The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Do They Own Me?

nyc217

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jul 7, 2017
New York, NY
Hey Fastlane,

Currently, Ii am employed by a company as a software developer and enjoy it. But, in their contract they state, “you assign your rights to any and all inventions to us....”. Yeah i should not have signed it to begin with, but really wanted a job in general, especially programming at the time. It’s fun and time flies.

So right now Im working on my idea on the side. i have no intentions of stealing their ideas, customers, etc. i also do not use any of their crap to code my from scratch codebase which is based on an entirely different industry.

i know this is putting the cart way before the horse, as i haven’t even finished coding the first version, but i fully intend on finding a way to add massive value via software for now at least. So, i figure i ask.

i just wanted to see if any of you guys here have been through this ? Know anyone that’s been through this?

No this is not legal advice, just want to see what some of you or people you know handled this.

I thought about speaking to a lawyer but it’s like 500 bucks up here. And that is just overkill for now.

But anyways, anybody been through something like this? And has it affected you ?

By this I mean a company that claims to own you and your ba**s.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

LeoistheSun

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Oct 3, 2017
Honolulu
Do some research on people who got into that conundrum. I've heard of it before.

Philip Marlowe

Every Day On, No Days Off
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Apr 28, 2017
NE
Consider speaking with an attorney that specializes in Intellectual Property rights issues. Do this in-person and even bring them your hiring paperwork. Maybe you need to pay them for an hour of their time (maybe).

nyc217

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jul 7, 2017
New York, NY
Consider speaking with an attorney that specializes in Intellectual Property rights issues. Do this in-person and even bring them your hiring paperwork. Maybe you need to pay them for an hour of their time (maybe).

Yeah I’ll see if I can get around that 500 dollar price tag using a per hour rate instead. Thanks

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.