093_10158470822724342_8503256311815719825_n.jpg121454895_10158470822749342_9199296933200988319_n.jpg121334770_10158470823039342_5586577024470371182_n.jpg121335209_10158470822939342_6665748360898919585_n.jpg121477979_10158470822909342_4010013359392584871_n.jpg121449164_10158470822809342_123503834522888287_n.jpg121464244_10158470822859342_6202029365376279029_n.jpgCostOfADHD-481x641.jpeg

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja

Wow, I'm so sorry.. I just saw this! I hope you're still on the forum!

It's at you.23andme.com/tools/data/

And if you ever lose that link just Google "23andMe raw data download"

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
ADHD, INCARCERATION, NEWS, REHABILITATION

“CRIME, PUNISHMENT, AND REDEMPTION FOR MY SON WITH ADHD” – ADDITUDE

Stealing cases of beer led to his first felony charge and a probation violation. Arrests for under-age possession of alcohol and drugs came next. I battled with myself whether to bail him out of adult jail. But bail him out I did. Each time he vowed to turn himself around, saying he didn’t know why he broke the law. Each time he failed.
My son got in touch with a new general practitioner, who prescribed him proper ADHD medication. The result? No more drugs, alcohol, thefts, or arrests. The change was dramatic. He enrolled himself in college, found a job, and when his court date arrived, he testified about his diagnosis.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja

Insights:

Extraverted people are significantly more emotionally stable (.62)

Conscientious people are significantly more emotionally stable (.65)

Agreeable people are moderately more emotionally stable (.44)

Extraverted people are slightly more agreeable (.24)

Open people are moderately more intelligent (.33)

Conscientious people are slightly more intelligent (.29)

Emotionally stable people are moderately more satisfied with their jobs (.26,) have moderately higher incomes (.32,) have moderately higher status (.27,) and enjoy moderately greater intrinsic career success (.34)

Extraverted people make moderately more money (.24)

Open people have moderately higher Occupational Status (.26)

Conscientious people have moderately higher incomes (.34) and significantly higher occupational status (.48) and significantly higher extrinsic career success (.50)

Intelligent people (as measured by g-mental ability) have moderately higher job satisfaction (.25) and income (.29) and have significantly higher occupational status (.48) and extrinsic career success (.53)

013CE2C1-9321-4319-A36D-BAE9D68F61F8.jpeg

Last edited:

starttoday123

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Jan 7, 2022
USA
Insights:

Extraverted people are significantly more emotionally stable (.62)

Conscientious people are significantly more emotionally stable (.65)

Agreeable people are moderately more emotionally stable (.44)

Extraverted people are slightly more agreeable (.24)

Open people are moderately more intelligent (.33)

Conscientious people are slightly more intelligent (.29)

Emotionally stable people are moderately more satisfied with their jobs (.26,) have moderately higher incomes (.32,) have moderately higher status (.27,) and enjoy moderately greater intrinsic career success (.34)

Extraverted people make moderately more money (.24)

Open people have moderately higher Occupational Status (.26)

Conscientious people have moderately higher incomes (.34) and significantly higher occupational status (.48) and significantly higher extrinsic career success (.50)

Intelligent people (as measured by g-mental ability) have moderately higher job satisfaction (.25) and income (.29) and have significantly higher occupational status (.48) and extrinsic career success (.53)
Wow 62% but its a statistic that depends on how accurate the testing is that determines extroverted from introverted

Stepan

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Sep 17, 2022
Russia
Okay, we’re going to get into some deep and really cool stuff here. I bounced back and forth for almost a year on this forum as to whether I even wanted to post about this, since I’m planning on saving the materials for a book. But the more I think about it I think it's such an essential thread that I'd feel like a dick for not posting. Plus putting things out there helps you refine your ideas.

I know there's a lot of info here but this post is going to go over ways to actual, scientifically validated ways to improve Locus of Control, increase Motivation, boost Self-Control and build all the traits that are core to building wealth. Again, this is all scientifically validated, evidence-based approaches. Not the stuff you hear that have you feeling motivated for a week, then once the effect wanes you’re back in the same boat.

