The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Doggy Style Harnesses

Idea threads

Uly Sambrano

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jan 15, 2015
Hello! I would like your thoughts on this dog harness!

I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right section :happy:

the past year me and my biz partner chaz have been serious on making this dog harness business run without us and try to get some of the manufacturing made here in MERICA!!!

Here is our first billet aluminum we made! we designed them after racecar harnesses and call these Gen 2
_DSC5192-Enhanced.jpg

We have not sold any gen 2 cuz were trying to build an email list first to do some pre-orders to pay for the manufacturing
but we have sold multiple Gen 1 harnesses when we were making them and they looked like this
36769233_443703726103229_1236333549066387456_n (1).jpg

Let me know what you guys think! and if you have any tips for growing our email list for pre orders please let me know, thank you all for your time i really appreciate it!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ

the past year me and my biz partner chaz have been serious on making this dog harness business run without us and try to get some of the manufacturing made here in MERICA!!!

Here is our first billet aluminum we made! we designed them after racecar harnesses and call these Gen 2
View attachment 48132

We have not sold any gen 2 cuz were trying to build an email list first to do some pre-orders to pay for the manufacturing
but we have sold multiple Gen 1 harnesses when we were making them and they looked like this
View attachment 48134

Let me know what you guys think! and if you have any tips for growing our email list for pre orders please let me know, thank you all for your time i really appreciate it!
Is that like a quick release lever on the harness?

I'm not sure what I'm looking at here...

Uly Sambrano

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jan 15, 2015

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Am I the only one who thought "cool, a poster with a dog-centric invention"? Can't wait to see what posters post about this...

Then everyone makes the same joke Droops did? (BTW Droops, you got a new nickname).

Where's @biophase when I need him?

View: https://youtube.com/shorts/e2m6LvHX4tc?feature=share

yup you are correct! here's a video that shows its function

It's been a while since I've been in the dog industry, or even had a dog that could use something like this. I mainly asking out of curiosity. How many units are you moving of Gen 1? What's your distribution channels?

To answer your question, back in the day I used to just hit up dog bloggers with a following. I would also use "side door" marketing tactics like creating fan pages like "I love my pittie" and harvest emails from people posting on that...

Last edited:

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Am I the only one who thought "cool, a poster with a dog-centric invention"? Can't wait to see what posters post about this...

Then everyone makes the same joke Droops did? (BTW Droops, you got a new nickname).

It's been a while since I've been in the dog industry, or even had a dog that could use something like this. I mainly asking out of curiosity. How many units are you moving of Gen 1? What's your distribution channels?

To answer your question, back in the day I used to just hit up dog bloggers with a following. I would also use "side door" marketing tactics like creating fan pages like "I love my pittie" and harvest emails from people posting on that...
My initial reaction is that it looks heavy. What’s the benefit of this harness vs ones that use a smaller metal clasp or even a nylon clasp.

The large metal adjustments on the shoulder are in a bad spot. It will rub when the dogs walks. It looks too large and flat.

The back metal adjustments look like they will rub too.

Most harnesses try to be lighter and use smaller straps to limit the chaffing. Have you tried this on a dog running or trotting for a period of time?

I mean it looks cool. But functionally I’m not sure it works.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015

View attachment 48132

View attachment 48134

First impressions are it doesn't look very comfortable. It looks like it is designed for big dogs, ergo you have to expect some will be pulling hard. The front bit looks like it will ride up and choke the dog. The back bit looks too close to the groin, which will effect comfort and get wet when the dog takes a pee.

Also those metal buckles will catch on fur and will possibly nip skin. Also if dog does that doggy thing of rolling around on its back, those buckles look painful.

I personally wouldn't buy it for my dog (and I'm in the market for a new harness).

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
First impressions are it doesn't look very comfortable. It looks like it is designed for big dogs, ergo you have to expect some will be pulling hard. The front bit looks like it will ride up and choke the dog. The back bit looks too close to the groin, which will effect comfort and get wet when the dog takes a pee.

Also those metal buckles will catch on fur and will possibly nip skin. Also if dog does that doggy thing of rolling around on its back, those buckles look painful.

I personally wouldn't buy it for my dog (and I'm in the market for a new harness).
Also on an SEO note. Good luck trying to rank for your brand name. I think the name is horrible. It’s catchy but who is going to find your website without knowing and typing the actual URL?

And there’s no way for you to run any ads for it and it will be very hard to find influencers.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
This looks like it is very well constructed, good job.

However as someone mentioned, the big metal lock on the back of the harness would be brutal on my dog who likes to lay on his back. While that doesn't happen a lot while on a walk, if it did, it would be excruciatingly painful. It also looks like the understrap would impede urination.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
THERE ARE LADIES ON THE FORUM

I really don't understand this brand name unless it's intentionally for shock value... or some kind of mistranslation...

