The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Do you consider working for Goldman Sachs a fastlane job?

Xyros

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 28, 2012
Hey guys,
I remember a while back I met this guy and he worked for Goldman in the UK making 800k a year in salary and around 1.3 million that year in bonus while only working there 2-3 years.
He was an investment banker, do you guys consider this a fastlane job? :)

This is very different than becomming a lawyer or doctor because those require years and years of study.
But becomming a trader or investment banker you need to be good at numbers and spotting opportunities.

So what do you guys think?

Have a good day! :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
yes

Twiki

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Oct 7, 2012
Interesting question, i think it meets very strongly certain of the N.E.C.S.T. criteria, especially Scale (I think MJ mentions scenario of being in the C-Suite of a Fortune 500 company qualifying as Scale, so definitely a GS banker would qualify there).

Need? I guess that's debatable, but bottom line is the market says there's a strong Need for GS investment bankers.

Entry? Yes for sure.

Control? Unsure... I guess you could say GS and similar entities are in Control of the Whole World, just as much as any human organization. But whether an individual within that group has Control, I don't know about that.

Scale? Yes for sure.

Time? Doubtful. There is an old story about how one incoming "class" of GS bankers was invited to a big meeting before a long holiday weekend. The meeting time came and went, hours passed as the new bankers were told to stick around... no reasons given... until it got later and later into the night. Eventually more and more people had to catch flights etc. for holiday plans, etc. and they left. After this hours long deliberately pointless meeting, all the people who left for "family reasons" etc. were canned. I don't know how true this story but I can believe it. Got a sick kid in the hospital that you promised to visit? F.U.

Related question would be: Is Jack Welch "fastlane"? After all, technically he was an employee of GE and had a job.

Xyros

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 28, 2012
What about owning a Hedge Fund? Because technically they still work for other people, since it's their money and they want a return on their investment. So he has to work hard in order to get a good return every year.

I've read the book Pit Bull by Marty Schwartz, and he once started a Hedge Fund with about 10 mil from other people. But he couldn't sleep at night and he was getting a lot of heart attacks, eventhough he was making a profit with his strategy.
He eventually stopped the Hedge Fund and gave everyone their money back and started trading for himself again.

ubiquitous

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Sep 13, 2012
There is an old story about how one incoming "class" of GS bankers was invited to a big meeting before a long holiday weekend. The meeting time came and went, hours passed as the new bankers were told to stick around... no reasons given... until it got later and later into the night. Eventually more and more people had to catch flights etc. for holiday plans, etc. and they left. After this hours long deliberately pointless meeting, all the people who left for "family reasons" etc. were canned.
That's KINDA what happened.

The first hiring interview used to be scheduled for Friday afternoon, but they would make you wait for an undetermined amount of time. Anyone that left for any reason lost their shot.

Twiki

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Oct 7, 2012
That's KINDA what happened.

The first hiring interview used to be scheduled for Friday afternoon, but they would make you wait for an undetermined amount of time. Anyone that left for any reason lost their shot.

Makes sense. I fergot where I read the "holiday weekend" version of this story but this hiring interview scenario sounds more likely. Confirms that the Fastlane ENTRY factor is high... the process sounds like trying to enter Shaolin Temple as a student, waiting outside the gate for days while the Master comes out and hits you with a broom to test your determination.

SeanKelly

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 8, 2012
I've always been interested in ibanking, but I heard the stress is unbearable and you don't have much freedom. Also I heard bonuses are being cut quite a bit which make the profession so lucrative.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Depends on where you are.

If you get to actually work for GS in their investment banking department, you've got nowhere to go but up... or out.

Most people who work for GS end up being entry level for their entire lives. Make it further than that and you've got yourself a truly Fastlane job.

SeanKelly

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 8, 2012
Hmm I wonder how you'd get past that entry level

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
Depends how fast you do it :)

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
So that's $1.8 million a year? So in 5 years he can retire with nearly 10 million? Yeah, definitely fastlane. Of course, you have to figure taxes into this, so it's more like retiring 7-8 years with 10 million.

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
So that's $1.8 million a year? So in 5 years he can retire with nearly 10 million? Yeah, definitely fastlane. Of course, you have to figure taxes into this, so it's more like retiring 7-8 years with 10 million.

Or 3-7 years at GS making connections and learning, then starting your own company in finance and running that until you retire. Some of these guys' salaries are unbelievable, hundreds of millions a year in salaries; these are the men who decide what happens in the world and when.

artfuldodger

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jan 22, 2013
Or 3-7 years at GS making connections and learning, then starting your own company in finance and running that until you retire. Some of these guys' salaries are unbelievable, hundreds of millions a year in salaries; these are the men who decide what happens in the world and when.

