The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Does it still make sense to sell N95 Masks?

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Buying masks now is a loser move.

People will be back to work in 2 weeks, thinking about buying shit for the super cheap vacations they're all planning to purchase. If you're going to try and make quick money, you need to be at least 2 months ahead of the curve.

If it were me, I would be looking at picking up higher level consumer products, designer labels etc.
Two weeks? Not a chance.

I like Trump, but his Easter comment was just lip service to the market.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

rpeck90

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
Nov 26, 2016
United Kingdom
Jumped the gun on that one. :blush:

The spread & impact is far greater than I originally anticipated, particularly in Italy & Spain. After the dust settles, I'm sure things will come to light, but in those two countries particularly, it's bad.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
no left supplier in Germany. Or?

MHP368

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Aug 17, 2016
Sahuarita AZ
you know what might be hot for the next month or so? , if you can get hold of those ozone cleaners for cpaps or some kind of tiny oven (apparently n95 masks can be sterilized @ about 150 farenheit for 20 minutes or so for reuse)

Might be catching a falling knife on that one though if everyones bulking up production anyway.

I personally have a washable n99 with replaceable filters and the wifes making masks for the coworkers at this point.

Sethamus

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Sep 13, 2019
Northshore area, New Orleans
Is there a specific list (not generalized) of what Amazon is not allowing for new listings and advertisements? I have thought of a few items I want to check out that are related, but nothing to do with mask or cleaners.

Equilibrium

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jun 14, 2015
info as I have some friends in the Amazon space.
Amazon is banning any listings that are related to masks if the price is above normal sale price.
They must also clearly state the NIOSH air filtration rating.

However. I would sell directly to hospitals. Right now hospitals are the ones who need masks dearly.
sell them at a non-douche price and they will most likely sell out as quickly as you can order them.
Every single hospital is in need of masks.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL

My friend and I imported around 2,000 masks. Had a couple friends from here introduce me to their supplier.

Price was $1.09 per mask. Landed was $1.34.

We sold 2,000 in a day @ $3 each.

The market price was $7 to $10 when we pulled the trigger. We weren't in it for the money, as much as the challenge and to bring the market price down and see how many people we could help. Price was set at $3 to cover our risk and provide a small reward that we could reinvest if the market needed it.

We made a little over $3,000 in a day (lined up the sales ahead of time), and now have some masks left over.

I won't be ordering more. My expectation is that in two weeks the market will start to see competition and the prices will come down.

Made a lot of people happy. No complaints. Would do again.

Bobby_italy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Jan 19, 2016
you know what might be hot for the next month or so? , if you can get hold of those ozone cleaners for cpaps or some kind of tiny oven (apparently n95 masks can be sterilized @ about 150 farenheit for 20 minutes or so for reuse)

Might be catching a falling knife on that one though if everyones bulking up production anyway.

I personally have a washable n99 with replaceable filters and the wifes making masks for the coworkers at this point.
the sterilization part I think is risky and many won't do it. handling contaminated masks in the first place can lead to an infection, imagine how many doctors tired from work who remove the mask and have to then sterilize it instead of carefully throwing it away.. idk man seems it isn't worth the risk.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
I want wo make warning to all who want have a part of that : there are many fake sites now offering masks. I get 2 emails every day and I needed some research time to detect them as scam 449.
Care, whom you trust!

Raedrum

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Jul 30, 2019
(excuse me everyone for my approximative English)

@AgainstAllOdds thank you for your advice, so you think the opportunity off selling masks is over ?

I would like to remember everybody of the apparent non-efficient way most governments are treating the pandemic. Countries such Taiwan, South Korea or Singapour have done the bet to systematically test everyone and they're doing great.

The choice of lockdown has maybe driven us all in a potentially long period of confinement. Of course I'm far from being an expert, but I don't really believe in this #flattenthecurve dementia. Microbiologists themselves say that the curve is very dynamic and can bump-up at any moment. Waiting for the pandemic to disappear by flatten the curve can be reaaaaal long, as it can re-explode very quickly (wich is not the case if you systematicaly test peoples before send them back to work).

So, I know I'm over-simplifying it, but I'm asking a question (for I'm quite a newbie in economics): Is the China basically going to make 3 gazillions masks for the planet and that's all, or will the crisis continue in same or different way, making selling masks interresting for a long period ?

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
@AgainstAllOdds thank you for your advice, so you think the opportunity off selling masks is over ?

China is expecting a second wave - so they put huge limitations on PPE exports as of April 1st. The only products that can be exported are those that have Chinese and American certifications. Very few companies have that - and the few that do are operating as a cartel to skyrocket prices.

Outside of the U.S. I don't know.

ARMAT

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Feb 11, 2019
Don`t be concentrated on short time and easy money. Use you priceful energy on
setting up solid and long term businesses.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.