The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Does anyone know how competitive the skin care market is?

Verge

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Dec 31, 2015
I had a great idea for a product regarding skin care, of course like most ideas, I have no clue about the market. Anybody on here been in the industry and know a thing or two about it? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

hughjasle

AutoPilot
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Dec 25, 2012
Anywhere with internet
gonna try and jump in here before the forum eats you up.

Q."How competitive is the market?"

A.Does it matter?

Seriously. If you have something that people want then just do it. Find out if people want your skin care product. That's the only question you should focus on answering.

Just beat everyone else with something better. Better service, better product, better performance, just better.

Verge

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Dec 31, 2015
gonna try and jump in here before the forum eats you up.

Q."How competitive is the market?"

A.Does it matter?

Seriously. If you have something that people want then just do it. Find out if people want your skin care product. That's the only question you should focus on answering.

Just beat everyone else with something better. Better service, better product, better performance, just better.
That's exactly what I was thinking. I know the two big companies are Neutrogena and Proactive. I really need to figure out FIRST if the product works better than the other companies by testing it on my own acne. I know with the right training I can kill those big companies, I've never heard of either of them actually working. Thank you for the feedback!

Aaron W

^‿^
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Nov 25, 2015
Toronto
www.google.com

But like anything, competition is healthy.
Look at how many brands there are, its pretty common sense there's a lot of competition just got to your local drug store and see how many brands there are: which one stands out the most? Why?

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Have you ever seen a lion tamer at the circus stick their head into the open mouth of a roaring angry lion?

Try that. It would be easier and a safer bet.

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
Watch Shark Tank and there's a lot of people that try to get into the cosmetics market, and Kevin O'Leary says it's the hardest market to get into.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I had a great idea for a product regarding skin care, of course like most ideas, I have no clue about the market. Anybody on here been in the industry and know a thing or two about it? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Probably the toughest market to get into on Amazon.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I really need to figure out FIRST if the product works

Who cares?

As long as you have legendary copy-writing skills, a killer trip wire, an inescapable funnel / continuity program, and a bunch of fake testimonials from fake reviewers, you're good to go!

*sarcasm...

GIlman

Still Gilman
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
604%
Oct 16, 2014
That's exactly what I was thinking. I know the two big companies are Neutrogena and Proactive. I really need to figure out FIRST if the product works better than the other companies by testing it on my own acne. I know with the right training I can kill those big companies, I've never heard of either of them actually working. Thank you for the feedback!

When it comes to Acne, there are really 3 ACTIVE ingredients everything has. Benzoyl Peroxide, Retinoic Acid, and Acetylsalicylic acid. You can then add various other things in. All of these ingredients have been around for a really long time, Acetylsalicylic Acid literally milenia.

What proactive did was basically market something that had been around forever, before that there was really no TV commercials for these products, they were things your Dr prescribed or directed you to take. I believe Retinoic Acid and Benzoyl Peroxide were both prescription in years prior, and proactive jumped on the band wagon after they were made over the counter.

So, the real question is what is your angle and how are you going to advertise your products...what's your audience and why will you appeal to them more than the current players. After all, I'm guessing your going to use the same active ingredients as everyone else, so you have to figure out what your USP is that makes you relevant.

Of course this is a HUGE market, even cornering 1% would be a huge win.

Good luck

becks22

90% coffee, 10% everything else
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Jul 6, 2016
Upstate NY
Personally instead of selling the actual skincare; I would sell shovels to the gold miners. Is there something you can sell to the companies selling skin care? Biodegradable packaging for example

MooreMillions

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Aug 16, 2008
Atlanta

To answer your question: VERY!

On the flip side of the same coin, plenty of opportunity if you do your homework FIRST!

Your main ingredient has to be QUALITY, in ingredient sourcing and packaging. You master these two things, pick a sub-niche inside of skincare like a focus on men or women or babies, or any of the various skin conditions, you can make a killing, but it ain't easy.

Reddit threads, facebook groups, and laser focused google searches are your friend. Good luck!

Oh, BTW, my mate and I have been in this business for 6 years, this coming July. 2019 was our best year.

Caren

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jul 20, 2021
Sorry for reviving the thread. Just wanted to say that competition is heavy but you can always use good marketing strategies and promote your product better than others. I have a Shopify shop and I am re-selling skincare products and I making good monthly revenue. I am re-selling products for acne treatment from this website https://aenoacne.com/products/acne-treatment-natural-cream as well as from other websites. The most important thing is to have a license on all your products and have a contract that the supplier is responsible for the quality of the product that you are selling.
Hello, How did you get started in this business? Are you ordering in bulk from the websites, so essentially they are your manufactures?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.