All publicity is good publicity!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I missed the double entrendre, not sure if that is purposeful or has any value in the name.

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
I second most of what @Roli and @biophase have said.

I have two large dogs (~90-95 lbs each), and I often walk them together on my own; together they significantly outweigh me and could easily drag me anywhere they'd like. The traditional harness style was originally developed for working dogs to pull things, and when you pull back on a dog their instincts tell them to pull forward - I want none of that. So, I rarely ever use traditional style body harnesses. I almost always use a gentle leader face harness. However, 1) I dislike the somewhat restrictive nature of the gentle leader on their mouths, so if you could develop a harness that works like the gentle leader but is less restrictive, I would be 1000x more interested, and 2) I do see some merit to your design for in-car use. Yours seems very sturdy and would probably secure my big boys better than many harnesses should we have the misfortune of a car accident.

adilbek

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Jan 30, 2023
What problem are you solving when you use a secure harness? Are the existing harnesses not secure/safe enough? Or is it mostly aesthetic value?

Coconutoperation

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Mar 31, 2023
Florida
Hello,
I am a dog trainer and noticed your post.
I was wondering why you are developing this type of harness? Any dog questions I would be happy to answer! Good luck,
Alaina

Uly Sambrano

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jan 15, 2015

We haven't made any for a while so it's 0 lol we're about to start making them again once our shipment arrives by next month from cheena.

The places we sell is online at Dsharnesses.com we decided not to go with doggy Style harness. Com lol and we sell at car events as well!

That's good info to know thanks for sharing! We got 10 smaller influencers to promote lined up! But that side door thing sounds good, well have to implement it!

Uly Sambrano

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jan 15, 2015
My initial reaction is that it looks heavy. What’s the benefit of this harness vs ones that use a smaller metal clasp or even a nylon clasp.

The large metal adjustments on the shoulder are in a bad spot. It will rub when the dogs walks. It looks too large and flat.

The back metal adjustments look like they will rub too.

Most harnesses try to be lighter and use smaller straps to limit the chaffing. Have you tried this on a dog running or trotting for a period of time?

I mean it looks cool. But functionally I’m not sure it works.
It is pretty heavy compared to other harnesses. The gen 2 aluminum (new one) did cut quite a bit of weight down.

so far we haven't had anyone complain about rubbing but doesnt mean it hasnt happen, so we try to make sure people know these are for ascetic purpose just for looks haha

and yes we have had quite of bit of dogs run and pull in them!

check out this vid

and a pic of a dog sled competition
dog pull.png

Uly Sambrano

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jan 15, 2015

I'll def talk to chaz about those things! and get feedback from customers! we're always looking to improve it so thanks for your input!

somethings def cant get around tho, maybe well think of a different design in the future thats themed after car harness still

Uly Sambrano

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jan 15, 2015
Also on an SEO note. Good luck trying to rank for your brand name. I think the name is horrible. It’s catchy but who is going to find your website without knowing and typing the actual URL?

And there’s no way for you to run any ads for it and it will be very hard to find influencers.
were running fb ads right now actually, and have 10 smaller influencers lined up. we even got one to bj baldwin actually but never heard back from him yet lol

Uly Sambrano

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jan 15, 2015
This looks like it is very well constructed, good job.

However as someone mentioned, the big metal lock on the back of the harness would be brutal on my dog who likes to lay on his back. While that doesn't happen a lot while on a walk, if it did, it would be excruciatingly painful. It also looks like the understrap would impede urination.
I'll def ask past customers about that urination thing i've seen it mentioned twice now!

Uly Sambrano

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jan 15, 2015
I second most of what @Roli and @biophase have said.

I have two large dogs (~90-95 lbs each), and I often walk them together on my own; together they significantly outweigh me and could easily drag me anywhere they'd like. The traditional harness style was originally developed for working dogs to pull things, and when you pull back on a dog their instincts tell them to pull forward - I want none of that. So, I rarely ever use traditional style body harnesses. I almost always use a gentle leader face harness. However, 1) I dislike the somewhat restrictive nature of the gentle leader on their mouths, so if you could develop a harness that works like the gentle leader but is less restrictive, I would be 1000x more interested, and 2) I do see some merit to your design for in-car use. Yours seems very sturdy and would probably secure my big boys better than many harnesses should we have the misfortune of a car accident.
I actually dont know what a gentle leader is but Ill look into that! thanks for the feed back!

We actually also are making seat belt leashes haha check it out and let me know your thoughts
View: https://youtube.com/shorts/hKJz02IsSFs?feature=share

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.