The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Do Any Of You Guys Think Apple Are Starting To Show Signs Of Falling?

A post of a ranting nature...

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I can tell you that I have observed BIG lacking in terms of customer service. I have a business account at apple and buy things I need for my employees and also have apple care on all of my stuff. Thousands of dollars of apple stuff on my account.... I used to walk in to an apple store and they would roll out the red carpet and kiss my a$$.

The things I have gone through lately for service and the accusatory tone some of these hygiene lacking jackass hippy “geniuses” have taken with me about a hardware failure on 3 iPhones with ZERO external damage is ridiculous.

I did eventually get it taken care of but not without a huge suck on my time. I would say screw em, but I have learned there is nowhere else to go.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mr.Brandtastic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
309%
Sep 27, 2017
Parents' House
In many cases what Apple has done the consumer has not judged it to be good.

Judged by who? Who are these judges? Us? A bunch of entrepreneurs and wantrepreneurs on a forum. Fine.

I like headphone jacks. I like to plug in my headphones and use my aux cable. No one is arguing that this is some great change. But it is change. Maybe they took a gamble and lost, so what? They have to take gambles. So many new features are gambles. You make a bad move, so what? You change. And you move on.

But again, do people buy brands for features? Do people really buy Apple for its features? I would argue no. Perhaps I'm injecting too much of my own cynicism. Most features are simply changes on already existing programs or re-introductions of already existing ones. You buy Apple to be part of the Apple club, to be the young, hip guy in his coffee house typing away.

But like I said, I don't own Apple products. Maybe I'm defending them because the people who are attacking them are being far too self-centered. Me, me, me. What do I want? What do I like? While our input matters to a certain degree, we must step back and appreciate that no company can choose to remain stagnant forever.

Apple MUST try new things. In a tight technology market, they try or they die.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I just want a smartphone that's small enough it doesn't stab me when I sit down dammit. Hence having an old iPhone 5S (with a battery that only lasts half a day it seems).

I'm not wedded to Apple. I'm proud to not be an Apple fanboy.

Back to size...

FFS... Why can't I find something as small as the 5S?!?

If I can find another sensible sized phone I'll happily switch when it's time. Headphone jack compulsory thanks.

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
I just want a smartphone that's small enough it doesn't stab me when I sit down dammit. Hence having an old iPhone 5S (with a battery that only lasts half a day it seems).

I'm not wedded to Apple. I'm proud to not be an Apple fanboy.

Back to size...

FFS... Why can't I find something as small as the 5S?!?

If I can find another sensible sized phone I'll happily switch when it's time. Headphone jack compulsory thanks.

Andy! Your in luck, there is something called an iPhone SE (Mr Jobs would definitely not enjoy this one...) Which is the size of the iphone 5 but has all the upgraded components of a 7? (I may be wrong here).

That's your Christmas pressie sorted !!

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Andy! Your in luck, there is something called an iPhone SE (Mr Jobs would definitely not enjoy this one...) Which is the size of the iphone 5 but has all the upgraded components of a 7? (I may be wrong here).

That's your Christmas pressie sorted !!
Ah yes. I think I've seen that. Why do you think Steve Jobs wouldn't like to keep it small?

Are there any alternatives to Apple for this size? I can't seem to find a normal size "phone"...

SeePetey

Highly Trained Ape
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Mar 8, 2012
Elsewhere
My prediction for Apple's next big product: The iJar - A "smart" mason jar for the high-tech but down-to-earth hipster to sip his tea from.

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
It's like Warren Buffet says - Apple is a consumer business. They know how to market well or did (the new ads aren't as great IMO).

Look at the 1984 ad - that was ground-breaking for the time. Also the ads after during the iPod launch was pretty exceptional.

I like my iPhone 6 and my Macbook/Mac. For me it's unrivalled but I also like my Google Home, my Amazon Fire TV, my Bose headphones - I like great products and that's not always Apple. It's a closed system and that's always been Steve Jobs' 'why'. Can't fault that but now I'm not sure where they are heading.

