The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Does your personal car play a role in your business?

Anything related to matters of the mind

AubreyJ

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Mar 26, 2014
Plano, TX
Hey everyone, haven't posted here in a while (though I still lurk on a regular basis) but I had an interesting discussion with my dad this morning and would like to hear your input--I apolgozie if I put this in the wrong section.

A little backstory- I am 22 years old and have been driving a 2010 V6 Camaro since I graduated high school. I love this car- I payed for it myself, modded it myself..etc. But, I am starting to feel like I've outgrown the Camaro. Not only that but I feel like I need something bigger (or at least one with 4 doors) to transport my dog more easily and one I can put a hitch on to transport my road bikes. Anyways, I've always wanted a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, and now that I've finally decided to trade cars and I can afford a car a bit more expensive (I am looking at $30K) I am really leaning towards getting one.

Well, this morning I was discussing the car purchase with my dad who really disliked the idea of me getting a Jeep Wrangler, his reasoning was that me being a young female, a Wrangler will scream "immaturity"- While a more mature SUV or Sedan will be better for business.

My argument was- Well, I am young, and if people want to make assumptions, than let them- but it was his last comment that really got me. He said that a Wrangler is a Fun vehicle first and then a work vehicle second, while I need a work vehicle first and a fun vehicle one second. And that since my businesses is still relatively new, that I need to get a car that will suite my business life since that is the primary focus right now. That my persona as a business woman is important and I need a car that will reflect that- and that once my personal life is my main focus a Jeep Wrangler would be better suited.

So my question to you guys- do you guys think that the car you drive is important for your business life? Would you steer clear from certain types of cars purely because they would give off a bad impression?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
We need more of the story, do you ever transport clients in your vehicle? Do you make sales calls or deliveries in your vehicle?

P.S. I am a Plano High School Grad

AubreyJ

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Mar 26, 2014
Plano, TX
We need more of the story, do you ever transport clients in your vehicle? Do you make sales calls or deliveries in your vehicle?

P.S. I am a Plano High School Grad

Hah seriously? That's awesome! Yeah I do do deliveries, and sometimes have to drive people around in my car. But I am not necessarily talking about my situation specifically but just this scenario in general. I am most likely going to go with the more practical car- as I think that I am letting my personal desires cloud my judgement with the Wrangler.

get a 458..

That was actually my second choice....just kidding ;)

Empires

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Jan 12, 2016
Planet Earth
Definitely depends on how important your car is to your business, as a car guy, I don't see the Wrangler screaming "immaturity." I wouldn't even say it is unprofessional. Unless you planned on modding it, like adding some big off-road tires..a lift kit..that fun stuff. Then it might not be suitable for work ;)

I can't think of too many cars that I feel would make a bad impression. Maybe a creepy white van. For the most part though, a person shouldn't be judged by the car they drive. And I don't feel like it would be a deal breaker in most situations.

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
Yeah I do do deliveries, and sometimes have to drive people around in my car. But I am not necessarily talking about my situation specifically but just this scenario in general.
<----- I drive this, but I have an Internet based business, don't do deliveries, don't transport clients. I do have business meetings around town a couple of times a week. I have decent SUV for backup vehicle and winter driving, and that every once in a while when a biz/investor group shows up from out of town and I need to cart a couple of people around. So again, the answer depends on your situation.

Esquire

Divorce Shark
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Oct 13, 2012
Connecticut
I think so.

I'm a trial lawyer.

I drive a black Jaguar XF.

Sophisticated. Elegant. Classy.

I consider it an extension of my business suit.

When my clients and other lawyers see me driving it ... it projects success.

And in my line of business ... image matters.

Imagine your lawyer ... who you are paying hundreds of dollars an hour ... pulls up to the courthouse in an old beater.

Not exactly the kind of stuff that instills confidence ... right?

I don't think this necessarily applies to all businesses.

I don't (for example) care what kind of vehicle my plumber drives.

But it makes a difference to mine.

Duane

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Jul 23, 2015
Lakeland FL
Yeah I do do deliveries, and sometimes have to drive people around in my car. But I am not necessarily talking about my situation specifically but just this scenario in general. I am most likely going to go with the more practical car- as I think that I am letting my personal desires cloud my judgement with the Wrangler.

I was in a very similar scenario, so I'll talk on what I did..

The sad part about life is your look does matter and people do judge books by its cover. My business is one where I am driving to clients houses and my presentation is everything. At 22, a lot of older folks don't take me seriously already, no need to give more fuel to the fire. But, if I maintain a strong, professional look, they actually have more respect and admiration for me being so young and perusing big goals.

When I first started my business, I was the opposite of professional and nobody took me seriously. Now the better I make my companies image, the more people I acquire and the more repeat business I get. It just radiates trust and respectability.

