The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Don't FAKE what you're good at

Anything related to matters of the mind

wyattnorton

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 15, 2019
Northern IL & Southeastern WI
A learning lesson from the past 2 days of attempting to have my A/C fixed.

A guy I called last summer to come fix my A/C unit ended up being amazing... He replaced the unit in the same day. Had his guys drive an hour to pick up a brand new A/C unit and did a great job at setting the unit up, inputting the thermostat, and wiring the electrical to my basement.

Now my A/C isn't working on Sunday evening. I call this guy to come and find the problem. He ends up dicking around... going in and out, replacing, replacing, and replacing.

He ends up just leaving today at 3:00 because he CANT figure out the problem!!!

Thank God I ended up calling another company this morning to come out at 4:30pm. The guy gets here ON THE DOT, it takes him 30 minutes to figure out the electrical issue, fixes it and BOOM he has the problem solved!

Here is the lesson I learned to apply to my businesses:

Do NOT pretend you can do something and try to dick around with people's time and money.

The first guy was really good at INSTALLING A/C units and wiring them, but not troubleshooting or repairs.

The second guy was really good at TROUBLESHOOTING AND REPAIRING problems that occur with A/C units. He knew just by talking on the phone with me that it was an electrical issue with the wiring BEFORE HE EVEN SHOWED UP!

Now this is where it applies. Within my landscaping business, we are not the company to do small little jobs like clean ups or quick deck fixes. We can do them, but we are so booked with larger jobs it does not make sense. Another aspect is we are not the landscaping company to install pools. We can do it, but we'd rather have an expert do it than pretend like we can.

When starting and running your business you will need to learn and F*ck up a few times. I know I have and probably still will do it. But, if your expertise comes to a limit and you're just wasting everyone's time, money, energy....

SUCK IT UP AND MOVE ON! Admit when you made a mistake and even recommend someone who can solve the issue instead of just running away like the first guy.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Parks

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jul 20, 2020
Portland
Nice write up. Learning should be on your own time not the customers.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.