The guys at the top are true Alpha males. But of course you have to sell your soul to get to that level. I personally wouldn't be cut out for it. You pretty much have no life, no time for your family, and owned by GS until you bail. Then you can start living off your millions but life is short and you probably took 20 years off your life with all the stress and mental trauma you lived with from work.

G

Guest3722A

If you consider trading time for money fastlane, then yes. I don't consider this fastlane

EastWind

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 31, 2009
USA
anything that lets you make money and make it fast enough is fast lane, if you can figure out how to make millions selling lemonade, that's fastlane.

sandeep

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Dec 30, 2012
Hell yehh, Where in the world you can loose money, screw up the economy and then make millions in bonuses!!! Big brother salutes you for being stupid and rewards you! I want to join those sob! :pissed:

theDarkness

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Jul 11, 2012
Depends on their expenses. I've read about guys like that that spend like sidewalkers.

But yeah I'd say anything that lets you net a million+ a year is fastlane. Even if you're working 100 hour weeks for that as someone's bitch, you do it for a few years then go do something else. The key would be to not let the soul-crushingness of it all to morph you into spending like an idiot. I think a lot of people's spending problems stem from making that spending money by doing something they hate with all their soul. That leaves you drained, drunk, and in a mood to do dumb shit.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
Its a job, you can get fired. No control.

Nope, its not in my opinion, its a high paying job, not a business that you own/control.

Toao

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Nov 29, 2012
Germany - close to Europe
Most definitely: NO ! Working for someone else is not fastlane IMO. It's a nice income but compared to the income of Goldman it's only peanuts. I feel kind of sorry for him. I'll invite him for a cocktail if I ever meet him :)

Pete799p

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Aug 18, 2011
The real advantage is the contacts/connections you will make. I know a few really successful ex wall streeters. When you talk to them about raising money it is a very different conversation as compared to many struggling entrepreneurs. I was talking to one guy about raising funding for his investment company and if they were encountering liquidity issues at the rate they were growing. His response was, "If I really need it I know several guys I could call right now and get another mil."

O and my answer is yes. Save as much cash as you can and make as many friends as you can.

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
There is a general theme out there perpetuated by media stories of college dropouts becoming successful entrepreneurs, like that is the only path. I believe that story is misleading many young people these days. Those stories are lightning strikes compared to people who have gone to college, worked for successful entrepreneurs/companies, then went out on their own. Reinventing the wheel on your own as a rebel is wayyy against the odds of being fastlane.

Twiki

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Oct 7, 2012
There is a general theme out there perpetuated by media stories of college dropouts becoming successful entrepreneurs, like that is the only path. I believe that story is misleading many young people these days.

Eric Ries would agree with you. In the introduction to "The Lean Startup" he wrote: "There is a myth making industry hard at work to sell us that story ... but I have come to believe that the story is false ... a product of selection bias and after-the-fact rationalization." He's not exactly talking about the college dropout story, but the myth about brilliant college kids with a great idea, lots of determination and good timing.

It's ironic that people will often get excited about stuff like doing a "lean startup" as way to get into the fastlane, and they think it's about being off on your own, eating ramen noodles and using milk crates as office furniture, somehow missing the message in that introduction, and also the fact that the first example he uses of a "lean" entrepreneurial enterprise is a team within Intuit corporation.

Toao

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Nov 29, 2012
Germany - close to Europe
Originally Posted by Toao
Most definitely: NO ! Working for someone else is not fastlane IMO
Lebron James works for Mickey Arison. Bit of an extreme example but im sure you get my point.

No not really. Your statement is that working a 9 to 5 job without any control gets fastlane by which yearly income ?
That people can earn much money by talent and hard work was never disputed.

D

DeletedUser11

Not really, the real wealth begins when you liquidate, that guy can't "sell" his job at goldman sachs. If a business made 2million + a year it could sell for anywhere between 2-20 million.

Plus he is probably addicted to the cashflow he is getting, he most likely wont retire until his whole life has passed him buy

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
I think this job is NOT Fastlane. Sure, it sounds like a nice sum, but after you figure taxes, crazy stress, no control, and the odds that the average investment banker would actually make it to that level? No, thanks.

Some people might say that the people who disagree that this job is Fastlane are haters, and some might be, but I wouldn't trade my life for this job.

ubiquitous

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Sep 13, 2012
being off on your own, eating ramen noodles and using milk crates as office furniture,
I've done all of those things and it's not that fun... I did lose quite a bit of weight though. haha

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.