When I'm not working I'm in the vehicle I want to be in, but I didn't have that vehicle for a while. I didn't buy my 'jeep' until I reached a certain level of success in my business to where I could easily afford both vehicles. I want to succeed in business more than I want to go out and race a nice car on the track. I know it takes that level of commitment to be successful and that's the route I went.. It sucked for a while.

If I would have just bought that 'jeep' without having accomplished something noteworthy in my business, it wouldn't have been that satisfying of a purchase anyways.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Unless you really are going one extreme or the other - mega flash sports car or piece of junk run around its not going to make a huge difference. I think its a very small part piece of what will make up peoples perception of you. Probably more important is that the car is clean, how is looks inside (old wrappers on the floor, CDs everywhere,) and how you drive. I know when I get in someones car that is super clean inside and out I always take note. Likewise if its messy and dirty - its a reflection on their character and attention to detail.

In general though get whatever car you most want. People will probably notice more how you present yourself, your way of communicating and the value you bring to them.

***Exception: if you work in an industry like real estate or as a car dealer than of course its more important. Without knowing your industry its hard to know if it might make a difference, it is important for a few industries but not really for the other 80-90% of businesses.

Last edited:

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
sounds like you're considering new? (or a year or two old). I know I'm not telling you anything you don't know, but cars are a horrible investment...they drop in value like crazy. Instead of a $30K, find another $5-$10k car that you can pay cash for, or finance with a short term loan. Use the difference to invest in your business. When your business is producing hundreds of thousands per year, then go pay cash for a $60k car. I bought an expensive car in my early 20's and regretted it.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Imagine your lawyer ... who you are paying hundreds of dollars an hour ... pulls up to the courthouse in an old beater.

Not exactly the kind of stuff that instills confidence ... right?
lqnbvogkaw24ypymozwq.jpg

OldFaithful

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Mar 11, 2016
Northwest Indiana
For my 0.02 I'll have to agree with @Esquire and @Duane even though I'm coming from a totally different industry.

In my experience manufacturing physical products, I've heard a lot of comments about the vehicle one might drive as well as the wardrobe. It seems like everyone in my field highly values the first impression. Perhaps it's just a way to quickly size up a rep or company, but it might also be an effort to establish commonality. Either way, few take seriously the representative with an old beater, unkempt clothing or excessive piercing/plugs. It can take a lot of effort to overcome a bad first impression.

The extreme opposite approach has also proven counterproductive too. If a customer shows up in a Porsche, he appears to be a cash cow ready for the milking. If a supplier shows up in a Porsche, he appears to charge far too much for his product or service.

Just think about what you need the vehicle to do, the impression you want to make, and what matters to your market. As previously mentioned, you can always get the preferred personal vehicle later when you can afford to keep both.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
For my 0.02 I'll have to agree with @Esquire and @Duane even though I'm coming from a totally different industry.

In my experience manufacturing physical products, I've heard a lot of comments about the vehicle one might drive as well as the wardrobe. It seems like everyone in my field highly values the first impression. Perhaps it's just a way to quickly size up a rep or company, but it might also be an effort to establish commonality. Either way, few take seriously the representative with an old beater, unkempt clothing or excessive piercing/plugs. It can take a lot of effort to overcome a bad first impression.

The extreme opposite approach has also proven counterproductive too. If a customer shows up in a Porsche, he appears to be a cash cow ready for the milking. If a supplier shows up in a Porsche, he appears to charge far too much for his product or service.

Just think about what you need the vehicle to do, the impression you want to make, and what matters to your market. As previously mentioned, you can always get the preferred personal vehicle later when you can afford to keep both.
it depends on how often you meet with your clients. I drive a $1000 Ford Explorer, and don't meet with clients very often. When I do, I rent a car. "My car is in the shop" if they ask. Now, when I have money to burn, that will be a different story.

CaptainAmerica

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Dec 27, 2015
Phoenix OR
It totally depends on your business. Is your dad your target demographic? Do you need a car that suits both business and personal? Where do you live? Here in Oregon, a young business woman driving that car is just another day.

I have a 'vintage' Mercedes. From the corner office, it looks like a high-end car. Once I get to $X, I'll buy a newer one. It's all about the image.

Veloce Grey

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 24, 2014
I don't (for example) care what kind of vehicle my plumber drives.

I must be fussy. I have a strict rule against using plumbers who show up driving an Ice Cream Truck.

Doesn't apply to lawyers though and quite frankly if I'm going to ride the lightning a lawyer who can make a nice sundae is a huge bonus.

jec1521

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Oct 28, 2013
New Jersey
I don't think it will scream immaturity at all. If anything, a Wrangler will certainly separate you from a crowd. I am biased though, as @OldFaithful stated, I am looking into a Wrangler as well.

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
Why not get something that your customers have? Something that tells them, hey, she's just like us. I trust that person with my time and money.