View attachment 26212

Understanding this stuff can have a whopping effect on your bottom line, health and happiness. This is often the 'missing link' to success. If you’re already wealthy, this can help make you wealthier. If you havent yet achieved success, this may be the magic ticket. It may also improve your happiness, your relationships and other major areas. This stuff took me a good 10+ years to piece together out and it’s the info I wish I had when I was 21.

A lot of this comes from my personal battles as well as other things. Up until the age of around 25 I was a chronic underachiever. My IQ was in the top 5%, but what was I doing? Working at a Water Damage Removal company. People would tell me ‘dude you can do so much more… why are you cleaning water out of people’s basements?’ I honestly didn't know the answer to that.

It made me not only want to figure out my own life, but figure out why some people were successful in life and why some weren’t in order to reverse engineer it for anyone. So I did what I always do… pour over the data and connect the dots.

This post will be broken into two sections: what causes people to be successful according to data, and how you can potentially use that info to become even more successful.

So before we even go into anything, we have to very briefly define the personality traits a little bit, since personality traits play an enormous role in any type of life success. Big 5 personality is somewhat similar to the MBTI, it just has a lot more scientific validity. So bear with me if there are any complicated technical terms as everything will be explained. There’s no need to memorize any of these terms, just get an idea of the different traits.

View attachment 26207

So okay, what makes somebody successful? Well, of course, to find out we’ll look at the data. This is a chart I made from data taken from a study on how personality traits and intelligence predict career success:

View attachment 26206

Data from: THE BIG FIVE PERSONALITY TRAITS, GENERAL MENTAL ABILITY, AND CAREER SUCCESS ACROSS THE LIFE SPAN, (T Judge et al)

How to read the chart: basically the higher the number and the darker the box, the bigger the correlation. A 1.0 correlation is a perfect correlation but those are virtually nonexistent in Social Science research. .3 considered is big, .4 is really big, .5 is enormous. Even .2 is a pretty decent finding. So don’t look for any perfect 1.0 correlations. They’re unicorns. They don’t exist except when measuring the same exact thing.

So what does this tell us? Again, the darker the color, the higher the correlation. So for Extrinsic Career Success, the most notable correlations are with g-Mental Ability (general intelligence) and a trait called Conscientiousness, both coming at whopping .5 correlations. From Wikipedia:

Conscientiousness is the personality trait of being careful, or diligent. Conscientiousness implies a desire to do a task well, and to take obligations to others seriously. Conscientious people tend to be efficient and organized as opposed to easy-going and disorderly. They exhibit a tendency to show self-discipline, act dutifully, and aim for achievement; they display planned rather than spontaneous behavior; and they are generally dependable. It is manifested in characteristic behaviors such as being neat, and systematic; also including such elements as carefulness, thoroughness, and deliberation (the tendency to think carefully before acting.)

Going back to the chart, Conscientiousness predicted Extrinsic career success even better than intelligence. I’m not going to focus on Intelligence here, since there aren’t many reliable methods of improving it as of now. Maybe we’ll go into it in another post, but for now, Conscientiousness is the biggest thing we can improve and this trait has a whopping effect on success. Learning to harness it will give people pretty much whatever level of success they want.

Conscientiousness also predicts success in a number of other areas:

Our findings suggest that conscientiousness is the trait most broadly associated with marital satisfaction in this sample of long-wed couples.

Personality traits and marital satisfaction within enduring relationships - Journal of Social and Personal Relationships

People with high Conscientiousness were also found to earn better SAT scores, have higher educational attainment, have a lower BMI, have better health, are less likely to divorce or become single mothers/fathers and a number of other important measures.

This article investigates how personality and cognitive ability relate to measures of objective success (income and wealth) and subjective success (life satisfaction, positive [emotion], and lack of negative [emotion].) Thus, the benefits of conscientiousness may be remarkable more for their ubiquity than for their magnitude.

