The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Do I need to test a business idea when I add value skews to an existing product?

Idea threads

Taktik

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Oct 15, 2018
Hello,

I am currently building a functional food and supplement company. I am trying to do that via value skewing (like MJ mentioned in a video on his YouTube channel). So I am taking an existing product and I try to create as many positive value skews as possible to win the value competition and get sales.

The question that comes to my mind now is: do I even need to test this product then? Basically there are similar products already on the market (so there is a need) and I am actually just entering the market with a better product.

If you think that validating would still be a good idea, how would you go about it?

(I guess one way would be to build a landing page and use paid ads. I also once read something about a customer first strategy, where you create content and build a community first and only then go to market with products. That takes longer of course, but would probably work quite well because you can work directly with your target audience and give them what they want).

Thanks.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Community, content, landing pages, PPC, blah blah blah...

Just build the product and try to sell it. literally.

Stand outside of a shop that sells your competition and give out samples. Get real world feedback.

Hopefully people will love your shit and ask where they can get it.

In MJs newest book, a character takes their food product to his work place for free, tells people its from a legit sounding restaurant and people love it. He fesses up, tells them his wife made it, and now the couple is selling them faster than they can make it.

Think outside the box.

Taktik

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Oct 15, 2018
Straight to the point. I like it.

I guess, the reason I was asking is, that I am hesitant, because I have to invest a couple thousand dollars, depending on with how many products I am going to start.
I was thinking of starting with three products, but maybe I just start with one and see how it works out. This way, I would need to invest less than 5k vs. more than 10k if I start with three products.

In addition, the products have a shelf life of two years. So that should be more than enough time to find a way to sell them. The risk is not very high then.

Last edited:

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
Supplements. Bodybuilders. Studios. Samples....

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Taktik

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Oct 15, 2018
Supplements. Bodybuilders. Studios. Samples....
Thanks for the input, but this is the wrong audience.
The products are more for biohackers or health conscious people (depending on how I will market them) than bodybuilders.

bracknelson

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Oct 28, 2020
Hello,

I am currently building a functional food and supplement company. I am trying to do that via value skewing (like MJ mentioned in a video on his YouTube channel). So I am taking an existing product and I try to create as many positive value skews as possible to win the value competition and get sales.

The question that comes to my mind now is: do I even need to test this product then? Basically there are similar products already on the market (so there is a need) and I am actually just entering the market with a better product.

If you think that validating would still be a good idea, how would you go about it?

(I guess one way would be to build a landing page and use paid ads. I also once read something about a customer first strategy, where you create content and build a community first and only then go to market with products. That takes longer of course, but would probably work quite well because you can work directly with your target audience and give them what they want).

Thanks.
You can get success in business by making Your Business Stand Out From The Competition
1) Create Your USP
2) Provide Extraordinary Customer Service
3) Unleash Your Creativity To Come Up With New Ideas
4) Understand Customer Pain Points And Address Them
5) Do Something That Your Competitors Aren’t Doing
6) Give Them A Free Trial

Source: How To Make Your Business Stand Out From The Competition

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics