The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Don Lapre: DEAD.

zaiteku

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Dec 10, 2007
Honolulu, Hawaii
"Don Lapre was arrested at a Lifetime Fitness location in Tempe, AZ, with serious self inflicted knife wounds to his groin, and had reportedly lived in the Lifetime Fitness location for 2 days"

dang, man. Why the groin? it seems like pitchmen are always living on the edge...

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Enjoy Life -- kinda scary that when reading his personal website, it has a kinda foreboding, foreshadowing tone to it. Check it out while it is still up. Also, I find that the photos of the *stuff* (nice houses, landscapes) holds little value compared to the priceless photos of his family and those left behind. You can know how to make all the money in the world, but without freedom or family, its value is secondary.

RIP Don and the one tiny classified ad.

(Irony: He was living at my gym before he was arrested.)

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
Eerie and sad. I like this quote though...

"I believe that being willing to fail is part of having a chance at success.... Never stop dreaming"

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
rip don lapre!

even tho he was being charged as a criminal he was actually the one who got me started in thinking about making money differently. those infomercials really opened my eyes. the infomercials are why I thought making money for myself by myself was possible. not wanting to spend money on his "programs" led me to the library to try to figure it out on my own...

so I say rest in peace and thank you don lapre!

911Carrera

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Aug 1, 2011
Never heard of him until this thread. Sad.
His wiki page says he was charged with running fake internet businesses to defraud people. Not that wiki is a respected source but it's what I could find.

Not a fan of infomercial folks but sad to see anyone die like that.

aikay77

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Mar 6, 2011
Sad. I read his story. The same thing happened to the Vincent James guy who the Feds clamped into prison. He was lucky though.

The sidewalkers in Govt hate rich people and will go to any lenght to 'cut them to size'.

RIP Don Lapre. God loves you and he'll have you. trust me.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
[video=youtube;Nns3He0qYJs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nns3He0qYJs[/video]

Darkside

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 4, 2010
San Diego
Sad. I read his story. The same thing happened to the Vincent James guy who the Feds clamped into prison. He was lucky though.

The sidewalkers in Govt hate rich people and will go to any lenght to 'cut them to size'.

RIP Don Lapre. God loves you and he'll have you. trust me.

I've never heard of the man before reading this thread, but if he was defrauding people then he did deserve to go to prison. I feel sorry for his kids. After all, they're innocent in all of this, and they just lost a father.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga

Darkside

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 4, 2010
San Diego
lmfao at the video! Even though I'm black, I found the part with the black guy hilarious.

"Even I was able to make money on Don's program, and I'm a black guy!"

Darkside

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 4, 2010
San Diego
@bateati

He was probably guilty, so he figured that putting an end to it quickly would be better than going through the trial and years of being in prison. If he was innocent, he would have fought it out like most people.

Also, the shame of public embarrassment is often too much for some people to handle.

A

Anon3587x

@bateati

He was probably guilty, so he figured that putting an end to it quickly would be better than going through the trial and years of being in prison. If he was innocent, he would have fought it out like most people.

Also, the shame of public embarrassment is often too much for some people to handle.

I agree with the above completely.

I look down on people who obtain their self worth from the way other people view them. People can be shallow and tasteless creatures, you would have to be a complete fool to let them get the best of you. I never feel bad for anybody who commits suicide, it irritates me.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
For those not familiar with Don Lapre, he was popular pre-internet.

[video=youtube;mubCkCAEiDQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mubCkCAEiDQ[/video]

Of course one would argue, if you're making $50K/wk from your 1-bedroom apartment, shouldn't you be able to upgrade into a two bedroom? Or at least a 3bed/2ba house?

kahem89

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Jul 20, 2011
Norway, Oslo
Dunno the guy.

But Im no fan of scamming your way to riches.

I also think that the only one to blame if you do get scammed, is yourself, also 9 of 10 people who get scammed is often victim of their own greed (ironic?) :)

To good to be true, Hell yeah.

Cheers

Darkside

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 4, 2010
San Diego
Dunno the guy.

But Im no fan of scamming your way to riches.

I also think that the only one to blame if you do get scammed, is yourself, also 9 of 10 people who get scammed is often victim of their own greed (ironic?) :)

To good to be true, Hell yeah.

Cheers

Victims of their own stupidity, as well. There are plenty of greedy people who wouldn't fall for scams because they have enough brain cells to realize that they are scams. If some guy claiming to be a Nigerian prince sends you an email talking about how he'll transfer 10 million into your bank account if you send him $1,000, and you still send him a check, then you're pretty stupid.