Who Does Well in Life? Conscientious Adults Excel in Both Objective and Subjective Success - Frontiers in Psychology

According to Dr. DeYoung’s model Conscientiousness has two facets (subcategories) - Orderliness and Industriousness. Orderliness is organizational skills and Industriousness is essentially being a hard worker. Industriousness is a much better predictor. In other words, Being hard working is an enormous predictor of success. May sound obvious, but we need ways to boost that trait.

View attachment 26208

Conscientiousness also a very good predictor of overall happiness:

In general, conscientiousness has a positive relationship with subjective well-being, particularly satisfaction with life, so highly conscientious people tend to be happier with their lives than those who score low on this trait. Although conscientiousness is generally seen as a positive trait to possess, recent research has suggested that in some situations it may be harmful for well-being. In a prospective study of 9570 individuals over four years, highly conscientious people suffered more than twice as much if they became unemployed.

So let’s go back to the chart because there are a number of other interesting insights here.

View attachment 26210

One interesting thing here is the string of negative correlations between success and the trait Agreeableness. But also note that with the exception of Job Satisfaction, the correlation is very small only explaining ~1% of the variation. But for Job Satisfaction, we get a somewhat large .26 negative correlation. This means that being too agreeable is harmful to Job Satisfaction.

View attachment 26209

Agreeableness is a personality trait manifesting itself in individual behavioral characteristics that are perceived as kind, sympathetic, cooperative, warm, and considerate. People who score high on this dimension are empathetic and altruistic, while a low agreeableness score relates to selfish behavior and a lack of empathy.

This is likely because being a pushover is bad for success. Especially when it comes to Job Satisfaction. It seems that the data backs up the old “nice guys finish last” adage. But, I think there’s a balance you have to attain, and you want yourself to be somewhere in the middle. If you’re too Agreeable, you’re a pushover who gets stepped on. If you’re too Disagreeable, you’re basically a sociopath, willing to step on anyone or anything to get what you want, who will likely go to jail with Bernie Madoff pretty soon.

Those who score very low on agreeableness show signs of dark triad behavior such as manipulation and competing with others rather than cooperating.

So finding that balance is important. Other research cited in Barking up the Wrong Tree showed that the ideal strategy is to be nice to people in general, but if they mess with you, don't hesitate to put them in their place. Be nice, but have boundaries.

How Openness relates to career success. Openness very strongly relates to creativity. Open people are significantly more creative.

The Number One Predictor of Creativity? Openness to Experience | InformED

Openness indicates how open-minded a person is. A person with a high level of openness to experience in a personality test enjoys trying new things.

So in the data, this tells us that Creativity does not contribute to Income or Job Satisfaction at all. But Openness does contribute to Occupational Status and Extrinsic Career Success. It also contributes to subjective well-being. So it may not make you rich, but it will make you happy and potentially give you a higher status position. This is true of Entrepreneurs as well.

We also see that professional success has a relatively strong link with Neuroticism (opposite of Emotional Stability in the chart.) Neurotic people perform poorer. The correlation with Emotional Stability are as follows - Job Satisfaction: .26, Income: .32, Occupational Status: .27, Extrinsic Career Success: .34

Individuals who score high on neuroticism are more likely than average to be moody and to experience such feelings as anxiety, worry, fear, anger, frustration, envy, jealousy, guilt, depressed mood, and loneliness. People who are neurotic respond worse to stressors and are more likely to interpret ordinary situations as threatening and minor frustrations as hopelessly difficult. They are often self-conscious and shy, and they may have trouble controlling urges and delaying gratification.

The last trait is Extraversion. We see some pretty decent sized (.24 and .19) correlations with Income and Extrinsic Career Success, respectively. The reason for this is likely because Extraverts are expert networkers. They make friends everywhere they go, they make people like them, and they usually have a pretty good sales ability. They meet people and sell themselves well. I posted my personal techniques on Networking here a while back:

Fastlane Forums - How To Build An Ungodly, Mind-Blowingly Amazing Network.

[...to be continued]
Thank you so much for sharing that. I'm still new here and I'm really shocked that people actually share this info for FREE

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.