You know there's going to be trouble when Buffet starts selling his stock. Keep your eyes open.

PetePreneur

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Jan 28, 2017
UK
It's like Warren Buffet says - Apple is a consumer business. They know how to market well or did (the new ads aren't as great IMO).

Look at the 1984 ad - that was ground-breaking for the time. Also the ads after during the iPod launch was pretty exceptional.

I like my iPhone 6 and my Macbook/Mac. For me it's unrivalled but I also like my Google Home, my Amazon Fire TV, my Bose headphones - I like great products and that's not always Apple. It's a closed system and that's always been Steve Jobs' 'why'. Can't fault that but now I'm not sure where they are heading.

You know there's going to be trouble when Buffet starts selling his stock. Keep your eyes open.

All that stuff was done whilst Steve Jobs was there though, so it's not even the same company hardly and pretty much anything good that people have said was done under his leadership.

They fell when he left first time and they're starting to fall the second time. They might be too big to completely go bankrupt though because of how much people have said they had in the bank, but perhaps a few failed attempts at new industries will eventually dry up that cash they have- Who knows? I never thought he was that important and was just over hyped, but I think we're starting to see just how important he was to the whole mindset of the company.

PedroG

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Oct 1, 2013
NH
I can tell you that my experience with them as an app developer has been absolutely terrible. From their ugly a$$ programming language, to shit not working that should, to them now forcing SaaS companies to charge subscription fees through the app so they can collect their 30%.

I think Apple is the new Microsoft. I find Macs slow as hell, and definitely not worth the money. I'll stick to Linux, thanks.

Jobs was an expert on branding and that was Apple's most valuable asset. The Apple brand is not what it used to be.

Caramel

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Aug 19, 2017
The Netherlands
Though I agree Apple is not at their best at the moment, I think you have a pretty short-sighted opinion on their decision-making.

It's easy to throw the "they just want to sell their overpriced product" statement around. In the end it's a company and they're catering to a certain audience that is willing to pay a certain price for a certain product. An audience that likes their products thin and without wires. An audience that will justify the removal of a home button/finger print so the full front of the phone is 1 giant screen. "premium" might be the word.

I'm 99% sure their current decision making is very much coordinated and focused on what their buying audience will and will not accept.
Every time the internet explodes because people are saying they made a "stupid" decision, the sales of that product don't receive a dent. That's cause all the people screaming bloody mary are Android users, anyway. The actual people Apple caters to (the people that will actually buy their products!) are quiet and just happily anticipating the product. Or like some people I know, just jealous they can't afford it and will (eventually) spend hard earned money on a Macbook they don't need.

Let me end by saying I'm not that much a fan of Apple either. So don't flame me.
I do prefer iPhone over Android but I have no love for Macbooks or iMacs, despite dealing with them daily at work (IT). I genuinely don't think there's room for Macbooks and iMacs in a corporate environment that is (arguably) ruled by Windows and Linux. Hell, has anyone ever even seen a Mac Server or a Mac Pro before?

mike24601

Consumption Bear
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Apr 8, 2017
Illinois
All corporations generally have finite lifespans. Out of the 100 largest American companies in 1917, only 15 are left, so will Apple one day founder? Probably. But Apple isn't really doing anything new by selling expensive accessories..they've always done that. Even in the 80s, when most PC accessories were interchangeable, you had to buy the Apple disk drives and power cables and mouse and all that crap. Perhaps they are outpacing their own innovative abilities and people are beginning to see through their facade. I admit I use PC and Android and will continue to do so.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Why not? Nowadays getting their phone for $999 isn't good value compared to the best Androids, so surely eventually people will notice and switch?
You think so? Meanwhile Apple like
giphy.gif

It's possibly because they're trying to make a thinner phone, and the only way they can do that is by removing the headphone jack.

I do think Apple was never the same when Steve died, but I don't think they're going anywhere anytime soon

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.