77startup

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Aug 4, 2011
Chicago
@bateati

One thing we must remember is that once a governing power wants to go after you being innocent or guilty doesn't matter nearly as much as whether they feel they can win the case or not.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I bought Don Lapre's program back in 1992. Looking back at the program, I don't think it was a 100% scam. It may not have been a solid easy program, but how is that different than all those real estate tax liens or flipping programs? None of them are easy.

The SCAM was that with his program your one tiny classified ad was to sell his "One Tiny Classified Ad Product." It was basically the make money stuffing enveloped scam.

Looking back, if I had a product to sell at that time. His program would have helped me immensely in determining where to place ads, how to write them and how to collect the money. But the biggest problem was that you weren't selling a great product at that time, you were selling his "Make Money from Home" product.

Now his program had an upsell. It was I believe around $1000 (I can't remember) and what it did was to give you the right to air his infomercial. He sent you his 30 minute infomercial in VHS format and on your VHS tape the phone number at the bottom of the screen had an unique extension so he could track sales (affiliate marketing pre-internet). Wasn't this ingenious? No wonder you saw his infomercial everywhere and all the time!

All you had to do was get your VHS tape aired and he would give you 30% commission off any sales made during your airing.

I know you are thinking, how the heck do you get an infomerical aired? Well in his program he tells you how to do it. Think about it, he wants you to succeed but as you do, his commercial gets aired more and more. The tools were in the program.

I followed it and actually got a 30 minute slot on a local tv channel at 2am. I believe it only cost $100 to air it back then. I actually made 2 sales on that airing which came out to $120. So I profitted from the single airing.

I am willing to bet that most people who bought his programs didn't do anything with it. I still remember calling local TV companies trying to get my VHS aired. How many of you would do that today if someone gave you a 30 minute informercial and said "get this aired" on your own dime and here is how you do it?

Now his vitamin product. I believe that that was a total scam.

There is about a 2% chance I still have all that stuff somewhere at my parents house. I'll see if I can find it next time I go home.

Z5 FILMS

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 13, 2007
The Woodlands, TX
I don't think people like Don should go to jail. He did not do much. He sold garbage for $39.00. It's not much different than buying a CD for $20 that ends up sucking (which was most of the time) and you got lured in with the single that was the only good song on the CD. So he got you for $39.00. No biggie. Paying $85 for a shirt because it says Ralph Lauren on it is a bigger rip off. Ralph probably paid $3.00 for that shirt in China.

Maybe there's more to the story. I'm sure there were some backend garbage they would pitch you with after you bought the tiny ads kit or the vitamin garbage. I remember back in the early 90's I bought bought Don Lapre's Lifetime Reminder Service Package. Basically you could buy these reminder cards for like $3.00 each. You sell them for $19.00 and the buyer could fill it out and receive a "Reminder" about that date, anniversary or whatever for the rest of their life....for $19.00!! : )

I remember going door to door trying to sell them, and standing out in front of the grocery store with these reminder cards trying to sell them to people. They were all laughing at me telling me they have seen the pitch on TV. I never sold a single one. Good times thanks to Don!! :) The kit cost me $39.95 but the memories from it were priceless!

Snuffing yourself is pretty chickenshit though. There's the possibility he could have got only a few years. I did not know he had kids. That's even worse.

Here's his wife (I think she is but not sure) pitching his vitamin MLM gimmick.

[video=youtube;NqG7t2Mhreg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqG7t2Mhreg&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL72B04CEB85C0410C[/video]

Steven Williams

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
Aug 29, 2011
Kenosha
He was good friend of mine

Yes Don had two children and a wife. Over that past year I'd been networking back and forth with him about Internet marketing. We would advertise on Facebook and compare results. We were also working on a new technology that would enable a business to have live face to face customer service online.

My company is currently using it now.

I was shocked that he took his own life but there was something going on with one of his children that took almost all of his energy out of him. Out of respect for him and his family I will keep that secret forever.

I can tell you that he told me exactly how to build a $40 million dollar a year business and I think what he is guilty of was making people think they could get rich with out working. We talked about that and he advised me to always be transparent in my business.

He paid millions in refunds and I know this for a fact.

R.I.P Don from your friend Steven

CMCarlin

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jan 30, 2008
While I'll reserve any personal judgment on his character out of respect for the Dead, I will say that I will NEVER forget the way he always said "TINY CLASSIFIED ADS IN MY 1 BEDROOM APARTMENT"

It's ingrained in my head. I actually read a long piece on him a few months ago. He made and lost, a LOT of money. One business fell through because of some contractor problems (real estate development) and that drained all of his finances, which lead him to go broke.

But, he was dumb for trying to sell a miracle pill. You get into the health market and you all of a sudden have a LOT more people watching you. Should have stayed with the tiny classified ads.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.