AubreyJ

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Mar 26, 2014
Plano, TX
Thank you everyone for your responses, I really appreciate it. I tend to agree with everyone here with the statement of it depends a lot on my industry, which I guess would have been helpful to include that in the original post.

I own fast food franchises and am expanding into residential properties. My concept delivers food, so I do occasionally deliver food (not on a regular basis though), I meet with potential tenants for properties, my broker, and occasionally workers from my franchise corporate office. Nobody I drive around with I really have to "impress" as they aren't investors or bank reps, but I don't want to give off an unprofessional persona either.

As far as payment goes I am paying cash for the car (which is why i refuse to pay more than $30k) and I am not really looking for a new one, I am searching for a 2-3 year old one with 20-30k miles.

I know this sounds like such a dumb/immature dilemma to have, but this car purchase has been racking my brain hahah

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Get whatever you want to drive. It really does not matter what judgements people may place on you. It is your life to enjoy.

sWALK90

Slowly figuring it out
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Sep 29, 2015
H ,TX
Got a 2014 Audi A5 at 23 fresh out of college, brand new 48k....(learned a valuable lesson about depreciation)
Everyone seemed to think i made it or looked up to me when really it was just something i wanted
- lost it in a flood 8 months later.(totaled)

... now I have a S5 at 25(got it a few weeks ago)...this time i didn't buy new and found a good deal on it..(learned from past mistakes)
<---------------
<---------------
<---------------

I got it because i wanted it, and hell i felt i deserved it.
I enjoy my drives to work, it gets me out the house more...i no longer drag my a$$ to get out the house in the morning...and i dont need coffee when i get to work in the morning....it also gives the extra push to work on my business to get it paid off quickly..

Now it has gotten me it a loooot of trouble but at the end of the day...its what i wanted and im happy about it ...
When im talking about business it makes me look more professional(people always think im older than i actually am) than driving around in my 2012 Honda Accord...and when im out having fun it always gets me looks and people trying to race(how i got in trouble lol)

At the end of the day, the smart side says i shouldnt have because im losing money i could put into my business, the hustle side says you have to work harder... but deep down inside im happy and thats all that matters..:embarrased:

..mods coming soon :happy:(if i reach my goals in the next few months)

21elnegocio

WholeFlips Wholesaling Houses Virtually
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Feb 28, 2012
Downtown Phoenix, AZ
Hey everyone, haven't posted here in a while (though I still lurk on a regular basis) but I had an interesting discussion with my dad this morning and would like to hear your input--I apolgozie if I put this in the wrong section.

A little backstory- I am 22 years old and have been driving a 2010 V6 Camaro since I graduated high school. I love this car- I payed for it myself, modded it myself..etc. But, I am starting to feel like I've outgrown the Camaro. Not only that but I feel like I need something bigger (or at least one with 4 doors) to transport my dog more easily and one I can put a hitch on to transport my road bikes. Anyways, I've always wanted a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, and now that I've finally decided to trade cars and I can afford a car a bit more expensive (I am looking at $30K) I am really leaning towards getting one.

Well, this morning I was discussing the car purchase with my dad who really disliked the idea of me getting a Jeep Wrangler, his reasoning was that me being a young female, a Wrangler will scream "immaturity"- While a more mature SUV or Sedan will be better for business.

My argument was- Well, I am young, and if people want to make assumptions, than let them- but it was his last comment that really got me. He said that a Wrangler is a Fun vehicle first and then a work vehicle second, while I need a work vehicle first and a fun vehicle one second. And that since my businesses is still relatively new, that I need to get a car that will suite my business life since that is the primary focus right now. That my persona as a business woman is important and I need a car that will reflect that- and that once my personal life is my main focus a Jeep Wrangler would be better suited.

So my question to you guys- do you guys think that the car you drive is important for your business life? Would you steer clear from certain types of cars purely because they would give off a bad impression?

It might be, but it all depends on how good you are at your business. I was driving a 1996 little 4 door nissan about a month ago after my german car (never buying one again) broke down. I really never have cared of what I drive as long as it gets me to the places I need to be is all that matters, we tend to see what other young fellas drive and we want a nice car like them as well. The only thing a car loan will do is cut you short from your dreams, It will hold you back, I will say bust your butt off. Then when you get a good check/gig or commission go spoil yourself. I waiting a year before I spoiled myself, knowing I could buy a car cash, its not the most expensive car but oh boy I love my V10

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
648%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
My business partner has two cars: both Mercedes AMGs.

And when we sell, we never take his cars. They're too expensive and make the client think that we're making too much money (which we're not).

In my opinion, you want a car that's nice, but not too nice. Get something in between. We drive a cargo van or bike to client meetings.

Perception means a lot. Figure out what perception you want to give off and play to that.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.