The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Does anyone here keep a Journal?

Anything related to matters of the mind

FreshStart87

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jun 28, 2013
New Jersey
I just wanted to know if anyone uses a Journal to make daily entries to reflect on? What are the benefits?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ziva

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Feb 14, 2014
Yes. Using a journal is a very important part of my process. I use the concept of the "5-minute journal", which involves every morning writing out gratitudes and critical outcomes for the day and my specific goal (I work on 3 month timeframes for goals). Then every night, I write out 3 successes from the day and again write out my specific goal I'm working towards. This daily process brings my goals into the present and gives me focus and clarity about action I need to take to reach these goals. It has been transformative for me and my level of success since I started keeping this journal last fall.

Disciple

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Dec 23, 2014
I have a friend who keeps a journal, and I've often considered one myself. However, whenever I try to, I simply stop after some time.

However, no that I think about it, a part of the problem I had has long since been interfering with my writing altogether. Perhaps I'll take this coincidence as a means to try it out again, under different rules.

Determined2012

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jun 22, 2012
Chicago, IL
I have a journal. Have had them since I was a kid in grammar school.

Currently I write in my journal every morning at 5:25a (apart of my morning ritual)

I love keeping a journal. Its good for setting, accomplishing, and tracking goals... Solving problems and gaining insight/ clarity about yourself/ other people in your life that you write about, as well as an outlet to clear up your mind and thoughts, so you can stay alert, prepared, and organized.

Journals have a lot of benefits if you write meaningful honest entries that help you grow.

Some of the best journals I wrote/ kept was my time in the military. I re read them all the time, and I'm like WOW who is this person!

Lawrence Barse

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Mar 8, 2014
Yes, I do keep a journal.
I write about
1 thing that went well for the day
How did I create this situation

1 thing that didn't go well
How did I create this situation

and Conclusion.

Keeps me motivated and also keeps me reminded about the things that I didn't do so well, so that next time I can do it well.

It also helps to reflect back and see what you were doing 1 year ago, 2 years ago, 6 months ago and where you are now!!

RamonV

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 10, 2014
Yeah, i've been using a journal since i was 18 y/o (i'm almost 26 now). I started doing it as some sort of autobiography i can leave others to see how i got where i am (when i become millionaire). The benefits are well worth the effort. Let's see some of them:

- You'll develop discipline or enhance it if you're already a disciplined person.
- You'll become more creative since sometimes you'll have to force yourself to write about something.
- You'll have a source to check on past mistakes or successes and see how all it happened.
- You'll be able to have a panoramical view about what's really your life about in that exact moment.
- You'll know if you're making progress or if you're just thinking you're.
- You'll understand your patterns in a way that's impossible by any other means.
- And you'll look interesting to others :p

I make a monthly revision of my older journals in order to reap the rewards of writing in them in the first place.

Best of luck.

beatgoezon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Aug 31, 2013
Yes I do, the benefits are wonderful, especially for entrepreneurs I believe.

Like in those times where either nothing is happening at all, you share thoughts about negativity, stress, doubts and fears, etc, and in the times where everything is happening at the same time, you can get clear on your focus, let the past regrets go, let future anxieties stay in the future, and focus on achieving more daily with the time you have.

For anyone who doesn't journal, I'd definitely recommend start one, even if you think you have "nothing to write about". Not a must, but definitely recommended.

Vinny

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 4, 2015
Canada
Just recently started! It really helps me to collect my thoughts and track progress. Highly recommend :)

G

Guest3722A

I have a notebook that I call my one list. Every day I write down what the one most important thing to accomplish is, and then I do it. I've been doing this for a while now and it really has built me up to close to the next level in what I've been working on.

Jean-Pierre

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Feb 18, 2015
Sydney, Australia
I never kept a journal until I read the Miracle Morning in Jan this year. I write in it every morning after doing my morning routine and it has had the most positive influence on my life.

Its a great way to reflect and look at things objectively. Especially if you're working on your fastlane biz and you'll inevitably come up to psychological roadblocks, both internally and externally. I find writing them out can give you perspective and look at the bigger picture.

It also gives you an opportunity to reflect on things you did well and things you want to improve on a daily basis. Reflecting on your achievements on a daily basis helps with your motivation and its a nice confidence booster and puts you in a great frame of mind for the day ahead. And for the things you want to improve on, reflecting on it daily gives you the opportunity to make small, consistent changes to your behaviour/life making it much easier than trying to make one large step once a year.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I find when I don't update my journal as I do things I fall into slumps, forget when I'm doing, get unmotivated, etc... The more I record the more I reference the more I see progress the more it keeps me on the path.

Also super useful when I'm trying to answer questions like "Oh wait, when did I place that first order of...." or "when did I set this account up..." or "how long has it been since I requested..." or "last year I recall using some service that I completely forgot the name of... ah here it is".

I have no set format. I've used a few different ones - IMHO the important part is writing stuff down, not the method you use for doing so.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.